Utah Dub Club.. I need help. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Utah Jeep Forum > Utah Dub Club.. I need help.

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Reply
Unread 12-04-2012, 06:32 PM   #16
PowderPusher
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: springfield, pa
Posts: 413
i had a wobble at 35-45mph until i switched my front and rear tires. the wobble is almost completely gone. there are only a few on ramps that it will do it a little for maybe a second. i was told that mtr's wear kind of funny when they are at 30psi or more.

PowderPusher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2012, 01:13 PM   #17
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur
 
Tom95YJ's Avatar
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 8,688
Your issue is probably the tires. I kept getting dw with my Xj I tried rotating which helped and my tires would balance out still had dw I bought new tires and the issue went away

Sent from iPhoneusing JeepForum
__________________
'89 YJ The Smurf Build Thread
'99 XJ Black Betty Build Thread
Tom95YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2012, 05:39 PM   #18
BLACK04WJ
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: 115 Miles from MOAB!, Utah
Posts: 2,557
thanks for the responses everyone! I dont have a whole lot of time to work on it because of school and work but its my #1 priority!
today i adjusted my caster, changed steering stabilizer (old one was new but i checked it and it was shot somehow) with a moog super trail boss! right now the jeep is at a local shop getting toe-in set to IRO specs. also i changed the trackbar bushings even though the old ones looked good still.
__________________
06 LJ Rubi / 97 TJ / 04 WJ
Oct '12 GCOTM
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/unlimited-lj-2212193/
BLACK04WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2012, 06:38 PM   #19
team1k
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lehi
Posts: 2,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK04WJ
thanks for the responses everyone! I dont have a whole lot of time to work on it because of school and work but its my #1 priority!
today i adjusted my caster, changed steering stabilizer (old one was new but i checked it and it was shot somehow) with a moog super trail boss! right now the jeep is at a local shop getting toe-in set to IRO specs. also i changed the trackbar bushings even though the old ones looked good still.
Sweet! Are you driving it up here tomorrow?
__________________
It was a Jeep thing, but all that stuff broke
92 Jeep YJ Wrangler
UJC
"YJ's are for poor people" - Brian
team1k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2012, 06:46 PM   #20
BLACK04WJ
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: 115 Miles from MOAB!, Utah
Posts: 2,557
well I'm coming in Sunday now.. but it depends on how the test test drive goes tomorrow if not, I will still be in a WJ.. just a smaller one my wife's 2004 Laredo on a 2" lift.
__________________
06 LJ Rubi / 97 TJ / 04 WJ
Oct '12 GCOTM
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/unlimited-lj-2212193/
BLACK04WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2012, 07:03 PM   #21
team1k
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lehi
Posts: 2,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK04WJ View Post
well I'm coming in Sunday now.. but it depends on how the test test drive goes tomorrow if not, I will still be in a WJ.. just a smaller one my wife's 2004 Laredo on a 2" lift.
Is it silver? If it is i for sure want to see it because thats what my wife has, although its the "Special Edition" not Laredo. Close enough. What size tires have you fitted with the 2" lift?
__________________
It was a Jeep thing, but all that stuff broke
92 Jeep YJ Wrangler
UJC
"YJ's are for poor people" - Brian
team1k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2012, 08:02 PM   #22
BLACK04WJ
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: 115 Miles from MOAB!, Utah
Posts: 2,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by team1k View Post
Is it silver? If it is i for sure want to see it because thats what my wife has, although its the "Special Edition" not Laredo. Close enough. What size tires have you fitted with the 2" lift?
no, hers is the same color as clgielin's WJ. but mine is silver
i havent gone up in tire size since its a street queen..for now. I think it looks good how it is set up
__________________
06 LJ Rubi / 97 TJ / 04 WJ
Oct '12 GCOTM
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/unlimited-lj-2212193/
BLACK04WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2012, 01:21 AM   #23
BLACK04WJ
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: 115 Miles from MOAB!, Utah
Posts: 2,557
Well, I threw my wife's tires on the WJ and drove around.. no shake at all!! got going about 90 mph and still nothing.

I'm still not 100% sure my tires/wheels are bad per se. I'm thinking its just the weight of them is causing a slight "play" with the steering. I tightened the steering box slightly and it was a pretty big improvement. I also noticed that the nut holding my pitman arm has fluid on it. is there a seal that could have gone bad in the lower end of the box? I'm thinking since my jeep has "wobbled" so many times that it has cause the "play" in the box. I'm going to re-tighten the box a little more tomorrow and report back.

I know over tightening the box is not good.. I'm not even turning it 1/4 turn between test drives

Also.. here is what a WJ with 6.5" of lift looks like with stock wheels and tires
image-1584312247.jpg  
__________________
06 LJ Rubi / 97 TJ / 04 WJ
Oct '12 GCOTM
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/unlimited-lj-2212193/
BLACK04WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2012, 01:28 AM   #24
team1k
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lehi
Posts: 2,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK04WJ
Well, I threw my wife's tires on the WJ and drove around.. no shake at all!! got going about 90 mph and still nothing.

I'm still not 100% sure my tires/wheels are bad per se. I'm thinking its just the weight of them is causing a slight "play" with the steering. I tightened the steering box slightly and it was a pretty big improvement. I also noticed that the nut holding my pitman arm has fluid on it. is there a seal that could have gone bad in the lower end of the box? I'm thinking since my jeep has "wobbled" so many times that it has cause the "play" in the box. I'm going to re-tighten the box a little more tomorrow and report back.

I know over tightening the box is not good.. I'm not even turning it 1/4 turn between test drives

Also.. here is what a WJ with 6.5" of lift looks like with stock wheels and tires
There is a seal in the box on that shaft that could have failed. I would check the lines and fittings going into the box though as usually for me that was leaking and not the box.
__________________
It was a Jeep thing, but all that stuff broke
92 Jeep YJ Wrangler
UJC
"YJ's are for poor people" - Brian
team1k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2012, 01:35 AM   #25
85IrocZ-28
Registered User
1999 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Davis County Utah, UT
Posts: 3,933
I have heard of "tightening" the steering box before, do you have any more details you can share? I have some play in my steering, and it is not from a tie rod or anything else external that I can see.

And...those tires look awesome with the front flares
Seriously though, it is good to hear you are tracking down the issues.
__________________
*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
85IrocZ-28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2012, 01:35 AM   #26
BLACK04WJ
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: 115 Miles from MOAB!, Utah
Posts: 2,557
sounds good, ill check that as well. I checked the local parts store just to see how much a new box would be and it was like $250 but $112 was a core charge.. hope the box doesn't need replaced
__________________
06 LJ Rubi / 97 TJ / 04 WJ
Oct '12 GCOTM
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/unlimited-lj-2212193/
BLACK04WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2012, 01:40 AM   #27
BLACK04WJ
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: 115 Miles from MOAB!, Utah
Posts: 2,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85IrocZ-28
I have heard of "tightening" the steering box before, do you have any more details you can share? I have some play in my steering, and it is not from a tie rod or anything else external that I can see.

And...those tires look awesome with the front flares
Seriously though, it is good to hear you are tracking down the issues.
if you look at the top of the steering box, it will be easy to see how it works.
there is a nut on top of your steering box (16mm IIRC) that you back off and then use an Alan wrench(cant remember what size) to tighten the bolt inside the nut. DO NOT over tighten.. you will ruin your box if it is too tight.

IIRC
Will, your stock air box might be in the way to easily access this.. but I could be wrong. your air box is different than mine.
__________________
06 LJ Rubi / 97 TJ / 04 WJ
Oct '12 GCOTM
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/unlimited-lj-2212193/
BLACK04WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2012, 02:22 AM   #28
team1k
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lehi
Posts: 2,478
Be careful with that screw. What it does is set the backlash inside the box. Generally it shouldn't be touched just like you never change your differential backlash after its set properly.

That being said lots of people tinker with it and get varied results. Some good some very bad. Just make sure to mark where it was when you started.
__________________
It was a Jeep thing, but all that stuff broke
92 Jeep YJ Wrangler
UJC
"YJ's are for poor people" - Brian
team1k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2012, 02:31 AM   #29
BLACK04WJ
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: 115 Miles from MOAB!, Utah
Posts: 2,557
I have heard that too but most cases on the WJ I have read have good results as long as they only tighten a little bit. (as needed)
also, the screw doesn't stick out.. so there is no way to mark it. just have to remember how far you have turned it.
__________________
06 LJ Rubi / 97 TJ / 04 WJ
Oct '12 GCOTM
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/unlimited-lj-2212193/
BLACK04WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.