Arizona Inspection Laws? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Arizona Jeep Forum > Arizona Inspection Laws?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 10-11-2013, 06:20 PM   #1
HighRoller02TJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Arizona Inspection Laws?

I am moving to AZ in the spring and I was wondering what the inspection laws are for things such a how far tires can stick out on the sides, are fender flares required? any other laws that I should be aware of?

HighRoller02TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2013, 11:01 PM   #2
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have never heard of a inspection, other than boarder stuff. in the major cities there is smog inspection. heck in our town they run open wheels. cops never blink an eye.
Unread 10-13-2013, 07:19 PM   #3
dotcomdewd
2014 WK 

The only thing I'm aware of is possible emissions testing. Besides that, anything that is registered is legal on the roads.
dotcomdewd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2013, 12:55 PM   #4
HighRoller02TJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

here in NH there are many laws, tires cant stick out the sides, height restrictions, tint restrictions and more
HighRoller02TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2013, 03:37 PM   #5
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

There are laws here too. Bringing your vehicle into the state, it will be inspected at the Motor Vehicle Department the first time you register it. THEY will enforce the laws, compare VINs, etc.

After that, you really have to make someone angry to have them enforced against you. But, it CAN happen.

"Arizona Revised Statutes" is what we call the laws here.

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/Arizona...s.asp?Title=28

Start at chapter 3, Article 16.

This is a good reference:
http://www.liftlaws.com/arizona_lift_laws.htm
Unread 10-14-2013, 05:46 PM   #6
FailWheelDrive
2001 WJ 

As long as it passes emissions out here they will stay off your case.
FailWheelDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2013, 07:48 PM   #7
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

They have open wheeled tube framed no body at all. Lsx motors buggies run all over the place here. They had to get the plate? We just walk in to dmv they never came out ever. not even for my trailer? EzyPzy here no smog here to small. we have 100-108 pump gas with LEAD or not<<<< yeper pump gas racing fuel at most all stations here on the river/lake. Starts at about 6:35 a gallon for Sunoco 100 unleaded. to well over 8 for the good stuff. or the rot gut like my jeep uses 89.

You would really have to piss off a officer to have them pull any of those minor infractions. I have been pulled over many a time and they had good reason to light me up. But never have they brought up what I was driving unless they liked it. But how I was driving it at the time.

Now in most states, they can be very harsh, that is just one reason we left Cali decades ago.
Unread 10-14-2013, 10:32 PM   #8
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

You guys are missing the point. What WE can do as residents is NOT the same as BRINGING A VEHICLE INTO Arizona. Once you're in, you're golden. But first you have to get IN. When you bring a vehicle IN, MVD checks it for matching the papers with the vehicle and stuff.
Unread 10-15-2013, 02:01 PM   #9
gsaxe
2007 JK Wrangler 

when we brought our j10 INto az, they asked us if the wipers and ebrake worked, that's it of course that was few yars ago.......

emmisions was another deal altogether and a real pia for an older jeep

"Seems like alot and I can't say for a fact that it was all needed but that's what happens from reading forums." Jimk403
gsaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 07:04 PM   #10
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

They check in Prescott. I don't know if it was my lucky day or she just wanted to go outside, but she checked my truck, trailer and both ATVs. And I mean wiping mud/grease away on the quad for the VIN.

So there you go, hit or miss. Be ready.
Unread 10-19-2013, 12:52 PM   #11
2Five22
2013 JK Wrangler 

Registering an out of State vehicle in Arizona requires an inspection, depending on the type of vehicle it is. The inspection covers VIN numbers [the ones you can see and the hidden ones] to ensure that the vehicle or its components aren't stolen/reassembled/salvaged/etc.; a safety inspection for lighting, warning devices, seat belts/SRS; and emissions systems [especially in the metro Phoenix and Tucson areas]. Brakes, lighting, and safety devices must all be in place and operating.

Note that any police officer can conduct an inspection for all these items when they choose to, though it usually happens when someone is in an accident claiming system/s failure or does something very stupid like giving the cop a gesture, swearing at them, etc.

Arizona does not require fenders or flares. Lifts are fine as long as they are done safely, but if you lift a pickup truck over stock bumper height for that year of vehicle - it requires mud flaps and plenty of citations are issued for that. The maximum number of lights [headlights, fog lights, driving lights] on at one time is four total - marker lamps do not count, but they cannot be over 25 candlepower, so no KC Daylighters as turn signals/fender marker lamps. Color of lights is important - the only colors allowed are amber/white on the front of the vehicle [includes the sides as well] and amber/red to the rear of the vehicle. Back up/reverse lights can be amber/white, but can only be on while actively backing. Any variation from this is against State law and will get cited. License plate lights are required at night and must be white, but cannot directly shine any portion of the light back to other vehicles.

No sirens whatsoever, the horn can only be used as an audible warning device, wipers must be in good repair and work properly, State law does not allow tampering with emissions control devices anywhere in the State and yes, drivers can be and are cited for it. No exhaust cut outs allowed and mufflers are required. Flashing lights can only be used to indicate a turn or hazard to other vehicles on the roadway [no alternating flashing lights on anything but an emergency vehicle]. No television or video monitors visible from the drivers seat [jailbreaking your DVD player and using it while driving is a no-no]. License plates must be visible and clear covers are fine. If smoked plate covers, tail light covers, headlight covers are used, you can be cited for them.

These are some of the more common laws regarding vehicle equipment here and I was in the business for well over 20 years dealing with them. If you have questions, feel free to ask. Reading the laws is a bit arcane and they can be difficult to understand.

I am just the chauffeur.
2Five22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2013, 11:24 AM   #12
vmann7
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Weird, I just retitled and registered my YJ in the Prescott office, all she needed was the old title from NJ, in fact the YJ was still in NJ at the time, waiting to be shipped.
vmann7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2013, 12:43 PM   #13
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Well then either it was my lucky day, or she just wanted to get outside?

Were you moving back to the state or were you already a resident?
Unread 10-20-2013, 02:31 PM   #14
vmann7
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Gotta love government consistency!
vmann7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2013, 08:03 PM   #15
Stomper9
2002 WJ 

I've had an old M101 Canadian military trailer for years, just fixed it up a month or so ago and took it to the MVD place in Surprise to register it. They saw the paperwork was in French, told me to go to 59th ave and Bell station for a Level 2 inspection. They told me there I have to go to some Federal Inspection station in Chandler. Told them it was just a little utility trailer that I once in awhile use for camping but according to them since it is a grey market trailer all they do at the 59 and Bell station is seize and destroy them. Thanked them and left.
Stomper9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.