Ready to plug your Jeep in for 2 bucks and hour? Thanks, but no.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Arizona Jeep Forum > Ready to plug your Jeep in for 2 bucks and hour? Thanks, but no..

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here

Unread 12-01-2012, 12:36 AM   #1
BLACKJACKMAN
1999 WJ 

Ready to plug your Jeep in for 2 bucks and hour? Thanks, but no..

image-3838010651.jpg

You're looking at the screen on what's, I guess, called a Blink machine?

image-1460595612.jpg

I came across 3 of these, with their own designated SIX parking spaces right up front, at a nice place near me - to plug in your planet saving hero transport? Phone died but, next time I'm at this very popular restaurant at PEAK dinner time on a Friday night, huge packed parking lot, I'll be sure to get a picture of those six WIDE OPEN spaces. Did someone just move me to California when I wasn't lookin? I've heard these things would be poppin up, and I've seen other ones in kind of odd places. Anyone else?

We already have lots of places that support the use of electric cars. They're green, like everybody likes these days, and we call them golf courses. I do enjoy those too once in awhile.

To each his own. But I'm sticking with my Jeep, no cord. Plus I've always been highly addicted to gasoline - and happily so. Maybe that's why me and the WJ get along so great. : )

image-3753404327.jpg

image-3123241055.jpg

BLACKJACKMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2012, 02:02 AM   #2
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

$2.09.9/gallon? Where are you, and when was that?

I'll be filling up to-morrow for something like $3.85.9, I think.

(And just where the Hell does that 9/10 of a cent come from? If that's a price, why don't we have tenth-cent coins, or have a monetary unit called a "mill" (for 1/1,000?)

I just know there's some asinine justification for if you have even 1/10 cent over, you're getting rounded up. Great little money-spinner, that...
Unread 12-01-2012, 08:30 AM   #3
BLACKJACKMAN
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-90
$2.09.9/gallon? Where are you, and when was that?

I'll be filling up to-morrow for something like $3.85.9, I think.

(And just where the Hell does that 9/10 of a cent come from? If that's a price, why don't we have tenth-cent coins, or have a monetary unit called a "mill" (for 1/1,000?)

I just know there's some asinine justification for if you have even 1/10 cent over, you're getting rounded up. Great little money-spinner, that...
Right. That price did deserve some explanation. My wife and I buy our groceries at Safeway where they have "rewards points". You spend x amount and rack up points as you go. The cashiers are good about letting you know when your points expire. So when the lady told me a few months ago that my deal was about to expire, and the points were now good for just over $1 / gallon off, I floored it at every stop light to get to their nearest station 9 miles away. They sell gas pretty cheap there as it is; and with a buck+ per gallon off, and gas prices high, I figured I'd better get a picture to reflect back on. BO very clearly said that under his policies, energy prices will "necessarily" skyrocket. Looks like most of the country thinks it'll be cool to drive vehicles powered by, what??, wind? If this left wingnut has his way, we won't be measuring in Horsepower anymore. No. You'll hear, "Yeah, just got it! Uh huh, that's right... 325 squirrels in this baby, hauls a$$!"

Guess who I didn't vote for 2 TIMES! - he ranted. Sorry. : ). Probably for another thread .

As for the tenth of a cent. My love for, and fascination with gasoline must have started way before I got my license. I remember asking my Dad, "How come the gas station is the only place that has that weird extra 9 on all their prices??" He explained, and its pi$$ed me off ever since! Don't think I've ever filled up at a place that didn't have that damn extra nine. So trust me, you'll pretty much be paying 3.86.

Ya know, I might be more open to alternative fuels when the figure out how to work it so I can drive a NUCLEAR powered Jeep that can easily put out 500HP for like 50 years before stopping at the local isotope station. Just sounds cooler than driving a leaf. Who the hell names a car after something Midwesterners just have to rake up every fall??

Calming down now. It's another beautiful Saturday in the Great State of Arizona! I've got a new lift, and a full tank of fossil fuel that I need to burn, while they'll still let us.

image-701744783.jpg
Unread 12-01-2012, 06:17 PM   #4
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKJACKMAN View Post
Right. That price did deserve some explanation. My wife and I buy our groceries at Safeway where they have "rewards points". You spend x amount and rack up points as you go. The cashiers are good about letting you know when your points expire. So when the lady told me a few months ago that my deal was about to expire, and the points were now good for just over $1 / gallon off, I floored it at every stop light to get to their nearest station 9 miles away. They sell gas pretty cheap there as it is; and with a buck+ per gallon off, and gas prices high, I figured I'd better get a picture to reflect back on. BO very clearly said that under his policies, energy prices will "necessarily" skyrocket. Looks like most of the country thinks it'll be cool to drive vehicles powered by, what??, wind? If this left wingnut has his way, we won't be measuring in Horsepower anymore. No. You'll hear, "Yeah, just got it! Uh huh, that's right... 325 squirrels in this baby, hauls a$$!"

Guess who I didn't vote for 2 TIMES! - he ranted. Sorry. : ). Probably for another thread .

As for the tenth of a cent. My love for, and fascination with gasoline must have started way before I got my license. I remember asking my Dad, "How come the gas station is the only place that has that weird extra 9 on all their prices??" He explained, and its pi$$ed me off ever since! Don't think I've ever filled up at a place that didn't have that damn extra nine. So trust me, you'll pretty much be paying 3.86.

Ya know, I might be more open to alternative fuels when the figure out how to work it so I can drive a NUCLEAR powered Jeep that can easily put out 500HP for like 50 years before stopping at the local isotope station. Just sounds cooler than driving a leaf. Who the hell names a car after something Midwesterners just have to rake up every fall??

Calming down now. It's another beautiful Saturday in the Great State of Arizona! I've got a new lift, and a full tank of fossil fuel that I need to burn, while they'll still let us.

Attachment 516775
we will still be counting horses. Just the one you ride. One horse power of real horse goes a loooong way.
Unread 12-01-2012, 09:47 PM   #5
BLACKJACKMAN
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc

we will still be counting horses. Just the one you ride. One horse power of real horse goes a loooong way.
Fantastic point Doc! Horses are amazing animals! Always like riding em when the opportunity presents its self. And you cover another great aspect of AZ life. When they mandate in 2015 that all cars run on unicorn pee blended with fairy dust, to save planet earth and, of course for the children, we are geographically in a good place. Lots of horse properties with good solid Americans. We'll have a jump on the "New horse market", and build "New Horse Showrooms"! I'm good with that. We can tie our horses off to the Blink machines. : )

Saw these outside a Firestone, empty spaces, and right up front again. This is on Camelback Rd - a main artery. Here are my questions about these:
- Why at Firestone?
- Why on a wall, where nobody on the busy road can see them? No signs facing the street.

Attachment 517471

Attachment 517473

I know.. I know. The places are getting paid to have the stupid things, to test market until those that would have us drive leaves and priusss, uh, Pri Preeiiy? can nudge their sinister green initiatives into the mainstream! Or somethin like that. : ) All thoughts welcome.

Calming down again. I'll feel better after some trail riding tomorrow.
Unread 12-01-2012, 09:49 PM   #6
BLACKJACKMAN
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKJACKMAN

Fantastic point Doc! Horses are amazing animals! Always like riding em when the opportunity presents its self. And you cover another great aspect of AZ life. When they mandate in 2015 that all cars run on unicorn pee blended with fairy dust, to save planet earth and, of course for the children, we are geographically in a good place. Lots of horse properties with good solid Americans. We'll have a jump on the "New horse market", and build "New Horse Showrooms"! I'm good with that. We can tie our horses off to the Blink machines. : )

Saw these outside a Firestone, empty spaces, and right up front again. This is on Camelback Rd - a main artery. Here are my questions about these:
- Why at Firestone?
- Why on a wall, where nobody on the busy road can see them? No signs facing the street.

I know.. I know. The places are getting paid to have the stupid things, to test market until those that would have us drive leaves and priusss, uh, Pri Preeiiy? can nudge their sinister green initiatives into the mainstream! Or somethin like that. : ) All thoughts welcome.

Calming down again. I'll feel better after some trail riding tomorrow.

image-709919032.jpg

image-4003225313.jpg

2nd post today the pics didn't go through. I'm too wordy?? : )
Unread 12-01-2012, 10:11 PM   #7
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Problem is, horseflesh and I have never gotten along very well (I grew up in Indiana - been around plenty of horses working farms when I was a kid.)

I hear you on model names. I miss the old days - Rocket 88, Jetfire, Barracuda, Javelin, Matador, Challenger, Charger, et al.

Hell, even "Nomad" sounded good!

Now we've got: Alero, Leaf, Matrix, Fit (WTF?!?), Element, and other prissy names for cars.

At least Verona (my wife's car) is a name with some history - Verona, ITA was a key supply point in WWII...

Hmmm... Wind power? I built an ice boat with my granddad when I was a kid, I'll have to see if I can't find my notes. Build something like the "land yachts" that they race down in Bonneville (you'd be surprised at the speeds you can get out of that sort of thing - I actually got the iceboat we'd built up to 75mph, per the RADAR in a White County Sheriff's car...

In fact, that was how I learned to sail on water (which I did the following summer. Just had to fine-tune some actions for water instead of ice. Knowing how to sail saved my life years later...)
Unread 12-01-2012, 10:49 PM   #8
BLACKJACKMAN
1999 WJ 

M mmm

Judge anyone? Forgot about the Fit - LMAO! I associate fit with being in shape. Well, there.. There you go.. You're in the shape of a pancake cuz ya got t-boned by a smart car. And how really smart is it to drive something that, when you have a head on with a tandem bicycle, you're the only one heading to the hospital. I helped my wife pick hers out - you'll like it - 300C. Smoking deal on a new 08 well into the 09 year. Awesome V8 road car like the old name plate.. She used to have a WJ like mine, same year, model, everything but in Flame Red. Miss it.

Unread 12-01-2012, 10:54 PM   #9
BLACKJACKMAN
1999 WJ 

Man my iPad app keep crashing and messing up posts. Have to discuss those very very cool uses for wind power too!! Now THOSE are 2 GREAT ways to use alternative energy! Bravo 5-90!

I've been lucky enough to sail on SF Bay around Alcatraz, Lake Michigan, and a couple other places. Love sailing, but since a budget boost for my WJ barely fits in my budget, I've got to stick to landlubbin for now.

Love those cool land yachts too - they do really scream. Looks pretty nerve racking, going that fast - that close to the ground. Like street Lugers - for when you're tired of having to wait to fall all the way to the ground for your road rash. : )

I put a minor, uh, blemish on my Jeep, where an intelligent person would have had rock rails. I just tell folks I got t-boned by a street luger. Or sometimes a go-cart. : )

image-91083026.jpg

The thread isn't meant to be anti anything. I think we should be using all sources of energy - where, and when they make sense. And I don't like the feeling of being prodded, or nudged into thinking that oil is a negative thing. When the real demand, and technology are in place, bring on the daisy powered, flying Jeep of the future! Call it the "Grand Petal" for all I care . If its cool, and the price is right, I'll buy one. Petal to the.... Soil?

Was out Playin today:

Hope any of this post makes it
Unread 12-10-2012, 09:34 PM   #10
Humphreys2010
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Enough said!
image-1050379611.jpg  
Humphreys2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2012, 08:39 AM   #11
SSRx7
1988 YJ Wrangler 

My only problem with the hype about hybrids and electric vehicles is, 1, the plants manufacturing them are using alot of fossil fuels to produce them, and 2, where are you gonna store all those batteries when they wear out? Also how about the electricity used in these charge up stations?.... I don't mind using alternative forms of energy. I'm looking into solar and windpower for my home. But cut out all the crap about how it is saving the planet. As far as hydrocarbon emissions goes (product of burning fossil fuels), the volcano that erupted in iceland a couple years ago that put an ash cloud over the vast majority of Europe, put more hydrocarbons into the atmosphere than all of the hydrocarbons man has ever produced, period. THat was one volcanic eruption. Holes in the Ozone?? I bet mount Pinatubo in the Philippines, or Mt St Helens put one heck of a big hole in the ozone for a couple of weeks.

I'm not saying we shouldn't take care of our planet. We should. But the fear mongers out there want us to crawl into their little world of fear and pessimistic control. I recycle, etc, because I like to reuse stuff that is reusable. I fix my engine if it is smoking like a steam engine. But I can tell you that I also got out and did big smokey burnouts in my el camino when I had it, I build bonfires, and yes, I go trail riding in my jeep that burns gasoline..... and I used to live near pine forrests that were flourishing in Florida..... after they cut down the original pines for the paper mills and saw mills and replanted them....

Funny thing is, they had a huge meeting to discuss the problems of Global Warming a couple of years ago. The meeting was delayed.... Due to record Freezing temperatures and snow. Go figure....

Not ranting, just saying....
SSRx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2012, 07:29 PM   #12
BLACKJACKMAN
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSRx7
My only problem with the hype about hybrids and electric vehicles is, 1, the plants manufacturing them are using alot of fossil fuels to produce them, and 2, where are you gonna store all those batteries when they wear out? Also how about the electricity used in these charge up stations?.... I don't mind using alternative forms of energy. I'm looking into solar and windpower for my home. But cut out all the crap about how it is saving the planet. As far as hydrocarbon emissions goes (product of burning fossil fuels), the volcano that erupted in iceland a couple years ago that put an ash cloud over the vast majority of Europe, put more hydrocarbons into the atmosphere than all of the hydrocarbons man has ever produced, period. THat was one volcanic eruption. Holes in the Ozone?? I bet mount Pinatubo in the Philippines, or Mt St Helens put one heck of a big hole in the ozone for a couple of weeks.

I'm not saying we shouldn't take care of our planet. We should. But the fear mongers out there want us to crawl into their little world of fear and pessimistic control. I recycle, etc, because I like to reuse stuff that is reusable. I fix my engine if it is smoking like a steam engine. But I can tell you that I also got out and did big smokey burnouts in my el camino when I had it, I build bonfires, and yes, I go trail riding in my jeep that burns gasoline..... and I used to live near pine forrests that were flourishing in Florida..... after they cut down the original pines for the paper mills and saw mills and replanted them....

Funny thing is, they had a huge meeting to discuss the problems of Global Warming a couple of years ago. The meeting was delayed.... Due to record Freezing temperatures and snow. Go figure....

Not ranting at all. That's exactly why I started this thread, so thank you! I just wanted To open the conversation. All great, and valid points there! And it sounds like you understand how dangerous the scam called "climate change or global warming" really is. The insidious part is that it's not about the fuzzy bunny save the planet message AT ALL. It is about Freedom - that's all. And I've noticed already that we don't have as much as we use to. Not that I condone smoking, but I use to freely spark up a Camel Light on a flight to Chicago. Did many times. I'm aging myself but there were tiny little freakin ashtrays in the armrests!! You could smoke wherever you wanted. Hospitals had smoking rooms. Yeah I still smoke. Just can't do it anywhere. Just a point about Freedom, and though a minor one - still one Freedom that I've lost. Now, I'll be Damned if I'm going to lose the Freedom of my choice of automobiles. That is just one of the dangerous parts of the agenda of the "save Mother Earth" types.

Notice a couple things. If the hard core environmentalists, small but vocal group that they are, have their way - no cars, just bicycles (made of recycled Jeeps). And there's no wiggle room with these people. Oil is killing our Mother, so ALL fossil fuels are Evil. I, for one, will NEVER be guilted out of my WJ. Just hoping that people will give up their awesome big vehicles is not enough for these folks. They have to FORCE others to believe as they do. And they have to be militant and obnoxious to get attention. I worked at a HUMMER dealership where I actually saw these morons in action. One year they vandalized a bunch of HUMMERS and Jeeps with paint and crap. Another group "marched" on the dealership with signs one day. Only one. Morning actually. There were about 20 of these losers. Absolutely no emotional match for about 8 of us hardened off road salesmen, backed by our meaner than snot General Manager. You want to talk about RANTING!!? We just ATE THEIR LUNCH for them and had a blast in the process! You wouldn't believe the things we had to say to these pissants protesting our livelihoods. We had a ball with these guys! They threatened to call the cops on US as we stood on OUR car lot. Hillarious! They tried to hang for, well, till about 11:30, yelled that they'd be back, and we never saw em again. Pansies.

All I'm saying is that when alternate sources of fuel MAKE SENSE, bring em on! I live in Arizona. We get 338 odd days of pure sunshine per year. Does a solar panel on the roof of my house make sense? Duh. That's why there's one up there. Is there one on my WJ? Not until I can use it to light my smokes!

Little bit of a rant there, oops. Deep breath...

EnWJoy the trail!
Unread 12-12-2012, 08:04 PM   #13
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKJACKMAN View Post
Love those cool land yachts too - they do really scream. Looks pretty nerve racking, going that fast - that close to the ground. Like street Lugers - for when you're tired of having to wait to fall all the way to the ground for your road rash. : )
Hell, man! I was a skydiver for a dozen years. I've fallen straight down faster than most people will ever drive! Try going out the door at 35,000' and see what's going on - as I recall, terminal velocity is something like 180mph @ 30,000' MSL, decreasing as you get closer to the ground (air gets thicker, slows you down more.)

Freako time when I was a kid was to take an old tractor tyre the ones that were about five or six feet tall and a couple of feet wide,) wedge yourself in, and have your buddies stand it up on top of the levee. Then give it a shove - and roll down the levee into the river! I found a good spot, ended up with about a third of a mile to build up speed before you hit the water...

I tell you, kids these days just don't have anything fun they can do, and parents these days wouldn't let them do it anyhow (I'd live to have a bigger hand in how my grandkids are growing up - may not have them play with explosives, but they'd have MUCH more fun than they do now!)
Unread 12-12-2012, 08:18 PM   #14
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSRx7 View Post

You know, it's amazing just how cranky people would get with me when I'd tell them their electric vehicle wasn't "zero emissions" but "emissions deferred" - then explain to them what that meant...
Unread 12-12-2012, 09:22 PM   #15
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

wait to these meat balls foist E-15% as a regular unleaded.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.