WJ heater core help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Utah Jeep Forum > WJ heater core help!

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 07-23-2013, 12:24 AM   #1
GODMODEX
2001 TJ Wrangler 

WJ heater core help!

I've got an 01 WJ that I'm in the process of trying to do the heater core on. I've got the dash out, I just am struggling with the hvac. Anyone who has done this and would be willing to lend a helping hand would be appreciated!

Unread 07-23-2013, 12:51 AM   #2
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

I wish I had time this week to help, maybe I can guide you through the problem though. Where are you getting hung up?

There is a great three part video on Youtube, have you seen that? Once you are down to the HVAC box, it should be pretty easy. Don't forget to open your hood, and disconnect the heater hoses and the AC lines before you remove the HVAC box from the cabin of the vehicle.
*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
85IrocZ-28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2013, 12:53 AM   #3
GODMODEX
2001 TJ Wrangler 

That's what I'm having trouble with^^ I can't get the heater core hoses off, I can't even fit my hand back there to reach the clamps... I also couldn't find the bolts that hold the hvac console on. Any tips on getting those hoses off?? or where the bolts holding the hvac unit are located?
Unread 07-23-2013, 01:45 AM   #4
team1k
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Sometimes I find its easier to cut the hoses and replace with new ones if they are that stubborn. May be your best option if they are inaccessible
"YJ's are for poor people" - Brian
team1k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2013, 02:31 PM   #5
GODMODEX
2001 TJ Wrangler 

If I disconnect them higher up can I just pull them through or does it have to be disconnected at the firewall?
Unread 07-23-2013, 03:09 PM   #6
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

PM replied. You can disco them at the firewall, or at the other end and feed them through I guess. But I would shine a flashlight down there to make sure that the hose clamp will not get hung up on the firewall, I can't remember how large the holes through the firewall are.

Edit: Found a pic...they will likely both slide right through the firewall. A/C still needs to be disco'd though, and I would do that at the firewall as those hoses have sections of hard line and would be a pain to get through the firewall.

*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
Unread 07-23-2013, 03:48 PM   #7
GODMODEX
2001 TJ Wrangler 

hey thanks, I got the AC lines undone just now, and the hoses pushed through to ensure they'll slide through. I'm going to get them through to where I can get at the clamp and then undo them in the cab. Where do I need to unbolt the HVAC unit for it to come out now? thanks again for your help I'm flying blind on this project and without you I wouldn't have known what to do!
Unread 07-25-2013, 12:39 AM   #8
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

You may have already found them as I haven't been online in a while.

There are a few bolts holding it on, some from above and some from below. I think you can see a couple of them in my pic above...white round circles with the bolt sticking out just above the passenger feet area. Just look around the perimeter of the HVAC box where it meets the firewall.

Once it comes out, the Heater Core is held on with a few bolts on the back side. Mine didn't exactly fit perfectly well in there, so I used some HVAC tape to seal my new heater core in place:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.