Sedona Trail Books? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Arizona Jeep Forum > Sedona Trail Books?

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Headlight AssembliesThe Retrofit Source / JW Speaker LED Headlight GROUP BUY!

Unread 02-09-2008, 12:17 AM   #1
cvd
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Sedona Trail Books?

Any recommended trail books or maps of the Sedona area? Going there for a couple days in late March. Probably will camp in National Forest land just south of Cottonwood (supposed to be a large area there for RVís to boondock).
Cliff

cvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2008, 04:45 PM   #2
ReconZJ

1997 ZJ 

"Guide To Arizona Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails" by Charles A. Wells is a good place to start. He describes 6 trails around Sedona. You can also check out AZ Virtual Jeep Club - lots of AZ trail info there.

gary
ReconZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2008, 03:55 PM   #3
2k1XJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

sedona

Hello, i go to sedona quite a bit. I recommend Broken Arrow and Diamond Gulch for two harder trails, and the easier stuff would be soilders pass, Schnebly Hill you can do in a rental if you know what i mean

its a great place to wheel and chill, you will need to get red rock passes if you plan on PARKING and walking any of the trails, highly recommended, only 5 bucks a day and it keeps the fuzz off. if you are into hiking, Bell Rock is a great little hike, also soilders pass you can make into a huge hike, or turn around early for a nice 2 ish hour hike.
2k1XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2008, 08:53 PM   #4
Chuck Cook

Nothng terribly technical there, but WOW is it beautiful. Get a multi day pass for Red Rock Country and save some money. When are you going? I could copy the stuff from Wells book and send it if there is time. You can reach me at <syclst@theriver.com> Chuck
Super Swampers 32x10.5x15 and fender trimming
Chuck Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2008, 09:58 AM   #5
StvDiego

I go to Sedona/Cottonwood a couple of times a year to visit the folks, was just there in December.

Lots of BLM land all around the area. I stay at the 1000 Trails just east of Cottonwood and there's a lot of open BLM camping right outside the gates to 1000 Trails. You'll find a few RV's parked there all the time (a lot of folks from 1000 Trails go out there, stay a few days and then go back into the park).

From the 17N take the 260/279 exit at Camp Verde (Exit 287), turn left over the freeway, Thousand Trails Road is a couple of miles down on the right at the top of a hill. Turn right and you'll see two dirt roads on the left, turn on either of those and you'll see several flat spots where RV's park. There's also BLM land on the south side of the highway but a lot of people park near the 1000 Trails because there's always someone there year round and the local Sheriffs patrol the area pretty regularly.

Stop by Farabee's Jeep Rentals, http://www.sedonajeeprentals.com , and talk with Joel or Nena (if you can find her :-). they have good, free maps to the local sightseeing trails like Broken Arrow (a must do). Just watch out for those annoying pink Jeeps, not exactly nice and patient. The Red Rock Jeep tour folks you see on the other trails are a real kick tho, had fun with them. I have the Farabee's maps too so if you're in the San Diego area or are going to TDS I can get copies for you, drop me a PM.

There are some more lesser known trails (less touristy) south of the area, stop by the Central Arizona Jeepers Forum, http://www.cazjeepers.org , and drop a line, there's a few members in Cottonwood/Sedona who also post in JF and they could point you in the right direction. Give them an excuse to go wheelin. Or you could do what I usually do, just pull up to a Jeep in the parking lot and make new friends.

On the local scene you'll find gas is cheaper in Cottonwood. I talked with Mom out there a couple of days ago and it was $2.83 in Cottonwood. And if you get a chance, stop by Ace Hardware in Cottonwood by the Fry's grocery store, the owner is a great Jeeper.

Also if you get the time run up the hill to Jerome, very cool little town. While you're up that way there's a trail south of Jerome on the 89 called Woodchute (get a map from Farabee's, it's hard to find). I tried it in December and couldn't make it because of the snow and fallen trees (X-Terrains turn into skis in snow), but the parts we did were awesome. Basically just an old logging/mining trail, but the views are spectacular.

Be sure to visit Montezuma's Castle and Tuzigoot. Cool Indian ruins. there's also some older ruins that you can only get to by the back roads. Again, you can get maps at Farabee's. Gotta do the tourist thing.

And if you want a good breakfast place try Hobo Joes, a locals kinda place, but good breakfasts, also in Cottonwood.

Cottonwood also has the only Walmart in the area, won't find one of those in snooty Sedona. My opinion of Sedona is La Jolla, Newport Beach in the mountains...

Ok, so back to camping;

You can also camp in a lot of the National Forest land. This is a link to what they call the "dispersed camping" areas (dry camping):
http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/coconino/rec..._camping.shtml
StvDiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2008, 11:42 AM   #6
jbramble24
1984 CJ7 

Backcountry Adventures Arizona: The Ultimate Guide to the Arizona Cackcountry for Anyone with a Sport Utility Vehicle by Peter Massey.

Lots of historical/cultural info in this book, full color pictures etc. The trails are all pretty tame but the scenery is excellent!
jbramble24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2008, 12:28 PM   #7
RKHOWND

I would also recommend stopping off and talking to Nena Barlow at Sedona Jeep School. She can help you find trails all over the Sedona area. Very knowledgeable and super nice.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.