DO I need a snorkle? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Arizona Jeep Forum > DO I need a snorkle?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 06-26-2012, 04:17 AM   #1
Orange1
2012 JK Wrangler 

Jk DO I need a snorkle?

Moving to Phoenix in a few months and wondering if I should add a snorkle. I have beefed up every thing in anticipation of SW trails.

Orange1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2012, 09:32 AM   #2
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Welcome to AZ. Well one thing we do not have is much rain/ water. Most trails are rocky/sandy- desert/ mountiam trails. You would have to real try to swamp a jeep here. as long as you do not drive into a lake you should be good. Since you are locating in Phoenix. You might want to look into the The Arizona Virtual Jeep Club (AZVJC), free Net based 4w'ers. might want to read the trail discriptions. Here its about how big the rocks are not depth of water. So be thinking if you plan to wheel say up to 3.0-3.5 rated trails. I say that because once you get past 3.5 things get rather hard on your Jeep very fast. Damage to body and or underbody is hard to avoid at 4-4+. Do do not do much to your Jeep till after you run some real trails and see where your Jeep takes you. Do not wheel out here alone in the desert heat. Summer temps can leave you dead real fast out there.
Unread 06-26-2012, 10:35 PM   #3
olebluetj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

x2 what 222doc said, i belong to azvjc, great club, lots of info on our site, look us up when you get out here and will hook you up on some
nice trails, like he said it's not a good idea to wheel alone, not to say you can't, but the desert out here is a whole lot different the florida
Unread 06-28-2012, 03:53 AM   #4
Orange1
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
Welcome to AZ. Well one thing we do not have is much rain/ water. Most trails are rocky/sandy- desert/ mountiam trails. You would have to real try to swamp a jeep here. as long as you do not drive into a lake you should be good. Since you are locating in Phoenix. You might want to look into the The Arizona Virtual Jeep Club (AZVJC), free Net based 4w'ers. might want to read the trail discriptions. Here its about how big the rocks are not depth of water. So be thinking if you plan to wheel say up to 3.0-3.5 rated trails. I say that because once you get past 3.5 things get rather hard on your Jeep very fast. Damage to body and or underbody is hard to avoid at 4-4+. Do do not do much to your Jeep till after you run some real trails and see where your Jeep takes you. Do not wheel out here alone in the desert heat. Summer temps can leave you dead real fast out there.
Thanks for all the information. We will be in Arizona in ~ 4-8 Months. If very funny, my self-imposed trail rating IS & has been 3.0-3.5.
Unread 06-28-2012, 03:56 AM   #5
Orange1
2012 JK Wrangler 

BTW: I am also adding an aux fan-forced trans cooler. Should I also add an aux engine oil cooler?
Unread 06-28-2012, 09:44 AM   #6
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange1 View Post
BTW: I am also adding an aux fan-forced trans cooler. Should I also add an aux engine oil cooler?
you can add those things though i have heard its warranty voider too.?

The new trans has a seperate cooler now. Even here in this heat off road i have had no issues over heating the trans or motor even running the air on hard trails 3.5-4.25. @ 110+ degrees. The new Jk is not my old 66cj for sure.

looking at your set up in your profile you look very well set up for our trails to 3.5
You will find in AZ there are alot of Jeep clubs too. many events every year. Maybe we will see you at the desert splash, or the Hard core poker run(though this is one event that beat my jeep up alot trails start at 3.5) I had a good time though).
Unread 06-28-2012, 04:47 PM   #7
Orange1
2012 JK Wrangler 

Thx Doc
Unread 07-06-2012, 05:10 AM   #8
Billy
Unlimited Ammo

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Very rarely will you NEED a snorkel here. I know that the Dugas road run takes you across the Verde river and although it's not neccissarily needed for that crossing, you can't ever be positive of that rivers depth. It's always changing. Christopher creek, oak creek (down range from Sedona), some of the local rivers an tributarys during the monsoon floods will require a snorkel...of course if your planning on crossing a flood you're an idiot; snorkel or not.

Around here a snorkel is nothing more than an extra piece of mind. You almost never run into water, but when you do, you'll wish you had a snorkel. Lol

Twitter @dutchoven86
Billy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2012, 02:16 AM   #9
polo196
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The only time i may need a snorkel is when my neighbor breaks a sprinkler head. Then im pissed off cause the spray off the tires mixes with the layer of dust and makes my jeep look dirty.
Yellow Jeep Club Member [FONT="Century Gothic"]#196[/FONT]
polo196 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2012, 03:34 PM   #10
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy View Post
Very rarely will you NEED a snorkel here. I know that the Dugas road run takes you across the Verde river and although it's not neccissarily needed for that crossing, you can't ever be positive of that rivers depth. It's always changing. Christopher creek, oak creek (down range from Sedona), some of the local rivers an tributarys during the monsoon floods will require a snorkel...of course if your planning on crossing a flood you're an idiot; snorkel or not.

Around here a snorkel is nothing more than an extra piece of mind. You almost never run into water, but when you do, you'll wish you had a snorkel. Lol
On the Verde up here, it's unlikely you'll need a snorkel, and if you do the current will be so swift you're going to need much more than a snorkel; a life jacket will be more useful. That's prettymuch the sory for all the rivers up here.

This is not me, but shows what's more typical:

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.