What's Moab like in March? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Utah Jeep Forum > What's Moab like in March?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits 2010-14 Jeep Wrangler Island Topper Black Rugged Ridge 1352007-2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4 Door Black Cargo Net (

Unread 03-19-2013, 10:42 PM   #31
EDM
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Wow!!! What an incredible place! Chicken Corners, Lockhart Basin, Fins & Things, Hell's Revenge, Kane Creek Canyon and Picture Frame Arch so far. Hope to hit Top of the World and Rose Garden area tomorrow.

EDM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2013, 11:19 PM   #32
team1k
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
Wow!!! What an incredible place! Chicken Corners, Lockhart Basin, Fins & Things, Hell's Revenge, Kane Creek Canyon and Picture Frame Arch so far. Hope to hit Top of the World and Rose Garden area tomorrow.
Did you do chicken corners and then lockhart basin right after? Bit of a long drive huh?

Picture frame arch is cool too, if you get a chance to be in that area again i suggest hopping over to pritchett arch. Its not a difficult road to get there and is by far my favorite arch in moab. Its massive.

Can you let me know how Rose Garden is after your run it? Me, Boreal, and some other users on here are running it this Saturday
"YJ's are for poor people" - Brian
team1k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2013, 11:30 PM   #33
EDM
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by team1k

Did you do chicken corners and then lockhart basin right after? Bit of a long drive huh?

Picture frame arch is cool too, if you get a chance to be in that area again i suggest hopping over to pritchett arch. Its not a difficult road to get there and is by far my favorite arch in moab. Its massive.

Can you let me know how Rose Garden is after your run it? Me, Boreal, and some other users on here are running it this Saturday
Pretty long day for sure. The start of Lockhart Basin and the obstacles on Kane's Creek have been a challenge for my little TJ on 30's. Rose Garden Hill sounds even tougher.
Unread 03-19-2013, 11:34 PM   #34
team1k
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah that interchange from chicken corners to Lockhart was pretty sketchy. Particularly for my brother on 31s, no lockers, and limited experience. Props to you on 30s. Did you happen to stop by the airplane wreckage out there or see the observation building built into the cliff?
Unread 03-19-2013, 11:47 PM   #35
EDM
2003 TJ Wrangler 

We didn't really stop for anything for fear of getting caught in the dark. The sway bar disconnects have been worth their weight in gold on this trip just to keep the tires in contact with the ground. By buddy's CJ-7 on 31'a and 2" lift has been amazing!
Unread 03-20-2013, 10:29 AM   #36
rmaytee
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Pritchett Canyon sounds a little hairy for a wrangler with 30s. Never been on it, but all I read is to expect damage, and on-trail repairs. That roll-overs are frequent, and if you aren't experienced at repairing your vehicle on the trail you shouldn't do it. Is that an exaggeration? My XJ has a 6.5 lift, 32" tires and a rear locker.
Unread 03-20-2013, 10:53 PM   #37
EDM
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Ran Onion Creek, Fisher Towers out to Rose Garden Hill but didn't run it. Just too much for a TJ on 30's. There are about three ledges where anything less than 32's, 2+" lift and locked would struggle. We did run Top of the World as well. Spectacular view! Over 100 miles today. Seven Mile Rim tomorrow. The weather has been fantastic.
Unread 03-20-2013, 11:54 PM   #38
team1k
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
Ran Onion Creek, Fisher Towers out to Rose Garden Hill but didn't run it. Just too much for a TJ on 30's. There are about three ledges where anything less than 32's, 2+" lift and locked would struggle. We did run Top of the World as well. Spectacular view! Over 100 miles today. Seven Mile Rim tomorrow. The weather has been fantastic.
Awesome thanks for the report back. Definitely getting stoked for this weekend.
Unread 03-21-2013, 10:06 AM   #39
bradentaala
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmaytee View Post
Pritchett Canyon sounds a little hairy for a wrangler with 30s. Never been on it, but all I read is to expect damage, and on-trail repairs. That roll-overs are frequent, and if you aren't experienced at repairing your vehicle on the trail you shouldn't do it. Is that an exaggeration? My XJ has a 6.5 lift, 32" tires and a rear locker.
Pritchett Canyon is my favorite trail in Moab (excluding BFE). I think a TJ on 30's would have to be winched or pulled up just about everything. Last year we took a TJ on 33's locked in the rear and we had to pull him up the bottom of Chewy, rocker knocker, axle hill and rock pile bypass. 35's and locked shouldn't have an issue though.
'00 TJ, 14" coilovers, teraflex speedbumps, double triangulated 4 link, 3 link, D60, 14 bolt, 42" Kevlars, 17" walker evans beadlocks, high lines, 104" wb, atlas 4 (11.7:1), hydro assist steering, hydro boost brakes, belly up, Corbeau CR1 w/5pt harness.

bradentaala is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2013, 10:13 AM   #40
rmaytee
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for confirming that. I figured that was the case. I was a bit surprised it was even suggested given the description of the rig.
Unread 03-21-2013, 05:15 PM   #41
ZJMarshall
1994 ZJ 

I think they were suggesting Pritchett Arch, which is an easy dirt road if I remember correctly...

UJC Member #144
ZJMarshall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2013, 11:15 AM   #42
rmaytee
1999 XJ Cherokee 

It was a little colder than I 'm used to experiencing in Moab, but the weather was still great for March. It was sunny both days. The Jeep performed well. It was a short weekend at Moab. My step-dad is on dialysis 3 days a week, so it is hard to get away for too long. He has never been on any hard-core wheeling, so it was great to get him out, and sometimes, behind the wheel.

The first day we just spend about 4 hours on the "Dome Plateau" trail. A more scenic trail where I did 95% in 2-wheel drive. But we loved it.

The second day we took our sweet time on "Hell's Revenge" (my absolute favorite trail). Normally we do in about 3 hours, but I think we took at least 5-6 stopping to enjoy the view, watching other rigs, and even trying my hand on "Hell's Gate" obstacle for my first time.

Not sure I'll ever do this again without a spotter, but I did this day.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.