Utah ham radio question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Utah Jeep Forum > Utah ham radio question

Save on Selected Dynomax Exhaust Systems!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and

Unread 01-05-2015, 03:28 PM   #1
hewhosculpts
2014 KL Cherokee 

Utah ham radio question

I'm thinking about getting a technical class licsense but it all hinges on how useful a portable UHF/VHF rig would be on the trails in the Utah National Parks, National Monuments, etc. I know there are a certain number of repeates out there but how useable are they in practice? I took the trail to Panorama Point in the Maze District this summer and saw nobody else on the trail all day. Would I have been able to hit a repeater from there for instance? Supposing I'd gone down the Flint Trail would I have reception there?

hewhosculpts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2015, 08:44 AM   #2
amp713
Registered Whiskey Killer

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Let me find a post from a utah offroad forum that i was using for a bit... More radio info on there than i even understand!!

SourMash The YJ

F12 MOAB!
amp713 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2015, 08:51 AM   #3
amp713
Registered Whiskey Killer

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I cant find my old post. but if you go to RME4x4.com there are a few guys there that are scary educated about radios and their use and regulations.

SourMash The YJ

F12 MOAB!
amp713 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2015, 12:55 PM   #4
Olsen
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Here is a Utah repeater list: http://utahvhfs.org/rptr.html
I wheel with both CB and my 2 meter and repeaters are VERY usable. You can get on 'linked' repeaters and reach out to other states also. Some repeaters allow you to make phone calls on your device as well though the majority of those are 'locked' for obvious reasons unless you are a member of the hosting 'club'. (cost, maintenance, et-al)
Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.