Emissions testing for V8 YJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Arizona Jeep Forum > Emissions testing for V8 YJ

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 01-05-2013, 06:35 AM   #1
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Emissions testing for V8 YJ

In case you're wondering, I live in both California and Arizona. So I keep my **** registered in AZ.

However with the 5.2 V8 I'm installing, I'm wondering if I'll pass emissions for a Jeep that's still registered as a 4 cylinder. Anybody have any experience smogging V8 Jeeps in the Phoenix (Buckeye) area? Rumor has it that emissions testing for AZ is becoming on par with CA smog.

Also, I can't seem to get a straight answer from the DMV about re-registering it as a V8 so I can pass emissions. Do they test for a V8? Or do they still test for a 4 banger? I would assume a V8. Or is it just a set number for the class of vehicle it is? I don't know how all that **** works, I've never had a vehicle long enough to have to take it in to get smogged until my Jeep came along.

Any help would be absolutely lovely.

Still not enough power.
SunDevilJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2013, 11:13 AM   #2
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

I thought the rule was the motor must be from the year or newer. Must have all the smog that the newer year motor had at the time,. If you have to go through CARB, forget it, might as well get a trailer. But i heard in the big cities even in Az its getting rough.

Where i live in AZ no smog check, no inspections. You could put a blow Hemi running Nitro.
Unread 01-05-2013, 11:37 AM   #3
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

It's FEDERAL law that will trip you up. The upgrade has to be as posted above.
Unread 01-05-2013, 04:09 PM   #4
ericksin
1982 CJ7 

Have any friends or family in Prescott? if so, and if they don't mine register it there. I did this for my Fatherinlaws jeep and my dads jeep they both live in California. my 1982 CJ7 came with a 6 cylinder with all the smog stuff on it. i put a 360 in with no smog and got it registered just fine.
Unread 01-05-2013, 04:11 PM   #5
ericksin
1982 CJ7 

Phelan, CA!!!!! i grew up in Hesperia Ca
Unread 01-06-2013, 09:16 AM   #6
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I knew about the same year or newer deal. Which is why I was really picky about getting an OBDII engine. My main concern is passing the sniffer. I guarantee my Jeep won't pass in CA, even with the 4 banger, which is part of the reason I'm keeping it registered in AZ. Plus CA already takes a ****load of my money as it is, they don't need anymore of it. All that tax money will just go to somebody's welfare check anyway.

I wish I had friends or family that lived outside of the Phoenix metro area. The other house is in Buckeye, just within the emissions jurisdiction or whatever it is. Which sucks bull dick.

Most people from the high desert hate it, I ****in love it in Phelan. It's got that hometown kinda feel, plus it's the desert. Nobody gives a **** about anything, not even the cops.

Still not enough power.
Unread 01-06-2013, 11:44 AM   #7
ericksin
1982 CJ7 

Yep... Hesperia Had a home town feel long ago...... When Hesperia, Victorville and Apple Valley started showing up on the TV show Cops, it was time to go. Still have some Family there. Good luck on your jeep
Unread 01-06-2013, 08:04 PM   #8
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericksin View Post
Yep... Hesperia Had a home town feel long ago...... When Hesperia, Victorville and Apple Valley started showing up on the TV show Cops, it was time to go. Still have some Family there. Good luck on your jeep
There's no arguing that one for sure! I came from La Mirada and central Phoenix before Phelan. La Mirada shares a border with Whittier and Cerritos... you wanna talk about trash? Whiteyville, two steps west... meth.

LA County is an interesting place.

Still not enough power.
Unread 01-09-2013, 12:11 PM   #9
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

my last years long ago in cal i had to store my old camaro. could not get it to pass, no way. parked it. after moving to AZ passed here, there is no testing. heck about every gas station in town has a100-108octain pump. but that stuff has went up alot and will not be good for stock motors. no matter what people think.
Unread 01-10-2013, 11:59 AM   #10
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I was just in Lake Havasu this morning to fill up the truck! $695 at the Pilot right before the state line. Got into a chat with the guy cleaning up the fuel line, apparently he's from Hesperia! Ain't that some ****?

If you live outside of the Phoenix and Tucson areas, there's no emissions testing. Which sucks because Buckeye is in that area.

I really need to find a house outside of the Phoenix area to register my **** at.

Still not enough power.
Unread 01-10-2013, 12:59 PM   #11
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

i have not filled that camaro up in years. today it would cost 308$ for 100oct

I have seen boats take on alot of high test, you filling a boat?

a guy once here filling his boat at the same time I was filling this old camaro, as my pump showed 40 gallons and still going. I could see the look on his face. It still fills from the rear just like stock, behind the plate. So when i went to get my change. I sould see him looking under the rear to see where it went . wife calls it the rolling napalm...built it for cross country decades ago.
Unread 01-10-2013, 01:32 PM   #12
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
i have not filled that camaro up in years. today it would cost 308$ for 100oct

I have seen boats take on alot of high test, you filling a boat?

a guy once here filling his boat at the same time I was filling this old camaro, as my pump showed 40 gallons and still going. I could see the look on his face. It still fills from the rear just like stock, behind the plate. So when i went to get my change. I sould see him looking under the rear to see where it went . wife calls it the rolling napalm...built it for cross country decades ago.
rolling napalm!

This is what I was filling up this morning!

Still not enough power.
Unread 01-10-2013, 08:39 PM   #13
ericksin
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevilJeeper View Post
I was just in Lake Havasu this morning to fill up the truck! $695 at the Pilot right before the state line. Got into a chat with the guy cleaning up the fuel line, apparently he's from Hesperia! Ain't that some ****?

If you live outside of the Phoenix and Tucson areas, there's no emissions testing. Which sucks because Buckeye is in that area.

I really need to find a house outside of the Phoenix area to register my **** at.
That's funny....
Unread 01-12-2013, 09:59 AM   #14
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

You can get 100 octane in Lake Hav at the pump? Here in town 91 is the best you can find.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 08:15 PM   #15
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Yep even higher at some stations. Some are leaded others not. I used to use the Sunoco station by the lake for a turbo pontiac, they have sunoco 100 unleaded. I have seen 108 pump, it has some lead though so no cats.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.