Death Wobble - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Arizona Jeep Forum > Death Wobble

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBlack Friday SALE! Up to 20% off at Diode Dynamics!Metalcloak's Black Friday & Small Business Saturday Sa

Unread 11-16-2012, 11:30 AM   #1
ATHC

Death Wobble

Hi, I've got a 2009 Unlimited Rubicon with a Teraflex lift and 35 inch tires. I've been getting the Death Wobble pretty badly over the past couple of weeks. Alignment, tire balance are all good. A look at the steering components did not show any obvious worn bushings/excess movement. I'm at a loss now. Anyone can recommend a reliable JEEP mechanic in Tucson?

ATHC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2012, 07:21 PM   #2
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHC View Post
Hi, I've got a 2009 Unlimited Rubicon with a Teraflex lift and 35 inch tires. I've been getting the Death Wobble pretty badly over the past couple of weeks. Alignment, tire balance are all good. A look at the steering components did not show any obvious worn bushings/excess movement. I'm at a loss now. Anyone can recommend a reliable JEEP mechanic in Tucson?
not my area but: after the tera flex lift how did you adjust cambor? as you go up you get less cambor. This where having adjustible arms comes to play. Death is violant wheel shake, not just a pulse at the wheel.

You have to check that track bar by removing it. it may look and feel tight. but after you pull the bolts it may have wollowed out the hole, common.

Ties rod ends, ball joints many things can lead to DW. That is why it can be hard to fix, people tend to just toss parts at until its gone.

If everything is in spec I would have that cambor checked when it gets close to zero things get funny fast.
Unread 11-26-2012, 08:06 PM   #3
fueljunkie
2011 JK Wrangler 

planman seems to have the most knowledge about this subject. Google death wobble. You will find what you need... And more.
fueljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2012, 09:19 PM   #4
fueljunkie
2011 JK Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/d...bbles-1052221/
Unread 11-27-2012, 08:19 PM   #5
ericksin
1982 CJ7 

HOLY S##T!!!!! that death wobble video scared me just watching that...... I don't know much about newer jeeps but my dad had a lesser death wobble on his CJ5, everything in front was brand new and had 3 different alinement places look at it, on the 3rd alinement he showed us the inner spindle nuts where loos. after slapping my self in the head it made sense to me, Took it home tighten the spindle nuts and the wobble went away. But that was on a CJ sooooooooooooo
Unread 11-27-2012, 08:34 PM   #6
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Has anyone died from this, death wobble? I have been in a Jeep about all my life. started this sickness back in 1975. NO one ever called it death back then. Now fish tailing a trailer in a Jeep is a killer ride. My first Jeep was soooo bad that it wobbled to and from town day after day. Until an old guy(back then) said, you need to replace the trunnion bearings. yep that fixed it. its always something loose or worn out. or in that video a bad lift or lack of cambor.

looking at the lift in that video I will bet a beer its the lift.
Unread 11-27-2012, 11:06 PM   #7
fueljunkie
2011 JK Wrangler 

Makes me want a Volkswagon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.