What's your two cents worth? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Utah Jeep Forum > What's your two cents worth?

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 01-09-2014, 10:46 PM   #1
I Jeep II
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Tj What's your two cents worth?

I kinda think I want to get a new CB. I have narrowed it down to either a Uniden PRO520XL or a Cobra 19DXIV. Does anyone have any input, positive or negative regarding either of these units? I currently have a K40 K401, it has been a great little unit...I'm just wondering if any of the newer units are really any better than what I have.

Unread 01-10-2014, 06:53 AM   #2
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

Can I throw something else in the works here?

How about a Cobra 75 WX ST? In a Wrangler they're that extra little bit of security in that potential thieves can't see the radio (primarily because you take it with you).

All the controls are in the microphone and the actual radio is remote located somewhere hidden. Once you take out the microphone, the only thing you see is the 4 prong plug.

The only down side is the tiny little speaker in the back of the microphone. In an open top vehicle a remote speaker is advisable.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2014, 07:51 AM   #3
team1k
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I agree with darrin. My cobra has been the bomb. I went to radio shack and purchased the $12 external speaker which helps with the sound volume. Only drawback is it doesn't support using it as a PA which I really wanted
"YJ's are for poor people" - Brian
team1k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2014, 09:09 AM   #4
sanctified
2013 JK Wrangler 

Where do you have your CB mounted right now and what about your current CB do you not like?
Utah Jeep Crew #178
sanctified is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2014, 01:42 PM   #5
90lsturbo
scratches add character..

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanctified View Post
Where do you have your CB mounted right now and what about your current CB do you not like?
I took mine back out on account that 1. I.don't have a door key to lock my CJ 2. It's consistently has someone going through it which.is part of why I'm moving this spring to.somewhere with a garage but.mine was/ is located under the dash by my stereo
1984 cj7- new rig and no rust lol

#89 UJC
"Real men dont let their friends drive prius's"
90lsturbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2014, 03:04 PM   #6
I Jeep II
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Tj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_D View Post
Can I throw something else in the works here?

How about a Cobra 75 WX ST? In a Wrangler they're that extra little bit of security in that potential thieves can't see the radio (primarily because you take it with you).

All the controls are in the microphone and the actual radio is remote located somewhere hidden. Once you take out the microphone, the only thing you see is the 4 prong plug.

The only down side is the tiny little speaker in the back of the microphone. In an open top vehicle a remote speaker is advisable.
I really considered the 75WX, but I don't hear very well as it is...that little speaker doesn't stand a chance. And I know they sell external speakers...but I really just want clean and simple. I hate clutter...
Unread 01-10-2014, 03:08 PM   #7
I Jeep II
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Tj

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanctified View Post
It's mounted next to the shifter...and it's getting a little old, I thought a new one might be nice. But there is nothing wrong with the one have.
Unread 01-14-2014, 12:35 PM   #8
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Jeep II View Post
I really considered the 75WX, but I don't hear very well as it is...that little speaker doesn't stand a chance. And I know they sell external speakers...but I really just want clean and simple. I hate clutter...
I went with the Uniden ( the 510, not 520 that you're looking at) for this exact reason. It's plenty loud for me and I didn't want the hassle of the external speaker either. With that being said, I don't know enough about CBs to tell you why you might need to replace the one you have. I went with a small, cheap unit that fit where I wanted to place it and got good reviews. It works great on the trail, and I am able to tune it well enough to get reception a few miles out at times. For a trail CB what more could I ask for!
Unread 01-26-2014, 11:24 AM   #9
damndirtydog
2009 JK Wrangler 

Pretty satisfied with the Uniden 505XL. Transmits and receives very well.
I mounted mine on the back side of the console above the back seat drink holders on my JK.
Out of sight of thieving little ******bags. Still accessible when driving, easy to hear and no big trick to running the coax from tailgate under the carpeting to the back of the console.
damndirtydog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2014, 11:41 AM   #10
Polecat
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I have the Uniden 510 and added and external speaker attached to the roll bar behind my head. The unit is mounted in the center console. I need to re-do the antenna mount as I think I have lost the ground contact between the mount and the body.
Unread 01-26-2014, 03:14 PM   #11
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

The Uniden Pro 510 is an excellent CB. And if you clip the limiting resistor you can bump up above the factory 4W to about 6.5W.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2014, 09:08 PM   #12
Boreal
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

h4x!
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.