moving to az - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Arizona Jeep Forum > moving to az

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 05-06-2013, 10:08 PM   #1
griffin84184

I will be moving to chandler, AZ June first from northern Colorado. I am nervous but very excited. I don't have the best plan, but I have a free place to stay at least for a couple months while I look for a new job. I am also curious to see what the wheeling is like in the desert.

Anyway, I am excited to meet some new jeepers and start a new life. If anyone has any info on jobs In the area, maybe career fairs or something similar I would appreciate any and all leads.

Thanks for leading my post!

griffin84184 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2013, 11:02 PM   #2
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

The Arizona Virtual Jeep Club a good group that runs all the local trails in that area. Free to join.

Lots of wheeling in AZ. pluss your fairl close to other states that have great stuff as well.
Unread 05-07-2013, 05:57 PM   #3
11B-33T
Grumpy vet

2004 WJ 

Items not needed to bring on the move:
  1. snow shovels
  2. snow hats
  3. snow gloves
  4. thermals or long johns
  5. snowmoblie
  6. snow blower
  7. scarfs
  8. bacalava or ski caps

Other snow related items like skis, ski rack, windshield scraper/snow brush you may want to bring as there's snow in North AZ if you like that sorta thing. You will need to acquire flip-flops, losta cargo shorts, dri-weave shirts like Under Armor are GTG, floppy straw hat and sunglasses.
11B-33T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 07:36 PM   #4
griffin84184

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
The Arizona Virtual Jeep Club a good group that runs all the local trails in that area. Free to join.

Lots of wheeling in AZ. pluss your fairl close to other states that have great stuff as well.
Cool! Thanks for the info. I'll definitely join them once I move!
Unread 05-07-2013, 07:37 PM   #5
griffin84184

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11B-33T View Post
[*]snow shovels[*]snow hats[*]snow gloves[*]thermals or long johns[*]snowmoblie[*]snow blower[*]scarfs[*]bacalava or ski caps

Other snow related items like skis, ski rack, windshield scraper/snow brush you may want to bring as there's snow in North AZ if you like that sorta thing. You will need to acquire flip-flops, losta cargo shorts, dri-weave shirts like Under Armor are GTG, floppy straw hat and sunglasses.
HA! I'm looking forward to some hotter days!
Unread 05-08-2013, 09:50 AM   #6
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11B-33T View Post
  1. snow shovels
  2. snow hats
  3. snow gloves
  4. thermals or long johns
  5. snowmoblie
  6. snow blower
  7. scarfs
  8. bacalava or ski caps

Depends where you live in AZ. ShowLow, Flag and MANY other areas it snows.

But back to wheeling. Trails once you get over3 are rocky. The rock tends to be sharp. Things like real metal tub fenders are well used here. The plastic "Bush cracker" type are worthless and become trail fodder.
Unread 05-08-2013, 12:40 PM   #7
griffin84184

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post

Depends where you live in AZ. ShowLow, Flag and MANY other areas it snows.

But back to wheeling. Trails once you get over3 are rocky. The rock tends to be sharp. Things like real metal tub fenders are well used here. The plastic "Bush cracker" type are worthless and become trail fodder.
I have 'some' protection the PO put on, but I am definitely not set up for extreme rock crawling. I will tackle what I can though.

I'm guessing because of the heat that not much wheeling is done in the summer time, right?
forumrunner_20130508_113946.jpg  
Unread 05-08-2013, 02:11 PM   #8
SuperSam
2000 XJ Cherokee 

There are a lot of trails around Florence Junction. Keep poking around and you will find a lot of info. There are plenty of places to wheel all year round, as long as you are prepared for the season.
There are also a lot of career opportunities in that area, just keep looking online.
SuperSam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2013, 02:53 PM   #9
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

We wheel at night, or up in the higher areas. Or if you have a/c. In the very hot months, its road trip time. I do the Hit list trails that are summer places. High Sierra's, Big bear etc..
Unread 05-09-2013, 01:40 AM   #10
HSKR4X4
2008 JK Wrangler 

We have local meet and greets first Saturday of every month. All years welcome!

Follow us on www.facebook.com/azwranglers
Unread 05-10-2013, 12:13 AM   #11
0uTkAsT
2007 KJ Liberty 

Whereabouts in AZ are you moving to? There are lots of really fun, scenic trails to hit all over the state without needing to be set up for rock crawling. I can recommend a ton near the East Valley, including Mesa, Apache Junction, Florence, Queen Creek, North Scottsdale, as well as the Tucson area. I have also done my fair share of wheeling up in the Rim country (Payson/Strawberry/Pine), Crown King, the Flagstaff/Williams/Sedona/Oak Creek area, etc.
'07 KJ 4X4 - Front & Rear Tow Hooks - Rightline Roof Carrier - aFe Pro-Guard Drop-In - Full Mopar Skids - Custom Phone Mount - 400W Inverter - Clevis - Top Plate - Isos - 16x7" Black Rock Lobos - Gorilla Lugs - Planned: Trimmed Bumper, Dynomax Muffler, Soundstream H/U, 15W Reverse Lights, Airflow Snorkel, Lund Catch-All Xtreme Floor Liners
0uTkAsT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2013, 03:14 AM   #12
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

what kind of work have you done/education/skills/certs?

If you are moving to the east valley, (tempe/chandler/mesa/gilbert) Godaddy.com, verizonwireless.com, and paypal.com all have big call centers. If you don't mind dealing with customers on the phone, decent pay, good benefits. I worked for the first two, I worked for verizon for over 5 years, before getting some certs and moving on.
aroundincircles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2013, 07:40 AM   #13
griffin84184

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundincircles View Post
what kind of work have you done/education/skills/certs?

If you are moving to the east valley, (tempe/chandler/mesa/gilbert) Godaddy.com, verizonwireless.com, and paypal.com all have big call centers. If you don't mind dealing with customers on the phone, decent pay, good benefits. I worked for the first two, I worked for verizon for over 5 years, before getting some certs and moving on.
Right now I am in retail management, but trying to get out of the retail world. I worked for my current employer for 10 years, 4 of those in management. I graduated with a bachelors degree in economics in 2007. I always saw myself in more of an office setting.

I will be moving to Chandler June 1, so I will keep those companies in mind. I wouldn't mind starting in a call center, as long as there is a clear path for advancement.

Thanks for the info!
Unread 05-10-2013, 01:07 PM   #14
0uTkAsT
2007 KJ Liberty 

I've lived in Chandler most of my life, so welcome! I too work retail management, and I have also managed a call center. There are plenty of jobs in both fields here. Everyone is different, but after just three years in call center management I went running back to retail. The pay and benefits were significantly better but the overall environment and the way I was treated turned me off to that industry permanently. I worked for eBay/PayPal though, maybe the other large companies are different. Right now I am an assistant store manager in retail again, and I'm not unhappy where I'm at, but my wife is having our first baby soon and I'm looking at administrative type jobs with higher pay and better benefits. It's way too easy to get trapped in jobs you're comfortable with. My advice is to start looking early and have an open mind if you're hoping to branch out. Jobs are harder to come by than ever but if you're patient and get a head start I'm sure you'll find something you're happy doing.
'07 KJ 4X4 - Front & Rear Tow Hooks - Rightline Roof Carrier - aFe Pro-Guard Drop-In - Full Mopar Skids - Custom Phone Mount - 400W Inverter - Clevis - Top Plate - Isos - 16x7" Black Rock Lobos - Gorilla Lugs - Planned: Trimmed Bumper, Dynomax Muffler, Soundstream H/U, 15W Reverse Lights, Airflow Snorkel, Lund Catch-All Xtreme Floor Liners
0uTkAsT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.