2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 01-28-2017, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Fordyce Creek 2017

Do to changes with the trip leader on this run it has been canceled.

I have registered with with Cal4wheelers( 50th Annual Sierra Trek). I will be running with them this year. It is a pay to run and cost 175$ per person for the 3 day event. it does in include some meals and they keep the three river crossing low so there will be no issues crossing. I figure better than nothing at all. After this run i am still planning to to run the Rubicon from Tahoe to went worth.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-30-2017, 12:24 PM
Pinoy59
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
I am looking to run the Rubicon but not until next year. I need to get the Jeep ready! Good luck and have fun!
post #3 of 16 Old 01-30-2017, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Rubicon is a fun trail. Its not all that hard and most the hardest spots can be Bypassed if its to much. people get through open,open on 32/33s(not recommended though). Or you can make it harder, the real rough areas were removed long ago. To bad too, they were as well by passable, well gate keeper was not and they blasted it with TNT. Just be sure everything is in working order.

Take it easy.
Pinoy59 likes this.

post #4 of 16 Old 02-23-2017, 08:58 PM
ericksin
1982 CJ7 

Might not work out for me this year... got a lot going on, But im going to put it on the calendar...

**** it, GAS IT!
post #5 of 16 Old 02-24-2017, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericksin View Post
Might not work out for me this year... got a lot going on, But im going to put it on the calendar...
This trail wont be kind to jeeps just a heads up. winch is a MUST have. its hard to say how deep the water may be even at anyone hour. Dream flow helps but. PGE controls the flow rate at the top but there are side waters that add to it. The trek jamboree keeps the flow very low for them. But all other times it can vary a LOT. plan on deep water. like 4'+ most times. all your gear should be in bags. It will be an adventure MUCH harder than the Rubicon by far.

post #6 of 16 Old 02-24-2017, 10:01 PM
ericksin
1982 CJ7 

Cj

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
This trail wont be kind to jeeps just a heads up. winch is a MUST have. its hard to say how deep the water may be even at anyone hour. Dream flow helps but. PGE controls the flow rate at the top but there are side waters that add to it. The trek jamboree keeps the flow very low for them. But all other times it can vary a LOT. plan on deep water. like 4'+ most times. all your gear should be in bags. It will be an adventure MUCH harder than the Rubicon by far.

If we do it, it will be in my CJ.... need to figure out the brakes I still would like to go... we will see...

**** it, GAS IT!
post #7 of 16 Old 02-25-2017, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
My old 66 was horrible with 4 drums.Might have worked better to remove the floor and use my feet.. Thought someone was going by your place to look at it? must be something simple, somewhat simple. good thing its not ABS they get expensive when they go wack. Yea the wifes Jk would never look the same after that trail. Thinks its W3 hill that can get some damage to get up and around. Then there's Committee crossing. worries me more than the rocks. since we just wont know until we get there how deep it is. lets hope PG&E gives us some love that day. The snow up there is REAL deep this year too.

post #8 of 16 Old 04-14-2017, 06:10 PM
plumber1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
I noticed this post while looking for trails in AZ. Being from CA I have done the Rubicon several times and yes it is a very fun trail and does have a few difficult spots. I did the Fordyce last year during Sierra Trek and wow for both trails being rated a "10" the dyce is MUCH TOUGHER than the rubi. And yes our snow levels are at the highest in years and they are concerned about flooding this spring and summer when all of the snow beings to melt. When doing Sierra Trek they work with PG&E to control the water flow other than that weekend I don't think they do. See below I am running 35" BFG's and they had about 3" or so out of the water. Just to give you some comparisons with your own jeep, and a couple of others. Also after doing this trail I changed the name of my Rubicon to Fordyce because this in the know, know its tougher

Now the reason I was here was to find out if its worth towing my jeep to AZ next Thanksgiving, I will be in the Scottsdale area and will only have a day or two while there to do some off roading. Just wondering if there are any trails in that area.

Thanks

I can quit drinking anytime I want, but hey I'm no quitter :)

White Jeep Club #224
post #9 of 16 Old 04-14-2017, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Ran the Rubicon many times(starting in 1975). main reason we will run Fordyce it 3rd week in Aug. Hoping the snow melts...I used to live in Tahoe. as well timing everyone's vacation time etc.There is a app that gives live data for the release flows from PG&E. though that only leaves people to pray they dont open the gate. I run 37s on 4.6 lift. snorkel just in case it gets deeper. If its over 275FTPS we may have to run the con as the B plan. Crazy amount of snow this year. Can only pray to PGE gowds they have mercy on us. most times 35s disappear at committee. can get scary deep.

Lots of great rails in AZ. If you plane to run down south PHX area the AZVJC and on line community club. would be worth signing up for and post your tended dates/intensions. In Nov(2nd week) like for the last 30 years. date not set yet. In Parker we have the Desert Splash. More like what you had in Fordyce were you have spotters/trail leaders. Though the trails are short. 1/2 day trails. Event runs about 4 days. Trails here are 1-5. 5s tend to be harder than 10s. the need for 40s and damage is all but assured. 4s 4.25 .5 or 4+ tend to be more like from Rubicon to more like Fordyce. They dont stack though, trec does to get the masses through. The cost is by the jeep load, not person and its like $150? a None profit organization too. Last year we had about 325 jeeps. Az has a lot of trails Down in PHX. then Parker through Havasu to Bullhead city and up to Kingman is a maze of trails. Great place in the winter. Not much in Flag a few trails but most for looking, not crawling.

Hope this helps you in AZ. there is as well a few books on the state by C. wells. he does cali and most states as well. Check out Parkers FB or You tubes of parkers trails to look at. We just had the annual Hard core poker run this March. Smaller group of people but they only run the hardest trails and its a timed event. with stops on the way that have food on the trails/get your cards. Fun and the money to run it, half to the winner half to charity.Splash event as well much of it goes to charity as well.

post #10 of 16 Old 04-14-2017, 08:04 PM
Pinoy59
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
There are tons of great trails within an hour or two of Scottsdale. Thanksgiving is a good time to go. I am part of the AZVJC and there are a lot of great people in the club. Plenty of people to lead on the trails.

Sent from my XT1094 using Tapatalk
222Doc likes this.

NP242/skidplates/RC4.5"LA kit/2steeringstabilizer/33x12.5mudclaws/15x10rim/sliders&flares/trussed8.8
post #11 of 16 Old 06-15-2017, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
less than two months to go..........

post #12 of 16 Old 06-15-2017, 07:31 PM
ericksin
1982 CJ7 

**** it, GAS IT!
post #13 of 16 Old 06-15-2017, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericksin View Post
Hey erick Been looking at the map looks i will be going through Nevada to reno then over the Sierras on I80. thinking making that a two day ride. then a day just at camp before we hit Fordyce. Could do the drive in a day but its 12hrs. That way i dont have to go through central California. Traffic is the suck out there, fuel will be a lot higher. So looks like i will hit the road on the 11th.

You still in? Im still planning to Run Rubicon back way after as well. To far to go for just a two day run. that is assuming the jeep dont break...

post #14 of 16 Old 06-23-2017, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
THis run has been moved to now be part of the 50th Annual Sierra Trek Jamboree. So if anyone still wants to run Fordyce creek you will need to register with them the cost is 175$ per person.

have a fun summer...........

After Fordyce i am still going to run some trails in the area.

post #15 of 16 Old 08-20-2017, 09:36 AM
ericksin
1982 CJ7 

Wow I just seen your post :-( not going to make it.... sorry... send pics! thinking of doing Rubicon June 25-2018... What do you think of those dates

**** it, GAS IT!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.