Moving from Iowa to Phoenix, have a few questions. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Arizona Jeep Forum > Moving from Iowa to Phoenix, have a few questions.

CCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSteinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 03-21-2008, 12:50 PM   #1
jeeptrix
2009 JK Wrangler 

Moving from Iowa to Phoenix, have a few questions.

Hey all,

So i'm 19 yrs old and i'm finally moving out of Iowa. woohoo!

I have a few concerns and options however. I have had my wrangler for a little over a year, and love it to death. Its an 01, 78k mi. Sport 5 spd. with a lift, winch, and 32" tires. I also have 2, 12" JL audio w3's with a 1000 watt amp in the trunk (they are pretty secure, but if they get stolen it's not the end of the world)

Well here are my concerns.
1. I have a hard top and safari top. I'm not sure if I will have somewhere to put my hardtop.
2. I keep gettin told that there will be like 100 days over 100 degree's. I'm used to Iowa heat where it's humid. Will I be ok all summer if I just have my safari top on? My ac blows ice cold and is really good, or will it still be too hot? The only way I sold my motorcycle last year was if I got a jeep, because with the top off it's the closest thing IMO.
3. Things gettin stolen. I will take out my iPod and faceplate when I park. And I know I have my subs, but they will proly be ok as I will have them nearly impossible to steal, but if so, like I said, not the end of the world. Do I have to worry about stupid crap getting stolen? Like is my drivers seat going to disappear or stupid crap like that?

Here are a few options I'm thinking about:
1. Keep the Jeep, try to deal with it, maybe get a full soft top?
2. Sell the Jeep, by a beater that gets def. mileage (like a mid 90's civic) so still reliable, and get another motorcycle
3. Sell the Jeep, get a little sports car for the price I sell my jeep for (around 10k-12k) because for the first time in my life, I don't need to worry about getting around in the snow.

If anyone in the phoenix area, or even bigger cities at all, could weigh in it would be greatly appreciated..

If I keep my Jeep i'd love to do some light wheeling what ya guys out there. Iowa trails suck generally

Thanks!

Dan

jeeptrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2008, 01:03 PM   #2
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Dan, Arizona is a mecca of FANTASTIC offroading! I try to go there at least 1-2 times a year.

Florence Junction and Table Mesa are both excellent areas to wheel. There's plenty of open dry camping in the Florence Junction area. You will probably need to get a permit - but that's no big deal.

PM Hackle or zman for details - tell Jim (Hackle) or Joel (zman) I sent you their way.

Phoenix has crime just like every other big city. I suppose if you resided in a low crime area, you'd probably be fine, but I'm not familiar enough with Phoenix to know what areas those are.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2008, 01:05 PM   #3
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Oh, almost forgot....Phoenix gets HOT!!!!!! Vegas HOT!

Phoenix wheelers tend to do alot of night runs & winter runs.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2008, 04:41 PM   #4
Michael G
1985 CJ7 

Keep the jeep. Wheelin is great here. It will get hot and a/c is a must in summer. I would get a kill switch for the jeep. Move to the east side of Phoenix to the Mesa, Gilbert, Chandler area.
Michael G is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2008, 10:03 PM   #5
AZSahara
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Great place to live and wheel. The heat where you're coming from will make you miserable, the heat in the desert in the middle of the summer in AZ can kill you if you aren't prepared. Get hooked up with one of the many wheeling groups here--always better to wheel in the desert with a group. This time of year is PERFECT weatherwise. Summertime, come wheel up north in the mountains where it's cooler! Try and find a map of Phoenix online with crime rate's for different parts of town. Keep the hardtop--you're gonna need it for your AC.
AZSahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2008, 09:07 AM   #6
jeeptrix
2009 JK Wrangler 

From what I have been hearing from other Phoenix people they say specifically NOT to live in mesa because of the crime and the illegals. I'm going to try to live in Tempe I believe cause it will be closer to school.

It seems that no one is really answering whether or not it's really possibly to be able to keep the top off my Jeep during the summer, this is kinda close though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZSahara View Post
Keep the hardtop--you're gonna need it for your AC.
See that's the problem. I don't want my hardtop on during the summer, like, at all. If it's going to be that hot that my safari top isn't going to keep me cool enough with my a/c on, then i'm really not sure.

Like I said, the main reason I bought my jeep, is because it's the closest thing to a fun warm weather vehicle as a motorcycle. I do take it off roading on the occasion. However whether I live hear or there, I still probably won't go wheeling very often. I'm a full time college student working part time, footing all the bills on my own for living expenses and school. Not only will gas be ridiculously expensive, but if anything breaks, my DD is also SOL.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Jeep, but if it's too hot to take the top off, and I will only wheel it lightly a few times a year. IMO it might not be worth keeping. I'm not so much worried about getting too hot wheeling, as i'd' be fine if I was out in the desert and had my top on. But the other 99%of the time when i'm driving in town, I would like it off.
Unread 03-22-2008, 03:08 PM   #7
willhbauto
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeptrix View Post
From what I have been hearing from other Phoenix people they say specifically NOT to live in mesa because of the crime and the illegals. I'm going to try to live in Tempe I believe cause it will be closer to school.
DO NOT LIVE IN MESA unless its East Mesa/Superstition Springs area, that area is mostly a retirement spot, Tempe isn't too much better, the only nicer area is around ASU. Gilbert, Chandler, and Queen Creek are nice upcoming, clean, and low-crime areas, all in the East Valley. I moved here in 2005 to Tempe from Michigan, you'll love all the girls there around the University, they're all smokin'!

Anyway you slice it, it is a great move, it's plentiful in job's, and people in general are a bit nicer from what I've noticed.

Back to your Jeep, atleast get a soft top, the hardtop isn't necessary here, it never gets cold really. Maybe sell the hardtop and use the money to buy a brand new softtop and pocket the rest. You'll want the softtop because 8 months out of the year you'll have it down as it is always blue skies here! For about 4 months here (May-August) it is hot as hell, well over 100 degrees average, but its dry and really never bothered me to much unless I was out in it to long, you will need your A/C. The only real bad days are when its hitting around 116-120, its like walking into a stove! You will want a full cover of some type on those days, the A/C's range is maybe 6-12 inches on a hot summer day, it won't keep you cool without an enclosure.

It is a 4x4 heaven, an outdoorsman state for sure, so much history and alot to do, from Phoenix in the summer you can drive up to Prescott, Flagstaff, or Grand Canyon to beat the heat for a little bit.

If you have anymore questions let me know, its an awesome place to live.
Dana 44 Rear, 3.73 Gears, 4" ProComp Lift w/ Daystar 1 3/4" Spacer in front, Skyjacker Hydro 7000 Shocks, JKS Quicker Disconnects, 33"x12.50" Pro Comp Xtreme M/T, R.C. Adj. Front Track Bar, RR 1/4" CA Mounts, Front Aussie Locker, Front/Rear Riddlers, EBC Yellowstuff brake pads, Rokmen Power Steering Skid, Rusty's Radiator Skid, Rokmen Mercenary Front Bumper, Rokmen Mercenary Rocker Guards, Warn Engine/Oil Pan Skid, Tuff Designs Rear Tire Carrier/Bumper, Warn M8000 Winch, IPF H4 Headlight conversion w/ IPF Fatboy X55 bulbs
[U]Waiting to be installed:[/U]
*Rusty's Steering Box Support Brace
willhbauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2008, 03:11 PM   #8
willhbauto
2001 TJ Wrangler 

P.S. If you want to trade it in, let me know, I work for a big name local dealer in Gilbert. But I encourage you to keep it, like the saying goes "Only in a Jeep"
Dana 44 Rear, 3.73 Gears, 4" ProComp Lift w/ Daystar 1 3/4" Spacer in front, Skyjacker Hydro 7000 Shocks, JKS Quicker Disconnects, 33"x12.50" Pro Comp Xtreme M/T, R.C. Adj. Front Track Bar, RR 1/4" CA Mounts, Front Aussie Locker, Front/Rear Riddlers, EBC Yellowstuff brake pads, Rokmen Power Steering Skid, Rusty's Radiator Skid, Rokmen Mercenary Front Bumper, Rokmen Mercenary Rocker Guards, Warn Engine/Oil Pan Skid, Tuff Designs Rear Tire Carrier/Bumper, Warn M8000 Winch, IPF H4 Headlight conversion w/ IPF Fatboy X55 bulbs
Unread 03-22-2008, 05:26 PM   #9
jeeptrix
2009 JK Wrangler 

Hey man thanks for the response. I'm way way pumped to get out there. I keep hearing from everyone about all the "hot girls around the university year round" lol, sounds perfect to me..

I guess i'll just have to feel it out for myself, but I'm really not sure where I will be able to store my hardtop as well.. Any idea what I can get for an average conditioned used hardtop? The rear windshield wiper doesn't work, not sure if it's the motor or just some wiring.. If I was to sell it and get a soft top, i'd def. want the best soft top possible..
Unread 03-23-2008, 12:30 PM   #10
Chuck Cook

Yes, keep your jeep. This is indeed a great wheeling area and 6-8 months of the year you don't even need a top. Yes, very hot in summer, but you will figure out how to deal with it. Crime - yes, that is here and made a little worse by proximity to the border. Pick your neighborhood carefully. Get a good steering wheel lock (sure the next person will say how easy they are to break, but it can't hurt), be sensible where you park, take the faceplates as you mentioned, maybe get locking lug nuts. Don't obsess over it, just do what you can and have fun. DO NOT SELL YOUR JEEP !! Good Luck.
Super Swampers 32x10.5x15 and fender trimming
Chuck Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2008, 01:25 PM   #11
jeeptrix
2009 JK Wrangler 

Ok i've got locking lug nuts on it. How hard is it to install a kill switch?
Unread 03-23-2008, 01:51 PM   #12
Stengah
1996 XJ Cherokee 

The heat here is very, very dry, and it averages about 110 for about 4 months straight. If your in a moving vehicle, A/C with no top is fine. But, once you stop, you'll cook. Trust me. It's like being in a convection oven. You would, however, get a nice tan out of it.

If you do go topless, make sure you cover EVERYTHING YOU TOUCH in the interior with a towel or something during the summer. You don't know pain until you touch a shifter knob, seats, seatbelts, or steering wheel that's been sitting in out in the sun all day.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy it out here dude. It truly is a beautiful place.
Unread 03-23-2008, 04:58 PM   #13
Prouzy
1987 YJ Wrangler 

ok well I have had my jeep here in PHX for almost a year now, I had a hard top but the only time it was on was the day I bought it. I ended up selling it so I could have more space in the garage. I do have a bikini top which does keep most of the stuff in the driver area from getting to hot to touch.
And no I do not have AC, yes it does get hot, but it's not that bad... the dry heat is true but hot is hot..... and everything over 110 all feels the same.

i don't keep anything of value in the jeep as it is next to impossible to lock up. I have a cheap cd deck, with a mp3 hookup, I always keep towels under the seats as you will soon see, monsoon season is pretty awesome.
[COLOR="Red"][B]RJC #449[/B][/COLOR]
Prouzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2008, 05:01 PM   #14
willhbauto
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeptrix View Post
Hey man thanks for the response. I'm way way pumped to get out there. I keep hearing from everyone about all the "hot girls around the university year round" lol, sounds perfect to me..

I guess i'll just have to feel it out for myself, but I'm really not sure where I will be able to store my hardtop as well.. Any idea what I can get for an average conditioned used hardtop? The rear windshield wiper doesn't work, not sure if it's the motor or just some wiring.. If I was to sell it and get a soft top, i'd def. want the best soft top possible..
You're welcome!

Probably atleast $1000, atleast thats what I saw when I was looking for one, considering good condition though, even the very best softtops (Bestop supertop for example) is $900 at most, look around and see what folks are selling the used hardtops for on here and on craigslist.
Unread 03-25-2008, 06:49 PM   #15
Prouzy
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willhbauto View Post
look around and see what folks are selling the used hardtops for on here and on craigslist.

I sold mine for about $500 and see them all the time for the same give or take a little for the condition...
[COLOR="Red"][B]RJC #449[/B][/COLOR]
Prouzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.