Rubicon - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Arizona Jeep Forum > Rubicon

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!

Unread 07-20-2012, 01:06 AM   #1
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Rubicon

Our big trip/vacation.

The Arizona Virtual Jeep Club (AZVJC) had a Rubicon 2012 run. Most of the AZVJC live in the Phoenix area south. So its harder for us in outer areas to get on locals trails much ther, timing is everthing anyway.

This trail must be on every Jeepers bucket list. But only 7 jeeps from AZ made the journey. We drove there, topless, door less and only sticky mirrors on the a pillar. Day we left it rains 2.6 inches in hour!! If you know Havasu thats not normal, flash flood hell, im topless? nice start. Bythe time I pulled into Loon lake i was blow dry, wind baked and cold. Loon lake is full, its getting colder and about dark. Our reservation is for the next day, figured a day eary should not matter, wrong. Slept on first 1/4 mile on the trail. All night long Jeeps, crawlers and about anything that can get or might not tryies. Still after all this, no where on Earth would I be, where is my Vodka it is freaking cold up here for July. The wife is not happy. night one

We have a group res i am early and at the group host talking my way in early. Rest day.

Next day everyone is at the air down at Loon lake.

heading out the spill way I am caboose.

heading to gate keeper area, they blasted the big bolders a few years back

blasted area not to tight now

Start of the Granit basin past gate keeper.

heading to the little sluice

One jeep ran the little sluice i would rate this a 5 body damage is for sure.

heading to buck island, our one stocker getting hung up again 33's and big rocks

Buck Island Lake camped first day on the trail. from airdown at 9am we were setting camp up at 7:30 to go 7 miles.

Day two heading to Rubicon springs down the big sluice

crossing the bridge

heading out Cady hill

end of second day getting late we camped at Miller lake.

end of the trail 20 miles of rocks.

Unread 07-20-2012, 01:18 AM   #2
hondars112

Looks like a very fun trip indeed!
hondars112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2012, 08:21 PM   #3
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

I hate the midwest!!!!!! Definitly on the to do list. Fun Fun

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2012, 09:17 AM   #4
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoss View Post
I hate the midwest!!!!!! Definitly on the to do list. Fun Fun
If you ever get out there. Just give us a heads up. I would love to run it again maybe a 2013 run, God willing and the river don't rise.

But my wife by day three was not a happy Jeeper. Might want to leave them home for this. Not that I am saying women can't make the rubicon. I know 83+ year old ladies that can out crawl 97% of the people in this forum and run alot of trails.
Unread 07-23-2012, 09:33 AM   #5
ferninaz
2012 JK Wrangler 

Hey Doc, I am looking at a 2013 excursion to the Rubicon. Maybe we should keep in touch. I am hoping my JK is ready by then.
ferninaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2012, 12:04 PM   #6
gsaxe
2007 JK Wrangler 

The Tucson hang Out crew off of JKO is planning a run to the rubicon for next summer. Can it be done open open, or would I slow my group down too much?

"Seems like alot and I can't say for a fact that it was all needed but that's what happens from reading forums." Jimk403
gsaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2012, 12:05 PM   #7
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferninaz View Post
Hey Doc, I am looking at a 2013 excursion to the Rubicon. Maybe we should keep in touch. I am hoping my JK is ready by then.
I have like 200pics of the run. But you see that 4d 2012 white jeep? That is STOCK except for 33 duratracks and a 2inch lift. NO LOCKERS NOTHING, it can be done. I know for sure he got to Rubicon springs not a SCRATCH on the paint, under side, well its the rubicon he was winched 1 time i know of. I was caboose watched it all, epic for that guy I know he will not forget. if you go around the little sluice/old big sluice(these places are 90% bodydamage areas for stockers/rubi anything new enough you don not want to tear up like paper.), go arounds if needed. Some of the areas if you are driving there in your Jeep and expect to drive it home. Go slow, do nothing you might regret. Its at least 2days with gear. Few places are as amazing as this and still legal to ride.

I am gussing at this point. But it will be with the The Arizona Virtual Jeep Club. And about the same period of time. We went on July 16 day 1#. A week after this all the Jeepers Jamboree and other like, close the trail for about a month. Unless a better plan comes up in the mean time.
Unread 07-23-2012, 12:16 PM   #8
ferninaz
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
I have like 200pics of the run. But you see that 4d 2012 white jeep? That is STOCK except for 33 duratracks and a 2inch lift. NO LOCKERS NOTHING, it can be done. I know for sure he got to Rubicon springs not a SCRATCH on the paint, under side, well its the rubicon he was winched 1 time i know of. I was caboose watched it all, epic for that guy I know he will not forget. if you go around the little sluice/old big sluice(these places are 90% bodydamage areas for stockers/rubi anything new enough you don not want to tear up like paper.), go arounds if needed. Some of the areas if you are driving there in your Jeep and expect to drive it home. Go slow, do nothing you might regret. Its at least 2days with gear. Few places are as amazing as this and still legal to ride.

I am gussing at this point. But it will be with the The Arizona Virtual Jeep Club. And about the same period of time. We went on July 16 day 1#. A week after this all the Jeepers Jamboree and other like, close the trail for about a month. Unless a better plan comes up in the mean time.
I am in, just let me know. I am sure you will be updating this or other threads. I will keep an eye out.
Unread 07-23-2012, 12:18 PM   #9
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsaxe View Post
The Tucson hang Out crew off of JKO is planning a run to the rubicon for next summer. Can it be done open open, or would I slow my group down too much?
I think if you are open open and on 35's you may not slow a group of well set up jeeps(if they let you, i have heard of groups that put limits?).

This is a issue, we had this trouble it takes time to stack rocks/unstack. The guy in the sahara must have moved the wall of china If you are good at picking a line no spotters you can get through rather fast be at camps well before night. get to many stuck, hung up you roll in the dark. AT least have a winch all recover stuff is a MUST. it is very hard to turn around in places.
Unread 07-23-2012, 12:30 PM   #10
ferninaz
2012 JK Wrangler 

I will be locked in front and Limited slip in rear when I go to the Rubicon.

It is amazing how patience, picking a solid line and thinking will get you over obstacles.
Unread 07-23-2012, 02:11 PM   #11
gsaxe
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
It is amazing how patience, picking a solid line and thinking will get you over obstacles.
Well then I am screwed. I have 33s, a winch, 2.5 inch lift, rock rails and quite a few dings that won't buff out. I am one of the least built rigs and least experienced drivers in the crew I run with and have been wicnhed/strapped quite a few times. I have also done my share of pulling out others. I will leave it up to them if they are willing to "drag" me along on this one. But who knows mehbe I'll get lucky, a raise, win the lotto, sumthin and get gears and a rear selectable by then.

"Seems like alot and I can't say for a fact that it was all needed but that's what happens from reading forums." Jimk403
Unread 07-23-2012, 02:50 PM   #12
ferninaz
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsaxe

Well then I am screwed. I have 33s, a winch, 2.5 inch lift, rock rails and quite a few dings that won't buff out. I am one of the least built rigs and least experienced drivers in the crew I run with and have been wicnhed/strapped quite a few times. I have also done my share of pulling out others. I will leave it up to them if they are willing to "drag" me along on this one. But who knows mehbe I'll get lucky, a raise, win the lotto, sumthin and get gears and a rear selectable by then.
I am lucky to have patience and 35s.
Unread 07-24-2012, 09:29 AM   #13
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Patience is needed out there people get hung up/break it happens.for hours sometimes. One thing that happens in fatigue. by the end of a long day out there people get tired, make mistakes.

we had just started not more than 4 hours into it. the group is climbing up hill 3rd jeep from the front isee what looked like a spring/ or a UFO fly off.? No he tossed his rear spring in his tj. 15minutes latter we had it back on and off we go.
Unread 07-24-2012, 05:05 PM   #14
gsaxe
2007 JK Wrangler 

I've waited/helped/dragged out my share of breakdowns and stucks. Perhaps, strangely I have more patience when they are not my own. I'd far prefer to be stuck on the trail with some well equiped wheelers than on the highway with AAA and thats for damn sure. Fatigue is always a factor. don;t foget heat stroke......

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.