Utah Jeep Inspection Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Utah Jeep Forum > Utah Jeep Inspection Questions

PANDEMIC-USA 50" Double row LED LIGHT BAR!! These thiANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete The Jeep Forum Discount is ON!

Unread 06-28-2015, 09:15 AM   #1
young-blood
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Utah Jeep Inspection Questions

Utah Jeepers! I am a Texan who will be moving to Davis county in Utah soon. I built my LJ in Texas and was not surprised my home state has relatively little interference in what I could do with my own vehicle. Utah however, seems to have comparatively lots of rules. I found info on Liftlaws.com and have done some other searches but I have a couple of questions.

Does Utah law require mudflaps on all four wheels or just the rear ones on my lifted Jeep?

Does Utah require me to have a rear bumper that is as wide as my tires (read this somewhere, but it isn't in the info on lift laws.)?

How is track width defined? My axles are stock, and I'll be removing my spacers, but will my new properly backspaced wheels and 35x12.50 tires constitute an increased track width and therefore longer fender flares? My stock flares don't cover the 12.50s even without the spacers.

I have all the parts to do a TDI swap but no time during the move. The swap includes an EGR delete. Anybody know what emissions requirements are on a Late model Jeep with a swapped engine?

I don't want a fix it ticket so please don't recommend I "find a place that will pass me anyway." I have done that before with motorcycles and the trip to the inspection place and jury rigging to get the thing legal and expunge the ticket are a PITA. Thanks!

young-blood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2015, 03:18 PM   #2
RoccoRacer
2001 WJ 

The biggest safety issue with trucks is covering the tires. Fenders have to cover the whole width of the tire tread and you need mud flaps if the fenders leave more than half of the vertical height uncovered. Mud flaps must be as wide as the tires. Mud flaps are required on any vehicle modified from original OEM specifications. This includes larger tires or any alterations to the frame or suspension. 41-6a-1633 UCA. Any tire size that was available as an option from the manufacturer is accepted as OEM equipment. Spacers are a fail.

Here's a link to the 2008 inspection manual, all answers above came from document p.18
http://digitallibrary.utah.gov/awweb...e=advs&menu=on
RoccoRacer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2015, 04:11 PM   #3
young-blood
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks! From your link I totally get that I need mud flaps on the rear and full coverage fenders all around. I already knew the spacers had to go, that is spelled out in no uncertain terms. Still not clear on whether I need mud flaps on the front wheels, though it seems like I don't.
Unread 06-29-2015, 10:08 PM   #4
team1k
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by young-blood
Thanks! From your link I totally get that I need mud flaps on the rear and full coverage fenders all around. I already knew the spacers had to go, that is spelled out in no uncertain terms. Still not clear on whether I need mud flaps on the front wheels, though it seems like I don't.
Have never seen anyone cited or failed inspection for no front flaps. You should be ok
"YJ's are for poor people" - Brian
team1k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2015, 11:29 AM   #5
youngjeepr
1988 YJ Wrangler 

You don't need front flaps in Davis county.

As for the motor swap it will depend who you talk to but from the guys I've talked to it has to have all the factory emission equipment that your jeep came with and must pass emissions for your jeeps model year. I have also been told that the number of cylinders must match a factory option.. So for a TJ a 4 or 6cyl. But at the same time I know of 5 or 6 guys running v8s in TJs,JKs, and YJs.
[COLOR="Red"][/COLOR][SIZE="5"][/SIZE]88 YJ- 4.7l stroker, AW4, SOA, 8.8, hp D30 powertrax no slip,3" front stretch with waggy springs, stock replacement springs in the rear, 35/12.5 r15 goodyear kevlars

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f319/"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Red"][CENTER][B]Utah Jeep Crew[/B][/CENTER][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/youngjeeprs-build-take-2-a-2012985/"][COLOR="Red"][U][B][CENTER][SIZE="4"]Build Thread[/SIZE][/CENTER][/B][/U][/COLOR][/URL]
youngjeepr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2015, 10:44 AM   #6
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

Welcome to Davis County. There are a few of us up here. Most of the wheeling activity is about 60-90 minutes south (American Fork Canyon is the popular area), depending on what city you're moving to. I'm on the very north end.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2015, 09:56 PM   #7
young-blood
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godholio View Post
Welcome to Davis County.
Thanks! We found a house in Bountiful that backs up to the National Forest. Don't close until the end of the month though. Looking forward to getting out there. Texas is pretty bad for wheeling, a few parks, some desert trails, some messing around on friend's ranches, nothing like I've seen in Utah.
Unread 07-01-2015, 09:59 PM   #8
young-blood
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngjeepr View Post
As for the motor swap it will depend who you talk to but from the guys I've talked to it has to have all the factory emission equipment that your jeep came with and must pass emissions for your jeeps model year. .
Given it is a diesel swap that worries me. The stock evap canister can't be used. Maybe I can just leave it and plug the lines.
Unread 07-01-2015, 10:43 PM   #9
youngjeepr
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by young-blood
Given it is a diesel swap that worries me. The stock evap canister can't be used. Maybe I can just leave it and plug the lines.
I would call the DMV and ask. They will more than likely just tell you to call the EPA and ask them but it's worth a try.
[COLOR="Red"][/COLOR][SIZE="5"][/SIZE]88 YJ- 4.7l stroker, AW4, SOA, 8.8, hp D30 powertrax no slip,3" front stretch with waggy springs, stock replacement springs in the rear, 35/12.5 r15 goodyear kevlars

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f319/"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Red"][CENTER][B]Utah Jeep Crew[/B][/CENTER][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/youngjeeprs-build-take-2-a-2012985/"][COLOR="Red"][U][B][CENTER][SIZE="4"]Build Thread[/SIZE][/CENTER][/B][/U][/COLOR][/URL]
youngjeepr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2015, 08:46 AM   #10
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I sent you a pm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.