PHX Area Trails for a stock TJ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Arizona Jeep Forum > PHX Area Trails for a stock TJ?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 06-12-2012, 12:14 AM   #1
Rabidrabbit16
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Question PHX Area Trails for a stock TJ?

Hey, just got my first Jeep, a stock 1997 TJ, and even though I cannot dump money into upgrading it just yet I would like to take it out wheeling. so basically what are some good areas to wheel that can be cleared without trashing a stock wrangler?

Beep Beep I'm a Jeep!
Rabidrabbit16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2012, 09:21 PM   #2
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Its getting very warm out to be running alone. Have you looked at the The Arizona Virtual Jeep Club. They have many active members a web site you can see what runs are going on and when, Free. Its hot out so most are night runs and Mountain runs. Trails here in Az have a scale of 1-5. If you want to keep damage control in check do not run much more than 3's and under. At that level you should only get scratches at most. many trails here will scratch the heck out of it too. trails in the 3.5-4.5 expect damage and you should be moded to at least 33-35"s. 4"s you are better off in 37+. But we do them with 35's its just rougher on the Jeep.

Good luck and welcome to AZ, we have many great trails from easy to extreme. Try to not go out alone. In the summer if you break down out there and its 115-120 it can lead to death very fast.
Unread 06-13-2012, 06:52 PM   #3
Aaron0028
2000 TJ Wrangler 

good advice in the first post. a person i know broke down in charlou gap with not enough water and things went bad fast, luckily some other jeepers picked him up and all turned out fine. just remember going out alone is risky especially in summer
Aaron0028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2012, 06:31 PM   #4
dslywalker
1983 CJ7 

Try Table Mesa Road N of Phx on I-17.Its about 20 miles N of Bell Road and just N of New River.It will be on the west side of freeway where your best wheeling is.There's also some places on Hwy 74 west of Lake Pleasant turn off.Kinda pick and choose where to turn off.Also Castle Hot Springs Road is another in that area.Don't go alone and have a cell phone if you do.Its damn hot out there.Enjoy
Unread 06-29-2012, 10:06 PM   #5
tigress30
1992 XJ Cherokee 

There are a lot of places I know of in the east valley as well. They have graded a lot of the trails all over az. There is Martinez ranch (Martinez mine) out to Florence. There is queen valley (rogers troft) these locations also have historic things to be seen in the area. Old waggon trails Indian ruins cabins. The forest service in mesa has maps of trails all over az and gate passes as well..
tigress30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 05:02 AM   #6
Billy
Unlimited Ammo

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Try hitting the dry river beds of the Agua Fria or Hassayampa rivers. Just be wary of flash floods. The monsoon season is gearing up and flash floods will set you back more than a few thousand dollars in damages if your not careful. Just use common sense.

Also try working your way to the trails that follow the power lines. I usually have fun doin that sort of thing and there's a few good ones up north just outside of New River and Black Canyon City.

I saw table Mesa mentioned. Bring a buddy with a winch.

There's a plethora of trails around our local lakes and reservoirs. Just go out and find them.

Tread lightly!

Twitter @dutchoven86
Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2012, 12:04 AM   #7
shelnmels_jk
2009 JK Wrangler 

Butcher jones recreation area on Saguaro lake. Soft, sandy trail with some tight curves and leads to coves on the lake. Take the beeline to Bush Hwy, turn right (turning left takes you to some more difficult trails and a wash to play in) turn Left at Butcher Jones road. Go through the parking lot and cross the cattle guard. It's my favorite trail I've been on. If you do some research, the trail to four peaks from there is spectacular.

2009 Wrangler X Automatic
shelnmels_jk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2012, 07:12 AM   #8
FunTreks
2012 JK Wrangler 

Plenty of great options for you, but remember the safety factor for sure. Better to have fun with a group than be stuck alone
FunTreks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2012, 09:17 PM   #9
Rabidrabbit16
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the replies everyone!
Beep Beep I'm a Jeep!
Rabidrabbit16 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.