Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

utah flare laws...

5K views 41 replies 13 participants last post by  pkrfctr 
#1 ·
how much is a ticket for no flares/ not enough flare coverage? I plan on not running any flares for a couple months probably, at least in the front (tube style probably)... just curious what I might have to pay if I get a ticket, and is it a moving violation, or just a fix it ticket? :cheers2:

#2 ·
Well both to be technical but there usually a secondary offense if you were pulled over for speeding or what not. I have personally have never cared about them when I'm doing a inspection. I tell you that you should but I'm " advising " them lol

#3 ·
So I can be pulled over just for flares and be ticketed? (will it add points to my record?) If the ticket is over $100 or it adds points I'll just buy flares... If it's around or under $100 I'll run no flares til I can afford nice highlines

#9 ·
lol so they can pull me for no flaps... but not for no flares? I'm just gonna say screw it and run without em for now. I have a whole 2 inches of coverage with my trimmed tj flares, and haven't had an issue yet, and on my WJ half the tire stuck out, and I never got hassled, I can't imagine no flares will be much worse, and if they are, I'll slap the stock flares on and get it passed off (or do I not even need to do that, or just pay the citation? not sure how it works..)

#12 ·
Lol it can't be the only reason for them to pull you over its usually a secondary offense or the cop is a dick because they didn't get any last night. It's a flawed law either way you look at it

#13 ·
They can, and likely will, pull you over for no flares. I was pulled over for not having big enough mud flaps. The ticket will be around $100, but will likely be a fix it ticket. If the cop wants to be a jerk, the fix it tickets will be plentiful as he looks for more issues.

My personal opinion is to run flares and avoid the extra attention.

#17 ·

My personal opinion is to run flares and avoid the extra attention.
My wife uses my XJ as her dd and works in wvc where they are flare and flap nazi's. So we put flares and flaps on it so it hasn't had any attention from Leo's since....
The WJ is my wifes DD, and she doesn't want to deal with being pulled over. Also, I try to avoid being the one who tosses a rock at the windshield behind me.

#14 ·
Moab_cj5 said:
They can, and likely will, pull you over for no flares. I was pulled over for not having big enough mud flaps. The ticket will be around $100, but will likely be a fix it ticket. If the cop wants to be a jerk, the fix it tickets will be plentiful as he looks for more issues. My personal opinion is to run flares and avoid the extra attention.
My wife uses my XJ as her dd and works in wvc where they are flare and flap nazi's. So we put flares and flaps on it so it hasn't had any attention from Leo's since. My YJ has TJ flares and no flaps but I have noticed when cops see me they usually change lanes and follow me for a bit. It's only time before they light up the cherries

#16 ·
I live in orem and mostly drive around there... have a good 4 inches of tire sticking out even with my flares, haven't had an issue... I think I'll get rear flares and go with tube style fronts and see what happens.. I'd need those goofy 6 or 7 wide flares to cover my tires completely, and I'm only on 4 of backspace with a 12.5 tire... I see tons of Jeeps and trucks without full coverage rolling around here and know a few people who haven't had an issue. So ill at least get stock size rears I suppose

#23 ·
Lots of inaccurate information in this thread. I was a cop for a while so my info isn't anecdotal.

Flares are absolutely required. The state code says the tire has to be covered to the edge of the tire. If you buy oversize tires and/or run wheel spacers that push your tire out past the edge of the body (truck) or existing flare (wrangler) you are in violation and can be stopped and cited. Its an equipment violation and a few years ago those were good for a $50 fine.

Flaps area also required *IF* the vehicle has changed in height. This change can be via taller tires or a lift being installed. The flap is required to cover the tires full width and the tire needs to be covered from the top of the tire to the axle. This is also an equipment violation and is good for $50.

From the state traffic code, emphasis added for clarity.

A few other things....

Fix it tickets are up to the discretion of the officer. There is nothing to say he has to make an equipment violation a fix it ticket. If your a dick the chances this will happen drop quick

Equipment violations don't hurt your license or insurance. From a technical standpoint your rig *could* be impounded if it was deemed unsafe to drive or you could be required to be re-inspected if you were obviously not legal and had gotten your inspection 2 days earlier. This happens very rarely and is only in extreme conditions.

Moving violations are what messes with your insurance and add points on your license. Speeding, following too close, improper turns, etc. A patrol cop will usually stop you for one of these and tack on equipment tickets. A traffic cop or motorcycle cop will stop you for any violation whether it be equipment or moving.

Equipment and moving violations are considered primary offenses. This means that a cop can stop you for them and straight up write a ticket for just one of them. Cracked windshields or not wearing your seatbelt (for 18 years +) are examples of secondary violations. They can't be the sole cause of the stop but certainly can be added to a ticket if you are stopped for a moving or equipment violation.

Here is the state fine schedule.
Moving Violation Fine = starts at $120
Non Moving Violation Fine = starts at $50

These fines are mandated by state code and each city may add additional fees (think a couple bucks) to recoup administrative costs into the actual fine you pay.

#24 ·
That was a huge wall of text.... an informed public is a good public. If there are questions or you want clarification ask and I'll try to remember to peak back and answer what I can.

For clarity sake, I was a cop but am not longer playing that game. Got tired of dealing with the public, now I play with computers for a paycheck.

#25 ·
I never said they weren't required I'm just not that guy that said oh you need to theses durp durp lol I would let lack of extended flares and flaps pass before a pitman arm that's about to fall off

#26 ·
It wasn't my intention to call anyone out. You know I love you Brady. ;)

What I was hoping to do is provide information based on state code rather than personal experience or he said/she said. This is why I provided the links and quotes.

#29 ·
Good to know, my jeep will be covered completely as far as rear flares and flaps go, front will probably be pretty exposed (tube fenders). But my jeep is only on 3 inches of lift with soon to be 35's. So worst case scenario, I get a $50 ticket for front flares, and I can be pulled over for nothing but front flares. But I won't be like, arrested or get my jeep impounded for front flares ;) lol.

#36 ·
I drive nice and slow in the jeep, 3.07s and 33's will do that to ya :D soon to be 4.10s and 35's but still, TJ's are slow. To be honest, I drive around cedar hills, and eagle mountain, and that's about 90% of my driving because I work in af and live pretty much 5 minutes from my work. So I
Doubt I'll get hassled. I honestly might not even run flaps. I think I've seen maybe 2 jeeps and lifted trucks around here with flaps lol

#37 ·
GODMODEX said:
I drive nice and slow in the jeep, 3.07s and 33's will do that to ya :D soon to be 4.10s and 35's but still, TJ's are slow. To be honest, I drive around cedar hills, and eagle mountain, and that's about 90% of my driving because I work in af and live pretty much 5 minutes from my work. So I Doubt I'll get hassled. I honestly might not even run flaps. I think I've seen maybe 2 jeeps and lifted trucks around here with flaps lol
I'm running 3.07's and 35's. I know slow my top speed is 70 lol. Spring can not come soon enough to regear

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.