Chiva falls questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Arizona Jeep Forum > Chiva falls questions

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 10-03-2013, 10:37 AM   #1
DunmerBoy
Desert Explorer

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Chiva falls questions

So I've heard/read a lot of conflicting stuff about the difficulty of the Chiva falls trail. Could a 3 inch lifted xj on 31s do it? How about a 2 inch lifted WK on ~32s? Is it really one of the hardest drives in southern arizona or is it just a slow and steady scenic trail? There seems to be so much disagreement. Thanks guys!

COTM October 2014
- Build Thread -
DunmerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2013, 11:55 AM   #2
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

hardly one of the hardest trails . Not even close. But having said that, it depends on so many things. There are many you tube videos of that trail and from that you might be able to determine. Trail looks like a 3- 3.5 maybe. Az 1-5 trails.. 4"s you need 35"s and lockers and it still wont be a cake walk.

no lockers and smaller tire will make it feel harder. It will be scenic and a challenge. Looks nice, but I would bet it gets busy there.
Unread 10-09-2013, 01:12 PM   #3
gsaxe
2007 JK Wrangler 

I have done it in my 2007 open open 4 door with 2.5" lift on 285/70/17 32.5s........the hardest imo (three feathers), if not scariest (oh *hit hill) stuff has options. I would not consider it a scenic drive like gunsight or reddington and best to go with someone who has been there. And yes it gets crowded on the lower parts. Three feathers is agreat place to watch a variety of rigs short way in. You will want to avoid "the crack" (east line) and "flipper" (western most line) if potential body damage aint your thing. If you can get to and through three feathers the rest should be ok. There is also the eastern rt in to the falls that avoids three feather altogether but has hill climbs that get interesting if it ever rains.

"Seems like alot and I can't say for a fact that it was all needed but that's what happens from reading forums." Jimk403
gsaxe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2013, 07:12 PM   #4
DunmerBoy
Desert Explorer

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsaxe
I have done it in my 2007 open open 4 door with 2.5" lift on 285/70/17 32.5s........the hardest imo (three feathers), if not scariest (oh *hit hill) stuff has options. I would not consider it a scenic drive like gunsight or reddington and best to go with someone who has been there. And yes it gets crowded on the lower parts. Three feathers is agreat place to watch a variety of rigs short way in. You will want to avoid "the crack" (east line) and "flipper" (western most line) if potential body damage aint your thing. If you can get to and through three feathers the rest should be ok. There is also the eastern rt in to the falls that avoids three feather altogether but has hill climbs that get interesting if it ever rains.
I've heard most if the hard parts have bypasses. I'd just like to see it since it's a bit of a right of passage around here it seems
COTM October 2014
- Build Thread -
Unread 10-10-2013, 05:13 PM   #5
gsaxe
2007 JK Wrangler 

well than when do you want to go? we can post it here and jko and I am sure we'll get a few more to join in.

"Seems like alot and I can't say for a fact that it was all needed but that's what happens from reading forums." Jimk403
Unread 10-11-2013, 12:14 PM   #6
DunmerBoy
Desert Explorer

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Probably a couple weeks once my school life is a little more stable
COTM October 2014
- Build Thread -
Unread 10-15-2013, 04:58 PM   #7
06LJDogg
2006 LJ Wrangler 

There are a couple challenging areas but I don't think you would have any major issues doing the trail to Chivo Falls with your rig. Much of the "harder" sections there are done by wheelers' choice, not by necessity to do the trail. There are usually quite a few people out there (at least on weekends) and will help you out if needed.
06LJDogg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 05:18 PM   #8
gsaxe
2007 JK Wrangler 

Went to chivo yesterday and watched a stock rubicon go up the crack (three feathers east line), pretty impressive driving. Sorry I didn't post, twas a last minute thang

and was reminded that o chit hill is above the falls and only part of the loop that goes above and around, not a requirement to get there.

Unread 11-06-2013, 01:22 PM   #9
06LJDogg
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunmerBoy View Post
Probably a couple weeks once my school life is a little more stable
Did you ever make it out there yet? I'm thinking of heading out there this Sunday or Monday...
2006 LJ: 4.0 w/auto trans, RE SF 3.5" w/RE monotubes and adj.track bars, 33x12.5 Baja MTZs on MT Classic IIIs, D30 w/Powertrax No-Slip, D44 w/Detroit Truetrac, and 4.56s. Like most everyone else, a list of wants and "to do's" as $$$ and time permits.
Unread 11-06-2013, 01:34 PM   #10
DunmerBoy
Desert Explorer

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06LJDogg
Did you ever make it out there yet? I'm thinking of heading out there this Sunday or Monday...
Nope that was actually what I was thinking too
COTM October 2014
- Build Thread -
Unread 11-06-2013, 08:36 PM   #11
06LJDogg
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Let me know if decide to go on Sunday, I'll run it with you....
2006 LJ: 4.0 w/auto trans, RE SF 3.5" w/RE monotubes and adj.track bars, 33x12.5 Baja MTZs on MT Classic IIIs, D30 w/Powertrax No-Slip, D44 w/Detroit Truetrac, and 4.56s. Like most everyone else, a list of wants and "to do's" as $$$ and time permits.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.