Crown King Obstacles.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Arizona Jeep Forum > Crown King Obstacles..

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 04-02-2012, 06:26 PM   #1
cs1031
2011 JK Wrangler 

Jk Crown King Obstacles..

Has anyone made it through all the obstacles on the Crown King trail with 33's? I ran it this past weekend with my 2.5" teraflex kit and 33's and could quite make it up one of the steeper rock obstacles and had to back out. This could be because I am relatively new to running these trails and maybe I am just inexperienced. I would hate to have to go to 35's at this point but will if I have to. What do you guys think?

cs1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2012, 06:49 PM   #2
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

I would think so, i have yet to do that trail. Its rated 2.5 so you should be able to make it. Did you air down? What happened that made you turn around? was it wheel spin in a flex?(try use brakes to help limit wheel spin. or just could not grip the rock enough to get traction?(air down more).

Did you have a spotter that could help improve your line too.

Going 35"s will need a regearing too on your year jeep. well most recommend it any way and a auto more over.
Unread 04-02-2012, 07:04 PM   #3
cs1031
2011 JK Wrangler 

We did air down to 20 and really the overall trail didn't even test our Jeeps with our current config. The problem came in when I we took one of the optional obstacles that had some steep rocks and ruts. I had my spotter helping but I have to admit this was my first 4x4 run in a very long time so I am no expert nor was my spotter. It almost seemed like a clearance issue or I just chose the total wrong line. I also think that if I had lockers it probably would have gone better. So my thinking is this, if experienced guys have made it through these obstacles with 33's then I know I just have to upgrade my 4x4 IQ. Right now I am planning to put 4.88's with ARB lockers plus a axle sleeve and gusset Kit on my front D30 axle. I don't need to be the biggest and baddest out there but when I am out there I want to make sure I have what I need.
Unread 04-02-2012, 10:26 PM   #4
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

20 is not low enough. they do not even get soft till down to 15 or less but you have alloy and 17" on 33 could get some bead damage. Them rocks love to beat rims down. i run at 12 most the time on 3.5-4's and if gets harder than that 9psi. makes a nice soft ride too, but i have 15's on 35;s so i have alot of side wall.

Lockers are great and make a world of change. You get those and 35"s you will be ready for 3.5+ some 4's. Thats a big upgrade.

yea a bad/new spotter is worse than not having one. Depends on who you wheel with. I have spotted open difed sports up 3;s no issues, no damage, well except for a wee bit trail rash/pin striped from heavy brush, nothing you can do about that.
Unread 04-03-2012, 11:12 AM   #5
cs1031
2011 JK Wrangler 

Interesting, I will go a little lower on the air next time around. When I got to the top and aired up I regretted it since the road out of there is so terrible with wash boards. It made me think I don't want to air back up until I hit I-17. I think you are right about the lockers as well, I have been doing a lot of research and if I stick with my 33's it looks like 4.88's would be good for me and maybe some ARB lockers or OX lockers. I am starting to think with those mod's and a decent spotter I should be able to get up that obstacle next time..
Unread 04-03-2012, 02:40 PM   #6
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Going from open difs to lockers is like night and day. The only issue is it is very hard to make tight turns with the front locked. On slick rock the rears are barking all the time.

I air down the second its dirt and air up just before i hit paved road. Since gearing is something you do not want to have to do over agian. I would be thinking 35"s unless you will never go up. 35"s are about the smallest tire today off road. Makes things alot easier too on rocks and just smoothing out those ruts/wash board. Main reason i went with 15" on 35"s its like giant pillows aired down. pluss on 8" wide rims 35x12.5 are very hard to unbead even at 9 psi.
Unread 04-03-2012, 04:51 PM   #7
cs1031
2011 JK Wrangler 

I wasn't really aiming for more than 33's because the BFG KM2 305/70R17 sit at 33.9 total diameter (measured myself as well) and the 35x12.50R17 is at 34.8 total diameter so I was only gaining 1 inch really, plus that size tire means more mod's. That being said, I have decided to change my axles anyway and go with chromoly 30 spline with 4.88's and XO Electronic lockers, and a tube and knuckle reinforcement for my D30 and D44. After the axle mod's I could go with a 35 inch tire with no issues but I am already into my 33's and I am thinking I can just wear them out then pop 35's on later since it shouldn't be an issue after my mods.
Unread 04-03-2012, 04:56 PM   #8
cs1031
2011 JK Wrangler 

OX lockers, sorry, typo
Unread 04-04-2012, 02:30 PM   #9
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

sounds like you are getting ready for some harder runs those are good mods. next time you go up there you will cruise it.
Unread 04-07-2012, 06:01 PM   #10
Ajkaz
2007 JK Wrangler 

Let me know when your ready to go again, I live about 5 miles from pleasant and go to CK monthly, I'm going up again on the 21st for the chili cook off!
Ajkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2012, 04:23 PM   #11
dani84

I ran back way to ck with 33's on a two inch lifted 04 wrangler and made it just fine. Got a diff jeep now. 84 cj7 on 33's. Haven't tried ck with this jeep yet.
dani84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2012, 04:29 PM   #12
Ajkaz
2007 JK Wrangler 

I forgot to mention a buddy of mine runs his completely stock 06 Rubicon through there and may bypass one or two things. He does scrape quite a bit, but he always makes it. Lockers are the deal breaker.
Ajkaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.