post #1 of Old 01-10-2016, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Lory
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Vancouverites coming to Moab in April 2016

Wheeling in British Columbia is a lot different than in Moab... I expect.

Is there a thread around here that might outline a checklist of stuff you should have for a week of wheeling down there that we rainforest folks might not think about?

As an example, if asked about my wheeling area I would say, bug spray, shovel, tarp, axe, chain saw, swede saw, tree savers, bear bells, bear spray... Things like that, that a person from Moab *might* not have in his kit. Anything would be more than I know now.

post #2 of Old 01-12-2016, 12:25 PM
Olsen
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The Easter Jeep Safari will have been ran the month before or I could of been able to meet you Vancouverites there!

U-joints or complete axle shaft. Contingent upon you, your rig and trails of choice of course.
U joints or complete drivelines. Contingent upon you, your rig and trails of choice of course.
Tow strap, winch, tools.
Camera
Bug spray.
Drinking water
Make sure your engine, trans mounts are good as too much flex with those will send your fan into your shroud and or radiator.
Did I mention a camera!
post #3 of Old 01-13-2016, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Lory
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Man alive... I am glad I asked. Do you guys actually drive around with spare drive lines and axle shafts? I have U-joints, belts, suspension bolts and replacement bits and even air tools and a 10 cu on board York to power them. I thought I was pretty well set up... damn.

So bug spray is a universal and I have a Go Pro so I am good that way. I will check my mounts but the long arm handles the sway and flex well (He says confidently). We have some big holes up here too, but there's usually a load of water in the form of a river at the bottom.

Sorry, another thing came up in conversation. What will the weather be like? We are there Apr 9 to 18, 2016.
post #4 of Old 01-13-2016, 02:29 PM
Olsen
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Ha, no it is not that extreme. Some people just find it less painful to throw in a complete shaft while in the 'outback' than to R&R the U joint, and Jeep drive lines are fairly short so spares can be hidden easily.
I do take complete spare shafts and drivelines (for the other guys ) when I run the Rubicon but not when in Moab.
But again this relates to which trails you are intending on running. Trails rated up to 7 if you are experienced you should have no issues. The 8 and above trails are where the damage starts. I see that your rig is setup for this but I knew not if one of you will be in a fairly stock CJ when I posted.
I will be there just 2 weeks prior to your arrival. I have woken up with 4 inches of snow on the ground, (rare) and have been sunburned in the same week there.
So take a light rain poncho (just in case) but definitely a heavier jacket in case your still out when the sun goes down, and T-shirts and shorts for the days.
Wind is more common on the tops of course and light breezes down lower.
That early you may not encounter bugs.

I drive a 97 TJ with 35s.
You have probably been to this page for trail info but here it is again. http://www.rr4w.com/Trails-Home.cfm

When are you leaving BC as I could update you prior to that date with any weather or trail gotchas.
post #5 of Old 01-14-2016, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Lory
2003 TJ Wrangler 

We are driving down Friday the 8th of April, probably 2 days down, via Salt Lake City. We want to camp a bit and save the motels for when we get too dirty to stand each other. My dad is coming, he's 80 but looks and acts about 60. He actually had the Jeep first, bought it new back in 2002 (he was 66) after my mum died, it was his catharsis. He used to love going out in your deserts and sleeping alone for weeks at a time. He had the long arms put on in the first couple of months and after seeing his Moab pictures my sister and I demanded that he have a cage built into it. I did the air system and some other smaller things but have not used it as much as I had hoped.

Sorry... that sort of all just came out! Anyway, he (Lory II) and my son (Lory IV) and my nephew and a couple more friends are making the trek, sort of the last hurrah for my dad and his "Jeeping" ways.
post #6 of Old 01-14-2016, 05:21 PM
RockyMnt1
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Just an FYI, cell phones are not that effective in Moab depending on where you go. I would recommend a personal locator beacon.There are few items to hook on to for winching purposes, so traveling with another vehicle is also recommended.

Temps should be fairly pleasent during that time, but Olsen is right about the weather extremes. Here in Colorado, April is the month with the most snow......
post #7 of Old 01-14-2016, 07:06 PM
Olsen
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Lory,
Thanks for the story line, I admire and am jealous of your entourage. I lost my dad in 2009 and I am still angry that he gone. TAKE MANY PICTURES please while on this trip. RockyMnt1 made a very critical point, communication is very spotty for cells. I use amatuer radio and CB while there, or any trail for that matter. Looks like you will be driving right 'through' my hood on your travels. I am in Ogden, just North of Salt Lake.
post #8 of Old 01-18-2016, 03:33 PM
RockyMnt1
2006 LJ Wrangler 

There is liable to be moisture before your visit. Be aware of quick sand:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f58/q...-utah-2291993/

Speaking of water, plan on 1 gallon per person per day. Now that is probably overkill a bit since that is what is recommended for the summer (100+ * F), but this is an arid area and you folks are used to having mold grow on you with all of your rainforests...... Humidity levels below 10% are not uncommon, so you loose body liquids just breathing

I would also add a hat and sunblock (yes, even in April).
post #9 of Old 01-19-2016, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Lory
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Rain wear warm clothes, water.. got it...

Quicksand??!? I thought you were having me on... then I clicked the link. WTF!!!?? See, we have tidal flats and everyone know hows they work, apparently just like quicksand but with tidal flats you can SEE THE OCEAN... they are hard to miss. Granted if you are stupid enough to drive onto a tidal flat at low tide getting stuck is going to be the least of your troubles when the tide comes in. We are having 15 foot tides these days so everyone just knows better, your jeep just becomes an anchor.

Back to quicksand... how the <expletive> do you know where they are? Gawd that's horrifying and funny at the same time. ll my 5' hi lift will do is go deeper than a 4' one will. Okay, note taken, avoid the quicksand.
post #10 of Old 01-19-2016, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Lory
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Oh yeah, an update. So I took the Rube in to have his from hubs bashed off after I stripped the heads of the 12 point bolts trying to get the ujoints replaced. North Shore Off Road, best place in Vancouver for Jeeps, great friends and they let you walk around under your rig as they show you the problems:
  • Hubs apart, six new bolts
  • Two outer and one front u-joint.
  • All new front seals (mine were leaking)
  • New rear pinion seal (see above but REALLY leaking)
  • One rear shock, top side attached at all (mount bashed to S&*t)
  • Front drive shaft too short (never correct since lift 12 years ago, splines worn clean out.)
  • Four new ball joints (LOTS of play)
  • Rear bumper is being held on with two bolts, two torn off, two just missing)
  • Rear lower long arm grease nipples torn off - replace with flush nipples and flip the arms over.
  • Alignment... I think that's it.

Hey... they AC still works though...

Quote of the day from Angelo under my rusty Jeep that lived most of its life at the ocean front... "Hey, we were wondering... do you use this to launch boats or something?"
post #11 of Old 01-19-2016, 07:32 PM
RockyMnt1
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lory View Post
Rain wear warm clothes, water.. got it...

Quicksand??!? I thought you were having me on... then I clicked the link. WTF!!!?? See, we have tidal flats and everyone know hows they work, apparently just like quicksand but with tidal flats you can SEE THE OCEAN... they are hard to miss. Granted if you are stupid enough to drive onto a tidal flat at low tide getting stuck is going to be the least of your troubles when the tide comes in. We are having 15 foot tides these days so everyone just knows better, your jeep just becomes an anchor.

Back to quicksand... how the <expletive> do you know where they are? Gawd that's horrifying and funny at the same time. ll my 5' hi lift will do is go deeper than a 4' one will. Okay, note taken, avoid the quicksand.
Quicksand will be in the wash and draw areas where streams flow. Stay out of slot canyons if there is rain predicted due to the possibility of flash floods. The quicksand may not be visible as there might be a dry crust of dirt on top of the quicksand.

Two points from this example:
1) 7 mile hike to get a cell signal
2) $700 tow fee
post #12 of Old 01-21-2016, 10:29 AM
RockyMnt1
2006 LJ Wrangler 

This is why you stay out of slot canyons during rain storms:

and...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...53483897200629
post #13 of Old 01-22-2016, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Lory
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Stay out of 1)"washes", 2)"draws" and 3)"slot canyons"... uh... I am hoping Google can answer three obvious questions I now have.

Anyone there wanna meet us and make sure stay out of these three things... whatever they are?
post #14 of Old 01-26-2016, 12:10 PM
Olsen
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Hmmm, I mentioned to my wife about turning around and hitting Moab again with you guys after the Easter Jeep Safari week and she was actually interested. Damn that was a loooong sentence.
If my Quids and Duckets are available then we may join you.
post #15 of Old 01-26-2016, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Lory
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olsen View Post
Hmmm, I mentioned to my wife about turning around and hitting Moab again with you guys after the Easter Jeep Safari week and she was actually interested. Damn that was a loooong sentence.
If my Quids and Duckets are available then we may join you.
Cool!! We have been crawling around on maps laying on the floor making marks and googling names.

Excitement is setting in.

I'll bite... "quids and duckets?"