engine help needed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Arizona Jeep Forum > engine help needed

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 10-10-2012, 08:08 PM   #1
adhdlacrosse16
2014 JK Wrangler 

engine help needed

Any one on here in the north/ central az area with the know how on how to install a cam in a 4.0? ive never torn into an engine before and would really like an expert pair of hands. I can come to you or you can come to me. ive got tools and jack stands. Beer is on me

Unread 10-11-2012, 09:49 AM   #2
SSRx7
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I'm not up there, but from what I understand you have to pull the head to get the lifters out, pull your radiator and condensor(if you have one), to slide the cam out, loosen oilpan to pull timing cover. I would say that if you are gonna go through all that, just pull the engine out, put it on a stand clean it thoroughly before disassembly and then do it. You might as well buy a complete gasket kit as well since you gotta pull the head and oilpan. Replace your front and rear seals, and check your rod and main bearings.

Of course you could do it in the jeep, but way harder. If it's gonna be down, migh as well do it right.
SSRx7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2012, 05:52 PM   #3
adhdlacrosse16
2014 JK Wrangler 

dont have a cherry picker or an engine stand. i agree that it needs to be pulled to do it right but without the tools or know how to do so i am hoping that some of the nice fellows on here wouldnt mind lending a hand. I followed a thread about a guy who would have had to sell his jeep but a bunch of guys got together to help him store it while he was deployed my situation is not nearly as dire but i was hoping for something along those lines. I know its a long shot but im a college kid with my second jeep ( last one threw a rod... long sad story) and am just hoping for a helping hand.
Unread 10-12-2012, 08:10 AM   #4
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Rent one. Cheaper than buying, easier with than without, and it disappears after you don't need it anymore.

Not that expensive and worth it.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2012, 06:10 PM   #5
adhdlacrosse16
2014 JK Wrangler 

Even if I rent equipment I still don't have the know how
Unread 10-13-2012, 08:37 PM   #6
SSRx7
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I hear you. I hope someone close by can help you. I would but I'm on the other end of the state.
SSRx7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.