Smiley face Rock AZ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Arizona Jeep Forum > Smiley face Rock AZ

Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinNew jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!

Unread 03-23-2012, 04:14 PM   #1
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Smiley face Rock AZ

Smiley Face Rock/trail. Starting from the mining town of Jerome and ends up in Mingus Mountain Camp grounds. About 23 miles. The first 17 miles are rather easy miles. The trail has a hard rating, but if dry is more a medium trail I think. We did this trail 3 days after a fairly big snow storm, figured that most would have melted. The last few miles are the harder parts: a few rock fields of the 2.5-3minus range. But the snow had not melted complety making it harder and muddy. The trail wonders in and out of the main gorge and up and down. Dry not much an issue. In the snow/mud a bit tricky at times. At one point we were going up out of the gorge on an off caber part and the rear of the Jeep kicked out. Now sitting side ways and the rear a foot from going down the edge, on snow. At first i figured i could just power out. Everytime i gave it a bit of left foot the jeep just went backwards getting closer to falling into the gorge. Well heck, stuck? getting out and looking at the picture it seemsed that one more try would send the jeep down so it was time to winch. A few tugs and we were straight on the road and off again.

Over all a fine trail. Very muddy if wet, and could be epic in the snow. A few months before we did this a other Jeep went off the road and into the gorge. It had to be rescued by fellow jeepers days later.

starting point:

winching out of trouble before it happens.

From the high desert of Jerome to Mingus at 7030ft elevation. Air ing up at the end of the day and light.

Unread 03-24-2012, 11:41 AM   #2
Ajkaz
2007 JK Wrangler 

Nice pics, how long did it take from start to finish? Did you go alone? I'm thinking about going tomorrow, just worried a bit about the snow/mud, I have 35" All terrains and no winch.... If you ever want to do a run within a few hours of phoenix let me know, I'd definitely go. Thanks
Ajkaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2012, 12:21 PM   #3
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajkaz View Post
Nice pics, how long did it take from start to finish? Did you go alone? I'm thinking about going tomorrow, just worried a bit about the snow/mud, I have 35" All terrains and no winch.... If you ever want to do a run within a few hours of phoenix let me know, I'd definitely go. Thanks
Well I hate to admit it, but yes we went alone. Could have been very bad if i had not had the winch. If not for the late start we had too it might have not been so late at the hard parts and icy to boot. By the time we got to martinez canyon part of it was geting late and dark. we started out that day at Sedona's broken arrow then went to Jerome.

The trail in dry weather I would say about 4-5 hours? I have to say by the time we got to the canyon part it was looking like Blair witch. Well perhaps that was from going through the gost towns first and that dang sign that said "is there life after death " lol.

The weather is warming I do not think the snow will last a few more days excepting north facing slops, like the one we got stuck at. well not stuck but i did not want to fall in the trench, alone. So winching was a safty precaution, in leu of getting stuck down the trench were the ground was not known. There is a zillion small trees about this part too so you can pick a best line to recover rather well.

The area of Mingus/sedona is a bit out of our area, makes long drive and day. I am getting ready for our Hard core poker run this months end. 2 days of club events. So wont be able to meet you there this week end but perhaps after april 1st(sometime). i would like to do Mingus too ?

Still washing the jeep that dang mud is every where. Though i may have picked up gold by all the black sand washing off with red mud. To bad I do not know how to pan.

BE VERY careful if you get out there alone. Our trip by the look of the tracks. it was at least 3 days since anyone had made the run. Thats a long time if you get stranded, we did have cell service, but romming only. The rock area is going to be wet some time, so its harder than it would be dry. I have MTR/K 35"s and was aired to 12 psi. never had anytrouble to that off camber area and had it in lockers on icy/snow mud. That was why it kicked out, after that i ran open difs so it would track better.

The one GREAT thing is now my wife is SO GLADE WE HAD A Winch, now she see the cost as a good investment. also BE sure to have emergancy supplies, warm cloths, water extra food for at least 3 days and a weapon as well.
Unread 03-25-2012, 10:17 PM   #4
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Wow. I live on the Perkins Ranch side and we haven't given it a thought yet because of the snow. We figured maybe a couple more weeks.

Glad you made it out okay. You're right about not going alone, ESPECIALLY at this time. Glad you made it out safely and applaud your choice of using the winch. Sometime when you're out with your buddies you might take a chance, (Here, hold my beer!) But when you go it alone, that's a different story.

Thanks for the pics, now we know what we thought.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2012, 09:36 AM   #5
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindKnot View Post
Wow. I live on the Perkins Ranch side and we haven't given it a thought yet because of the snow. We figured maybe a couple more weeks.

Glad you made it out okay. You're right about not going alone, ESPECIALLY at this time. Glad you made it out safely and applaud your choice of using the winch. Sometime when you're out with your buddies you might take a chance, (Here, hold my beer!) But when you go it alone, that's a different story.

Thanks for the pics, now we know what we thought.
LOL, very true beer can make one do things you might wish you had re-thought.

OH one other thing you bring up in your sIG. We had to clear many spots of trees that fell over the road, wish I had a chain saw that day. That last storm must have been very windy/ or very wet? We were about to not do this trail after going through Jerome, since it was getting late. But we were kind of disapointed with Broken arrow, just a bit to easy and so crowded.
Unread 03-26-2012, 09:31 PM   #6
ericksin
1982 CJ7 

Dang that looked like fun in the snow
ericksin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2012, 09:50 PM   #7
SuperSam
2000 XJ Cherokee 

seems like everyone has a trip that makes them reconsider going alone... My buddy and I were lost out at florence junction, at night, had not told any one, and we were running low on gas. Looks like that was a fun trail though.
If only I could have a situation like that to lead to more premission from the wife to buy stuff...
SuperSam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2012, 10:23 PM   #8
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSam View Post
seems like everyone has a trip that makes them reconsider going alone... My buddy and I were lost out at florence junction, at night, had not told any one, and we were running low on gas. Looks like that was a fun trail though.
If only I could have a situation like that to lead to more premission from the wife to buy stuff...

First make sure you take the wife. Then when anything happens you can say." man we sure could have used this or that". Works for me

We tell someone anytime we go out alone or in a group. They know where and when we are to report in. I always have food for at least 3 days and water, large first aid kit, magnesium fire starter and lighters, extra down jackets. flash lights x3, extra batteries, Cb portable, knifes, a hand axe, tools and a weapon. If you go alone at least go prepared for the worst.
Unread 03-26-2012, 11:16 PM   #9
SuperSam
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah always we always take plenty of supplies, for just such a case. If nothing else we can live off of nature valley granola bars and squirrels until another jeeper comes by.
SuperSam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2012, 05:07 PM   #10
fueljunkie
2011 JK Wrangler 

There are many of us up here that know the trail well. Shoot one of us a pm next time so we know where to rescue you.
fueljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2012, 06:19 PM   #11
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

will do.
Unread 03-27-2012, 06:22 PM   #12
Aaron0028
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSam View Post
Yeah always we always take plenty of supplies, for just such a case. If nothing else we can live off of nature valley granola bars and squirrels until another jeeper comes by.
Haha I always bring tons of those granola bars
Aaron0028 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.