Utah Ultimate Adventure, or something - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Utah Jeep Forum > Utah Ultimate Adventure, or something

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Jeep LED Light Lights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955

Unread 08-16-2013, 04:04 PM   #1
team1k
1992 YJ Wrangler 

B.O.A.R. 2013 Current Plan: Date: September 28th-29th Time:Start Sat 8:30am, end Sun 8-10PM Meeting Location:South-East corner(Closest to the gas station) of Wal-Mart in Saratoga Springs. Click HERE for direction. Vehicle Requirements:
  • 31 inch tires (Anyone with smaller tires that would still like to go please let me know.)
  • Street legal and registered
  • Enough fuel to go 150 miles each day. There will be opportunities to refuel in Eureka, Ophir, and Tooele.
Preferred items:
  • CB radio
What to bring:
  • Enough food and water to last 2 days, 1 night in the desert west of Utah Lake
  • Camping gear for one night
  • Good attitude, NO WHINERS(as Petersens magazine likes to say)
What to expect:
  • 8-10 hours of wheeling each day.
  • Travel will be at an average pace determined by the slowest member. A tailgunner will make sure we are all together.
  • Temperatures will most likely be hot in the day and fairly cold at night. Prepare accordingly.
  • Some trails are less traveled and as such have overgrowth. Sagebrush and trees may brush vehicles(aka Rocky Mountain Pinstriping)
What's Provided:
  • Each participant will be given stickers for the event, as well as UJC stickers if they want. These can be in any color and size(to match vehicle). These are free.
  • Firewood will be provided for the overnight camp.
Planning on coming: (Forum Names)
  • Team1k
  • Comanchekid1k
  • Modstock - 1 army green Utah logo, 10"x10". 1 white Boar and 1 black Boar logo, standard size.
  • kurtbrown64
  • Moparich - Stickers: 1 white Utah logo, standard size. 1 black Boar logo, standard size
  • Moparich FJ friend
  • Ericon18 - Stickers: 1 Black, 1 white Utah km2 tread, standard size
  • Ericon18 Brandon A. - 1 white Utah Dick Cepek tread sticker, standard size
  • Ericon18 mike - 1 white Utah federal tread sticker, standard size
  • Jeepthing08 - Stickers: 1 white Boar logo, standard size.
  • Offroadforlife - Stickers: 1 black Boar logo, standard size
  • Petty144 - Stickers: 1 white Utah logo, standard size. 1 white Boar logo, standard size. 1 windshield
  • UTWJ2000 - Stickers: 1 white Boar logo, standard size.
  • UTWJ2000 Friend
  • 99tjdoc
  • bikerdude - stickers: 1 white Utah logo, standard size. 1 white Boar logo, standard size. 1 windshield
Planning on coming: (Facebook Names, Some may be listed above as well)
  • Brian
  • Lindsay
  • Jeff
  • Eric W. - Black/White Boar logo, standard size
  • Matt P.
  • Kurt B.
  • Eric A.
  • Rich A.
  • Josh T.
  • Andrew N.
  • Stephen C.
  • Brandon A.
On the fence: (Tentatively planning on coming)
  • LeeMasterGT
  • Tom95YJ
  • SLEVEN
  • Ralph_801
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/boar1k Trip teaser video:
Trip Map Overview small2_003.jpg Some Available Stickers 1.jpg 2.jpg ***Original Message*** So if i dont throw this out here it will never get done but for those of you who read Petersens 4 Wheel and Off-Road this will sound familiar. Basically each year they do whats called the Ultimate Adventure where a few people are chosen to go on a weeklong wheeling trip. Each time their magazine does a writeup for it and they always say something along the lines of "you should get your friends together and do this time of thing yourselves" Since i started reading about it 3 years ago ive been contemplating doing something similar and actually have 1 route 90% planned out, and a second about 50%. Anyway this wouldnt be a weeklong thing, im thinking more of 2 days but would like to get some input and see if there is any interest. The actual event has a few rules that we could use as a guideline. Im not goin to post all the rules but a description and the rules list for the actual event can be found here http://www.fourwheeler.com/ultimate-adventure/131-1212-ultimate-adventure-2013-application/ Some of the highlights are: -Rig must be street legal and driven the entire trip, no trailering unless it breaks down or to the beginning/pickup at the end. -You must be self-sufficient(basically carry your own gear, food, etc...) -No whiners! So here is where im at so far: -Ive got a route that will hit a few wheeling hotspots, with scenic driving and sights in between. -90% of it is on dirt roads once we start the trail. -I believe we would want 2 days to hit everything comfortably, but the route could be adjusted to take longer or shorter. -The route should be doable by most stock 4x4's im familiar with, not because its a cakewalk, but because i have different routes ive plotted to get to the same places. Also many of the wheeling hotspots have bypasses for non-built vehicles. Now i need input. Here are some thoughts ive had: -First is there any interest in this? -Should there be any vehicle requirements? (tire size is my main concern but should sliders, CB's, or anything be a must?) one advantage to a requirement is we would all be able to do the entire trip without splitting up(for the most part) -How should we do the 2 days? Start on a friday morning around 8-10 am and end saturday night around 8? or would people prefer a saturday starting date and ending on sunday? We could make a go at leaving on a friday night at 6 to try and avoid having people take off work but i think that would ruin the whole adventure aspect. Two days on the road seems about right. -Would people be interested in having a sticker made for the event? I could probably get this sponsored for free. -What should we call the event? -Should it even be an event or should we just get together for a wheeling trip? I kind of like the idea of stickers and such since its not your average wheeling trip but is that dumb? Im fine with making it as big or small of a deal as we want. -Would everyone rather be self-sufficient or would there be interest in charging a minimal (under $5 fee) and having a big meal as a group one day? maybe bacon, hashbrown, eggs breakfast or some kind of dinner. I could probably get some grills lent to us for it. -Should the route be unknown or would people prefer to know ahead of time what we will be doing. -How far would people be willing to travel? Currently my first two routes are fairly local to utah county. At any time on the trip you would only be about an hour from the valley, maybe 2 on the second route, however there are other towns you will be near as my routes stop by these towns for getting gas if needed/seeing stuff. Im just thinking for future trips but thats probably getting too ahead of myself. Thats all i can think of at the moment. Im very open to suggestions and feel free to say this is the stupidest thing you've heard of, im fine just doing it myself, just figure this could be turned into an annual event.

small2_002.jpg   boar_w_date.jpg   full_boar_logo.jpg  
"YJ's are for poor people" - Brian
team1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 08:37 PM   #2
Moab_cj5
2010 JK Wrangler 

Interesting...I could easily be talked into it. I would vote for a Thurs afternoon / evening start, finish on Sat night. I am not opposed to putting miles on and exploring.

I will add more thoughts when I sit down at a computer instead of on my phone.
Moab_cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 08:38 PM   #3
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

That sounds like a great Idea, I would make 31's, Recovery points/Gear a Requirement but most of us in UJC are running 33-35" tires with some armor and recovery points
Unread 08-16-2013, 09:32 PM   #4
plrbear
2008 JK Wrangler 

This sounds awesome!

2008 2dr JK Mostly stock...
http://www.jackstireandoil.com
Utah Jeep Crew #09
plrbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 09:52 PM   #5
MButeFan
2011 JK Wrangler 

Sounds great to me! Weekends are tough but with a little notice I could possibly swing something.
MButeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2013, 02:57 PM   #6
team1k
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Cool, sounds like there is interest. Requiring 31s sounds reasonable. Would that exclude anyone who's interested? I'm going to move forward with my goal of finishing the mapping this next weekend. With any luck, and if it works for people, maybe we could do this in September. If not then there is always next year.

Any input on the other questions I posted? Stickers, name, etc...
Unread 08-19-2013, 08:31 PM   #7
team1k
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Bump! Still looking for input. For me starting on a saturday at 8-10ish am and finishing on sunday would be easier work wise, but im willing do go with what the majority wants. Any input on that? Should i start making polls for this, would that be easier? If we get the details hammered out soon we could shoot for the end of september
Unread 08-20-2013, 12:51 AM   #8
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

This sounds awesome! I could even see doing a 2 day trip to start and in the future upping it to 3 or 4 days. I think, for example, wheeling Moab, then st George, then a trail in AZ would be a very memorable trip.

I also agree with what was mentioned above; Meet/possibly camp Thursday night, wheel Friday and Saturday. Head home Saturday evening. What route did you have in mind?
Unread 08-20-2013, 08:35 AM   #9
Boreal
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I am down.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 04:05 PM   #10
kellerexpress
2008 JK Wrangler 

I am down as well, sounds fun!
kellerexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 06:25 PM   #11
team1k
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeMasterGT View Post
I also agree with what was mentioned above; Meet/possibly camp Thursday night, wheel Friday and Saturday. Head home Saturday evening. What route did you have in mind?
I should hopefully get the full trail mapped out this weekend but its looking like we will either be doing a friday morning around 8-10am meet time to saturday night around 8-10pm, or saturday morning around 8-10am to sunday 8-10pm. That would require only 1 overnight camp setup/takedown but still get us the 2 days needed to run the trail.
Unread 08-20-2013, 06:48 PM   #12
team1k
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Assuming all goes well this weekend, and all trails are still open since i last drove them, heres the basic route. I would be surprised if people have been on more than 50% of these roads so most of it will be new things for people to see. We also stop at some common 4 wheeling areas to get the rock crawling out of our system. Pavement driving is kept at a minimum. Id say only 10% is on pavement.

Day:1
Meet at saratoga springs walmart for last minute food and gas.
Enter trail at saratoga springs
Take the northern entrance to cell phone towers
Check out the towers and aircraft navigation beacon up there
Exit through the south entrance
Take trail through backcountry valleys and come in the back entrance to Little Moab
Play around at little moabs various offroad spots
Stop over at/drive through the mountain train tunnel(40'ish long tunnel that has been blasted in the mountain.
Head east into valley, take route thru hills, and exit at Eureka.
Explore eureka ghost town if there is interest
Refuel
Take a different route out of Eureka and back into the hills
Re-enter the valley by little moab
Take mountain pass west and head over the pass(fairly scenic climb)
Drop into valley on the other side
Setup camp at designated camp site there.

Day 2:
Engage in some high speed desert bombing fun down an old railroad bed. The bed is 13 miles long and almost perfectly flat. Very fun!
Road ends near 5 mile pass.
Take a quick 5 min drive on pavement to 5 mile pass rattlesnake turnout
Run rattlesnake then constrictor, or after running rattlesnake split into 2 groups. One to run constrictor, the other to take the scenic route up into the mountain with a stop at a 2 story mine tailing sorting building large enough to park a jeep under(if its still standing)
Regroup and exit 5 mile pass
Take pavement for a few miles then stop at Ophir(if there is interest)
In ophir there are a few off road trails we could check out (dependent on time and if i can route them out)
Exit ophir trails and head back onto pavement til reaching tooele.
Refuel if needed.
From tooele take mountain pass that has an overview of kennecott copper mine and exit in herriman area.
Trip ends here.
Unread 08-20-2013, 08:51 PM   #13
Boreal
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Like 95% of that would be new to me. Sounds awesome!
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 08:53 PM   #14
team1k
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Due to feedback ive recieved in PM's and such please tentatively plan for September 28th-29th(sat-sun). 95% sure its going to happen that week since it works best for me as well. Hope to see you guys there and again please feel free to comment.
Unread 08-20-2013, 09:31 PM   #15
team1k
1992 YJ Wrangler 

First post has been updated with the latest and greatest info. Still looking for feedback on if we want a name/stickers for this thing. Maybe some special edition of the current UJC logo?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.