Would you... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Utah Jeep Forum > Would you...

The Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 08-19-2013, 02:57 PM   #1
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

Would you...

How many of you would do a straight title trade from a 97 Orvis Edition 5.2 ZJ to a 95 2.5 YJ?

Both have a couple minor issues and both have some extra stuff.

[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2013, 03:42 PM   #2
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

No way, I like the V8 too much...

If it had a hard top, and the interior was nice, maybe. But your Orvis is so clean.
*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
85IrocZ-28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2013, 05:19 PM   #3
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

It does have a hard top and doors. It also has a soft top and doors plus a bikini. Plus the transmission is a rebuilt AX-15 with a new clutch.

Did I mention it is pretty much as clean as my Orvis? The only cosmetic blemish is the clear coat on the hood is coming off.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Unread 08-19-2013, 05:24 PM   #4
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

My 93 YJ was a 2.5. I never had any real trouble with it, but damn that thing's a DOG. I lived in Oklahoma, so flat flat flat terrain. With no wind I topped out at 60mph. I never bothered finding out what the gearing was, but I managed to never get stuck so bad it couldn't get out. It also got about 13mpg, same as my '66 Corvette. And of course there's no useful room in it unless you remove the backseat. The only mechanical issues I ever saw with it was an oil pressure sender that died on a road trip and buried the needle (in the middle of nowhere, KS), and the infamous inside-the-bellhousing slave cylinder, which I think was relocated in 94 or 95 so that shouldn't be a problem.

I miss it, but I don't think I'd do the trade unless you've got a 4.0 or SBC to plug in. All the roof/door options make the deal a little sweeter, though.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2013, 06:02 PM   #5
Tuffjeeper
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I can see both sides, as my dd is a WJ (Not a ZJ but still a Grand), and my dad rocks a '95 YJ with a 2.5. To be completely honest, its what you want to do with it. The 2.5 will take that YJ anywhere, though you'd be a fool racing for pinks while driving it. Driving my dad's around town is absolutely fine with the 2.5. It is manageable, including the freeway though O.D. is likely out of the question if it has larger than stock tires and stock gears. My dad's YJ is on 35's and 4.88's and with a little persuasion it will hold 70 most of the time.

If you do little freeway, I'd say get the YJ, if commuting for you is huge, then stick with the ZJ. Owning a TJ and a WJ, I'd much sooner wheel the TJ, and commute the WJ. (Side note: How the heck do you dub owners see over that hood when wheeling?!?!?) If its around the town stuff, I'd say YJ. The 2.5 is almost exactly a 4.0 with 2 jugs chopped off. The bore and stroke are very similar, blah blah... I'd say reliability of a 2.5 is right on par with a 4.0.

Bottom line, I would do it. I commuted my Soft-Top, non-A/C TJ for 3 years from Spanish Fork to UVU til I had it paid for, then got a commuter. Its not the most comfortable, but I always wanted a Wrangler so I went for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrbear View Post
Destroyed it somehow..... It went wobble wobble wobble boom
Tuffjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2013, 06:40 PM   #6
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I would do it, My 95 was a 2.5L it was just as reliable as a 4.0L as far as hiway speeds its a Jeep it would do the speedlimit and maintain 75 but it also was regeared
Unread 08-19-2013, 08:07 PM   #7
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

Something I guess I need to point out - my commute is a 90 foot walk. My Jeep is pretty much a fun toy to play with that isn't my wife's Neon. Regardless what Jeep I own, it's 100% for fun. Occasionally I use it to go get groceries or stuff we need for the apartment complex. But really the only reason I still want the ZJ is because of the V-8. The Lazy-Boy-on-wheels comfort is a plus, all the toys (climate control, power everything) are fun, but not necessary.

All the points I loved about my Willys are included in a Wrangler and missing in the ZJ. All the points I didn't like about the Willys are missing in the Wrangler. But all the points I love about my ZJ are more than missing in the Wrangler - they're blatantly hiding.

I have no idea about the gearing on it, probably (most likely) stock. It has fairly new 31's on it (no idea about brand). It has tube bumpers front and rear and tube sliders on the sides. Fire engine red paint, no rust blisters I could see but clear coat peeling on the hood. Hard top is still very black (no sign of sun fading). Oh, and no lift at all. There's only about an inch or two between the tread and fenders. So no major flexing until I could lift it.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Unread 08-19-2013, 08:27 PM   #8
team1k
1992 YJ Wrangler 

If its just an offroad toy then i say go for it. One major benefit is you wont have to deal with the death wobble your zj has right now. I wheeled a 94 4cyl and offroad it did pretty much anything i wanted it to. I did have to shift into 4-lo for stuff that i can now do in 4-hi. The 4cyl will have 4.10 gears. i swapped in 4.88s and it helped alot with the 32's i was running. One of the main reasons i gave up the 4cyl was the ax5 tranny and the lack of power on the highway. I pull my offroad trailer when i go camping and once offroad it was fine but trying to keep 65mph with that thing on the freeway was a nightmare. not only that but the tranny started going out on me in moab and died by the time i got it back home.

If your not going to be pulling a trailer alot i say go for it. Or if your willing to drop the coin you can get an ax15 and swap it in with some work.
"YJ's are for poor people" - Brian
team1k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2013, 08:35 PM   #9
Tuffjeeper
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by team1k
If its just an offroad toy then i say go for it.
This.

Quote:
Unread 08-19-2013, 08:39 PM   #10
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by team1k View Post
Or if your willing to drop the coin you can get an ax15 and swap it in with some work.
I am pretty sure when the original transmission went out it was replaced by an AX-15. How would I visually be able to tell the difference between a 5 and a 15? Do they have different shift patterns at all?
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Unread 08-19-2013, 08:46 PM   #11
team1k
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I believe the ax-5 is and inch or so shorter, however this thread on JF http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/ax5-ax15-947657/ has a little more info on how to tell.
Unread 08-19-2013, 09:26 PM   #12
Tuffjeeper
2000 TJ Wrangler 

According to Novak, up in Logan the AX-15 Transmission case is 16.5" long and the AX-5 is 15 5/8" long.

Quote:
Unread 08-19-2013, 09:44 PM   #13
team1k
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffjeeper
According to Novak, up in Logan the AX-15 Transmission case is 16.5" long and the AX-5 is 15 5/8" long.
Hey I was almost right!
Unread 08-19-2013, 10:07 PM   #14
Tuffjeeper
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by team1k View Post
Hey I was almost right!
Hey it's better than I would have guessed, I thought they were the same length before doing some research.

Darrin, IIRC 95's were one of the few years to get a galvanized tub, and the 5-760x U-joints in the front axle. If you get it, I'd recommend taking off the front and rear sway bars before fueling it up the first time... They ride a lot smoother and having leaf springs, still can maintain a good stability without a lot of sway.

Quote:
Unread 08-20-2013, 10:19 AM   #15
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffjeeper

Hey it's better than I would have guessed, I thought they were the same length before doing some research.

Darrin, IIRC 95's were one of the few years to get a galvanized tub, and the 5-760x U-joints in the front axle. If you get it, I'd recommend taking off the front and rear sway bars before fueling it up the first time... They ride a lot smoother and having leaf springs, still can maintain a good stability without a lot of sway.
Trackbars also.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.