Just moved to AZ wanna take the jeep out - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Arizona Jeep Forum > Just moved to AZ wanna take the jeep out

Artec 14b bolt BACKBONE trussNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Engo is bringing New LED Light Bars to the table...Get a g

Unread 08-08-2008, 06:03 PM   #1
jeep4banger97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Just moved to AZ wanna take the jeep out

Hey guys i just move to Gilbert Arizona on weds and i bought a 1997 Wrangler TJ earlier in the summer as my daily and weekend toy! I was looking to get some wheeling in before school starts (ASU) so lemme know if anyone wants to go to Bulldog ( guy at the bank told me it was good wheeling for jeeps) or anywhere else.

Also do you need a state rec permit to use bulldog or anything?

Thanks guys

John

jeep4banger97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2008, 10:27 PM   #2
funinmud
1998 XJ Cherokee 

drive down to tucson and ill take you wheelin. i know of a couple good places

98 XJ on 32's and 2-3" lift, locked, armored, and ready to rock.
funinmud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2008, 02:59 PM   #3
Raztt
1997 TJ Wrangler 

table mesa and bumble bee are prettty good places also, just north of phoenix on the 17
Raztt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2008, 09:12 AM   #4
Gunga
1978 CJ7 

Being out in Gilbert you may want to go east on hwy 60 toward Florence.
1) You can go to the coke ovens, Box Canyon, etc. Take 60 east past Florence Junction (hwy 60 and 79) about 3 miles until you see a flag pole on the right. Turn right (south) and follow it back. This area is a military training area and sometimes there's a sign saying it's closed due to training. (We usually don't pay attention to the sign)

2) Go past Florence Junction and take the left turn right before the railroad tracks toward Queen Valley. (I mean 50 feet or less before the tracks) Keep to the right on Hewitt Station Rd and it turns into Forest road 172. 172 will loop up and over in the Superstition mountains and come out East of Superior. Nice trip. Get yourself an "Arizona Gazetteer". It has all, or most of the trails on it. Also, check Google maps to show you the main turnoffs from Hwy 60.

Good wheeling.
Unread 08-21-2008, 10:16 AM   #5
bigj1974
1999 TJ Wrangler 

are you AZ guys familiar with this book?

http://www.amazon.com/Backcountry-Ad.../dp/0966567501
bigj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2008, 12:08 PM   #6
Gunga
1978 CJ7 

It is a good guide and covers the whole state. It's also good to get the National Forest maps. You can buy them at alot of different places but for the best price, you can go to the main office for the Tonto National forest (just a few doors west of 24th street and McDowell on the north side).
Unread 08-21-2008, 01:26 PM   #7
bigj1974
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I have one for Southern California and followed one of the trails and I was blown away by how precise it was, and wondered if the authors performed the same in Arizona.

BTW -- what a cool way to make a living, wheeling the southwest and writing about it.
bigj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.