Moving to Arizona... Phoenix area within 50 miles... where not to live? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Arizona Jeep Forum > Moving to Arizona... Phoenix area within 50 miles... where not to live?

Huge Soft top SaleRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 01-02-2009, 06:31 PM   #1
aaron7
1998 ZJ 

Cool Moving to Arizona... Phoenix area within 50 miles... where not to live?

Planning on moving to the Valley in about 2 years. Was eyeing Chandler as I fell in love with the place when I first went and I've been several more times loving it all the same!

I was wondering though... many have told me not to live West of Phoenix or SW either... bad areas I guess. I was also told to stay away from the Eloy area.

So I'm asking here... where do I want to avoid and why? Heat isn't a problem, but crime is!

81 CX500 - next victim...
aaron7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2009, 07:51 PM   #2
lil_joe
1997 ZJ 

Depends on how much money you have to buy a house. There are some phenomenal prices on houses in the west valley, Goodyear, Avondale, Surprise, and Buckeye. Who knows what it will be like in 2 years, why wait? As far as staying away from crime.....good luck its everywhere, however the more crime related areas are in the south-central cooridor and Maryvale area. What is the at/traction in Chandler? Have you been to Surprise or Litchfield Park/Goodyear? Very much the same except the west side is closer to the sports arenas. If interested, PM I can put you in touch with one of the top real estate agents in the valley.
--[.]IIIII[.]
Obsession is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated
HER's: 92 YJ 4" RC 1.5 RC Booms, 1" BL on 33's
MINE's: 97 ZJ 5.2 Upcountry Limited Project 2" RE BB on 265/75 Mud Dogs, Locked front LSD rear, 242 swapped T-Case, RC Quick Disco's
www.virtualjeepclub.com/
lil_joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2009, 07:46 AM   #3
aaron7
1998 ZJ 

I've driven most of AZ over the past couple years, but don't remember Suprise. I was looking at houses there on Craigslis and yes, they are very cheap, but I was told that area is a retirement area and full of old people... and I like to be loud haha

As for buying a home... a rent to own home would be the best bet at the moment unless I could find a 2br/3br with a garage for under $150k. Here in MA you can't even buy a condo for under $250k!
Unread 01-04-2009, 02:11 PM   #4
infernosrt
1991 YJ Wrangler 

i live in surprise and the crime is low and the city has everything you could need and the white tanks are close with some decent trails for wheling
infernosrt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2009, 07:40 PM   #5
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Both of my daughters moved with their families to an area maybe 20-30 minutes outside Phoenix called Queen Creek. I've been there once and it seemed to be a nice area with lots of new construction. They both REALLY like the area.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2009, 10:48 AM   #6
Gunga
1978 CJ7 

There are several things to consider here. I live in north Glendale because I spend a lot of time in northern AZ, Sedona, Flagstaff, etc. and like to get out of town quickly. On a friday night, traffic gets very backed up going north (there's only one highway). I'm also only about 30 minutes from some good fourwheeling areas.
It also depends on where you're going to work. You can have a 1 & 1/2 hour commute if you have to travel across town. I use to drive an hour each way and it made me cranky every night.
Surprise is nice but it's a long way from downtown Phoenix.
Unread 01-06-2009, 07:02 AM   #7
aaron7
1998 ZJ 

Queen Creek does look very nice and I was researching that area.

I'll most likely be working in Phoenix as I do IT work.

I can't wait to get some foreign mud on my Jeep! haha
Unread 01-06-2009, 03:05 PM   #8
Jeep'nSon

We have a place in Casa Grande, about 45-50 miles east of Phoenix on the I-10. Very nice area with lots of new developements for housing. Pretty much a bedroom community, lots of folks work in Phoenix. Commute is probably about 1 hour to 1.5 hours depending on where in Phoenix you work.

As far as housing, you will have no problem with your choice of homes in the range of $150k for 3br/4br, the housing market has taken a huge hit out there right now.

Jason
Unread 01-07-2009, 09:22 PM   #9
Brown Dog
Vendor

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Both of my daughters moved with their families to an area maybe 20-30 minutes outside Phoenix called Queen Creek. I've been there once and it seemed to be a nice area with lots of new construction. They both REALLY like the area.
I live close to Queen Creek....great place.

The Jeep Forum Discount is ON!!

Motor Mounts, Motor Mount Lifts (MML), and Engine Brackets for Jeep
100% HANDCRAFTED IN AMERICA

91YJ 2.5
Brown Dog Mounts and Engine Brackets (Serial Number 1)
2" BL
4.5" Superlift SL
AA SYE
35" GoodYear Mud Terrains
Conteract Balancing Beads
Bulldog front bumper
Best Top seats
"Family" roll bar
25 foot 1/2" log chain
No Top, No Doors (Best Top Safari)
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2009, 08:36 PM   #10
ShtrMcGavin

Chandler is a good choice... Its very nice and safe... Queen Creek is nice to but far away from everything also with the way the housing market has collapsed there are entire subdivisions in Queen Creek that are empty because the builders went out of business so you need to be careful where exactly you buy so you arent in a neighborhood where you are the only one living there and the others are vacant... I live in Tempe on the Tempe/Scottsdale border.. There are some good deals but most everything is pretty old the upside is there is a lot to do within a short distance and they just put in a light rail that goes all the way into downtown Phoenix
ShtrMcGavin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2009, 06:37 PM   #11
redneckengineer
1997 XJ Cherokee 

There is a noticeable difference between the east valley (Chandler, Tempe) and west valley (Surprise, Glendale). I live on the east side and don't care much for the west in fact I wont go over there without at least one gun I just don't like the area and most of the crime seems to happen on the west side. Because the houses are so cheap there are a lot more lower income family's and a lot of first generation middle class leading to more problems. There are pockets in chandler that I would not want to live but those are pockets not whole towns.
redneckengineer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2009, 09:02 AM   #12
Gunga
1978 CJ7 

You need to see for yourself before you buy something. redneckengineer's statements are simply not true with regards to north Glendale & Surprise. Glendale has more millionaires per capita than Scottsdale. So don't let one person's opinions ruin your search.
Unread 01-22-2009, 02:36 PM   #13
ThrillSeeker
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunga View Post
You need to see for yourself before you buy something. redneckengineer's statements are simply not true with regards to north Glendale & Surprise. Glendale has more millionaires per capita than Scottsdale. So don't let one person's opinions ruin your search.

Have to agree with Gunga on the 'see for yourself before you buy'... Alot depends on how much you can afford... now, more than ever it is a buyers market (IF you can get financing)... lots of foreclosure, etc every where.

I live in Carefree and it is one of the nicest places period... It is close to Seven Springs and Bartlett Lake... Seven Springs/Cave Creek Rd(FR 24) will take you all the way up to Bloody Basin Road and from there you don't even touch pavement and can go to Bumble Bee and Crown King.....

I would suggest a visit so you can check out all the areas and see what fits your needs... Just don't tell any one else... there are enough 'SNOW BIRDS' here as it is....

Unread 01-25-2009, 05:02 PM   #14
iorg16
2008 JK Wrangler 

forget Phoenix area, come to Tucson!!!!
iorg16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2009, 09:57 PM   #15
aaron7
1998 ZJ 

Chandler and Queen Creek are on the top of the list.

Tucson is awesome, I loved the area, but there are more jobs in my field up in the Valley.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.