AZ taxes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Arizona Jeep Forum > AZ taxes

Halloween Savings to die for!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 03-19-2011, 12:40 AM   #1
jeeperjk
Web Wheeler
2009 JK Wrangler 

AZ and NV taxes

Ok, so I'm about 4-8 years from retiring from the USAF and I'm starting to think about where I want to retire. AZ and NV are on the short list, but I just found a site that disturbs me.

The below excerpt is copied/pasted from http://retirementliving.com/RLstate1.html

Can someone from AZ explain to me the personal property tax? What does it amount to? The "all types of property except real estate" scares me.

Quote:
Arizona also taxes personal property, which is defined as all types of property except real estate. Taxable personal property includes property used for commercial, industrial and agricultural purposes. Personal property is considered to be movable and not permanently attached to real estate. For details, click here.

Also, that vehicle tax seems steep. is it really that bad?

A personal property manual is available which contains information regarding the identification and valuation of locally assessed personal property, taxpayer reporting requirements, valuation tables, and descriptions of the methods of making value adjustments that are used in the assessment of many kinds of personal property. The manual describes a wide variety of personal property items, including information on the identification and valuation of mobile home and manufactured housing units. An explanation of the personal property appeal process (which differs in some respects from the real property appeal process) is also included. For details, click here.

In lieu of a personal property tax on automobiles, the state imposes an annual motor vehicle license tax. There is a $4.00 title fee; an $8.00 registration fee; plus an air quality research fee of $1.50; and a vehicle license tax (VLT) assessed in place of a personal property tax charged by other states. There may also be a weight fee and commercial registration fee, if the vehicle is registered as commercial. The VLT is based on an assessed value of 60% of the manufacturer's base retail price reduced by 16.25% for each year since the vehicle was first registered in Arizona (15% before 8/1/98). Then, as of the Dec. 1, 2000 reduction, the rate is calculated as $2.80 (new vehicles)/$2.98 (used vehicles) for each $100 of the assessed value. For example, for a new vehicle that costs $25,000, the first year assessed value would be $15,000 and the VLT would be $420.00. The second year the assessed value would be $12,562.50 and the VLT would be $363.06. For a mobile home the title fee is $7.00 per section or unit. Call 800-251-5866 for details. For information on property tax relief for seniors, click here.
Also, the info listed for NV at http://retirementliving.com/RLstate1.html is promising... i.e. No state income tax and Retirement Income: Not taxed, but what about that personal property crap again. How bad is it?

jeeperjk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2011, 12:54 AM   #2
Sandlapper3396

2009 JK Wrangler 

This isn't abnormal as lots of states have the same thing, California in fact . Your home state probably didn't have it and while in the military you are exempt from it regardless of where you are. Basically you pay taxes on all your vehicles every year to register it in that state. How much depends on the make, model, year, and estimated value of the vehicle. Depending on where you settle in AZ you can also be subject to emission testing which is of course more money.

Being military you have just been paying a flat tax for registering your vehicle in whatever state. That's not the case for civilians if their state has property taxes that include vehicles.
Sandlapper3396 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2011, 01:20 AM   #3
jeeperjk
Web Wheeler
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandlapper3396 View Post
This isn't abnormal as lots of states have the same thing, California in fact . Your home state probably didn't have it and while in the military you are exempt from it regardless of where you are. Basically you pay taxes on all your vehicles every year to register it in that state. How much depends on the make, model, year, and estimated value of the vehicle. Depending on where you settle in AZ you can also be subject to emission testing which is of course more money.

Being military you have just been paying a flat tax for registering your vehicle in whatever state. That's not the case for civilians if their state has property taxes that include vehicles.
I'm worried less about the vehicle thing than I am about the personal property taxes. Can you elaborate on that one for me?
Unread 03-21-2011, 01:59 PM   #4
-Zona-

If you don't plan on operating a business than don't worry about it. As active duty you are exempt from paying any state income tax if you claim tax residency here, and you pay greatly reduced income tax if you are a retired vet. As a resident of Arizona and active duty military, however, I still find myself paying the full registration fee on my motorcycle and the Jeep- only nonresidents can claim the military tax waiver while living here.
-Zona- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2011, 02:31 PM   #5
jeeperjk
Web Wheeler
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Zona- View Post
If you don't plan on operating a business than don't worry about it. As active duty you are exempt from paying any state income tax if you claim tax residency here, and you pay greatly reduced income tax if you are a retired vet. As a resident of Arizona and active duty military, however, I still find myself paying the full registration fee on my motorcycle and the Jeep- only nonresidents can claim the military tax waiver while living here.
So, the "personal property tax" is for businesses? Wouldn't that be called a "business property tax"? I'm confused.

FWIW, I'm talking about after retirement. I highly doubt I'll get stationed in AZ. Not many jobs in my career field out there.
Unread 03-21-2011, 02:49 PM   #6
-Zona-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperjk View Post
So, the "personal property tax" is for businesses? Wouldn't that be called a "business property tax"? I'm confused.

FWIW, I'm talking about after retirement. I highly doubt I'll get stationed in AZ. Not many jobs in my career field out there.
As I understand it if you use personal property for running a business you can be taxed accordingly. IE, using your Jeep as a delivery vehicle or running a business out of your home.
-Zona- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2011, 02:58 PM   #7
jeeperjk
Web Wheeler
2009 JK Wrangler 

Gotcha...
Unread 03-21-2011, 09:33 PM   #8
KOAKEN

When I moved here 4 years ago, the MVD assest my 05 5th wheel travel trailer for $10,000 more that I paid for it new. Go figure. I told the clerk it would be nice if I could sell it for that. No comment from her.
KOAKEN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.