Arizona trail patrol - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Arizona Jeep Forum > Arizona trail patrol

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 09-16-2011, 01:22 PM   #1
fueljunkie
2011 JK Wrangler 

Arizona trail patrol

Does anyone know if we have a program in Az? After the fellow jeeper dying recently north of Lake Pleasant it got me wondering.

fueljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2011, 03:50 PM   #2
ProZach

None that I have heard of, I know the pinal county sheriff likes to hit up some of the easy trails while he's working to make sure nothing is going on. Montana mountain trail is one that I remember because he came by when my cousin's jeep broke down on the trail.
ProZach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2011, 08:17 PM   #3
Sandlapper3396

2009 JK Wrangler 

What do you mean by trail program? Like park rangers you would see in a state or national park? Other than officers randomly patrolling the outskirts, AZ trails are just to vast of an unoccupied area to dedicate any significant patrolling presence.

Your best bet is to never wheel alone. Tell someone exaclty where you are going to be and don't deviate from that plan. Plan for the worse. Join a club, several clubs so you aren't tempted to wheel alone.

Sandlapper3396 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2011, 01:52 AM   #4
ProZach

If all else fails to with hold your temptation back to wheel alone then at least buy one of these
http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CGEQ8wIwAA
Unread 09-18-2011, 10:47 AM   #5
fueljunkie
2011 JK Wrangler 

I was thinking a volunteer program. I was reading about the one Colorado has and it sounded interesting.
Unread 09-18-2011, 11:43 AM   #6
Sandlapper3396

2009 JK Wrangler 

If you do go the route of using personal locators do a google search and learn the difference between SPOT and PLB. They are entirely different animals. Here's a few highlights of the differences and a more informed link.

http://desertexplorer.wordpress.com/...cator-beacons/

COST
SPOT is cheaper than the others initially. There is an annual fee to use the system, and with additional features the cost climbs. PLBs cost more upfront and the batteries are more expensive but no annual fees.

HOW IT WORKS
Upon activation, SPOT sends a signal to a satellite with your location. You can also send messages via SPOT that you can't do with most PLBs. That signal is then sent to Globalstar (private company) where they will send the message out accordingly. Either to authorities to come get you or to whoever you wanted to contact. Works very much like a contracted home security system.

Upon activation of a PLB, a signal is sent to the satellite with your location. In addition a homing beacon is being transmitted from your location to all the search and rescue teams in your area monitoring the frequency. These signals go directly to the authorities USAF, CAP, and other agencies. They are required by law to find the device.

FEATURES
SPOT hands down. Keep in mind the more features you include on it the more your annual fee. Some PLBs have features, but for the most part don't come with anything close to that. They are activated and you wait for help to arrive.

OH CRAP MOMENTS
As said earlier, PLBs go directly to the authorities. They are coming and there is no way to call them off. So you better well be in jepoardy or you can be susceptible to fines. PLBs also have stronger signals and can pinpoint your location much better than SPOT.

SPOT you can send messages to call off the search if you rescued yourself. You can call towing services etc, if your life isn't in danger and maybe you just broke down somewhere. Your location is not as defined, but you have the ability to send directions.
Unread 09-18-2011, 11:47 AM   #7
Sandlapper3396

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fueljunkie View Post
I was thinking a volunteer program. I was reading about the one Colorado has and it sounded interesting.
Oh, check your city's website under parks and recreation. May have to google your county, but I found ours under the city website. Pinal county has a volunteer program for improving and building trails, I would think other parts of AZ does as well.

AZVJC (Arizona Virtual Jeep Club) has a volunteer search and rescue group. If you don't want to go thru training to be state certified. I'm SARTech II qualified but not apart of any team at the moment.
Unread 09-18-2011, 03:03 PM   #8
ProZach

Definitely joining that when I get my jeep. I love programs like that.
Unread 09-18-2011, 04:47 PM   #9
fueljunkie
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandlapper3396 View Post
Oh, check your city's website under parks and recreation. May have to google your county, but I found ours under the city website. Pinal county has a volunteer program for improving and building trails, I would think other parts of AZ does as well.

AZVJC (Arizona Virtual Jeep Club) has a volunteer search and rescue group. If you don't want to go thru training to be state certified. I'm SARTech II qualified but not apart of any team at the moment.
Thats what I'm looking for. Thanks a bunch. We have the jeep posse up here but they have all the people they need.
Unread 09-18-2011, 11:45 PM   #10
Sandlapper3396

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fueljunkie View Post
Thats what I'm looking for. Thanks a bunch. We have the jeep posse up here but they have all the people they need.
The Search and Rescue class, and Wilderness first aid were the initial classes that I took shortly after I purchased my jeep. Didn't want to be the guy from your original post. There is a 32 page thread on the efforts made by AZVJC members to find him. All of their searches are documented there.

Groups like the jeep posse are hard to get into if you're really interested in doing that sort of thing. When you are on duty, you pretty much have all the authority as an officer. And the big perk, your jeep maintenance and modifications can be a tax write off under certain circumstances . So they are going to make dang sure you are a responsible individual first. There is a lot of training you have to go through and keep up to date. Get as many national and state certifications as you can. Interact with your local Civil Air Patrol, volunteer fire departments, and police.
Unread 09-19-2011, 12:12 AM   #11
fueljunkie
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandlapper3396 View Post
The Search and Rescue class, and Wilderness first aid were the initial classes that I took shortly after I purchased my jeep. Didn't want to be the guy from your original post. There is a 32 page thread on the efforts made by AZVJC members to find him. All of their searches are documented there.

Groups like the jeep posse are hard to get into if you're really interested in doing that sort of thing. When you are on duty, you pretty much have all the authority as an officer. And the big perk, your jeep maintenance and modifications can be a tax write off under certain circumstances . So they are going to make dang sure you are a responsible individual first. There is a lot of training you have to go through and keep up to date. Get as many national and state certifications as you can. Interact with your local Civil Air Patrol, volunteer fire departments, and police.
I've lived up here almost my whole life. We hunt and off road/ camp. I just feel real bad when someone dies that senselessly. I'm sure AZVJC did everything they could. More people involved means more eyes looking. I drive for a living so I'm not home all the time. Just want to do more. Thanks for your input.
Unread 09-22-2011, 02:07 PM   #12
gsaxe
2007 JK Wrangler 

az virtual jeep club has a group/forum where broke down jeepers can call in other jeepers to pull your rig off the trail, they are also tied into sheriffs search and rescue teams I believe

"Seems like alot and I can't say for a fact that it was all needed but that's what happens from reading forums." Jimk403
gsaxe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.