Anyone been to Toroweap/Tuweep Point? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Arizona Jeep Forum > Anyone been to Toroweap/Tuweep Point?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 03-12-2013, 12:41 PM   #1
EquinsuOcha
2013 JK Wrangler 

Anyone been to Toroweap/Tuweep Point?

My friends and I are are planning our first trip to the Grand Canyon in mid April and we are considering 2 options:

Trip 1: North Rim area, driving up to Toroweap Point Campground for 3 nights.

Trip 2: South Rim area, camp in the National Forest off the Forest Service roads for 2 days and make the hike up to Havasu Falls.

I've been doing my research on both options to make sure there are no surprises as we have never been to the Canyon, but maybe someone could share their experience or tips on camping these areas?

We're not going to the "reservation" campground as we see no fun in that. Finding primitive areas is more our cup of tea.

My main question is if anyone has traveled the the 60 mile road to the Toroweap/Tuweep campground? This road has a pretty ugly reputation on the web of shredding tires and 25% of people suffering car damage. I even called a ranger and he didn't exactly give me a boost of confidence regarding traveling this road, basically confirmed the rumors. No service, no reception, no help on this 60 mile road.

We're going with a 2013 Jeep Wrangler, no lift but I do have AT tires.

Any tips and advice appreciated.

EquinsuOcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2013, 05:19 PM   #2
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

From what I have read and looking at the "wells Book" all the trails in area 1 are all easy and one moderate. I would get the Charles Wells book for AZ. I would bring more than one Jeep is not a great idea to wheel alone in a area that you know there will be no help, no srevice. In az the trails are rated mainly 1-5. looking at thetrails there in my book that means Wells Easy is 1-1+ moderate about 2.5. To me that means any stock should have few issues with a fair driver. If you go alone meaning One Jeep. Do nothing that might mean walikng out. These roads in my book show a 45mph speed limit hardly wheeling you should be fine.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.