Tow rig build thread - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Utah Jeep Forum > Tow rig build thread

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 01-13-2012, 06:20 PM   #16
Boreal
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Little update...

Truck is running great at the moment. I pulled out both bench seats and power-washed them. Nasty! I scrubbed the heck out of the floor too. Nasty! I'd hit a spot on the floor with water and realize, "Oh, that was vomit. Oh, that was urine." etc. Good times. However it now looks like new inside and I no longer throw up a little in my mouth when I climb in.

Truck is at the dealership in town now. They are doing rear brakes (required for inspection) and they swapped out the 2 front tires to some new ones I had. They checked the front end over pretty thoroughly and couldn't find any issues. The goofy tire wear was mostly likely caused by tires being under-inflated or out of balance. I'm leaning toward out of balance because you have to go to a big rig shop (generally speaking) to get tires of this size balanced. They can't do it at the dealership here in town, so as soon as it's roadworthy I'll need to take it somewhere to have it done.

I ordered an Edge Insight CTS today along with the exhaust gas temp probe. That will give me some data that will help diagnose anything wrong going on in the engine department. I've got other mods planned for the near future, so stay tuned!

Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2012, 08:46 PM   #17
96PurpleZJ
1996 ZJ 

Ford techs love the 6.0.... Means something lol. My buddy worked on more 6.0's than anything. I would get rid of the motor. Truck looks nice. Just sell the motor and swap you're Cummins into it like you originally planned.
Unread 01-13-2012, 10:49 PM   #18
311LJ
311Popo

2004 LJ Wrangler 

dude... but the deal he got... killer even with the 6.0...

glad its clean and running man!
07 WK Overland, Hemi, Chrome bug deflector
[SOLD] Jimmer 01 WJ *2009 GCOTY* WJ Build Thread
*UTAH JEEPCREW #01*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffjeeper View Post
I ♡ John
311LJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2012, 11:06 PM   #19
Tuffjeeper
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96PurpleZJ
Ford techs love the 6.0.... Means something lol. My buddy worked on more 6.0's than anything. I would get rid of the motor. Truck looks nice. Just sell the motor and swap you're Cummins into it like you originally planned.
Why spend the $$ for the swap when you have a running truck? Spend those $$ on the Jeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrbear View Post
Destroyed it somehow..... It went wobble wobble wobble boom
Tuffjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2012, 06:48 AM   #20
96PurpleZJ
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffjeeper

Why spend the $$ for the swap when you have a running truck? Spend those $$ on the Jeep.
Cause he will then be dumping money into the 6.0 just to keep it on the road. Notice the egr stopped the mighty power stroke? Now imagine that happening every 6 - 14 months? Its a very common issue.
Unread 01-14-2012, 07:52 AM   #21
Tuffjeeper
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96PurpleZJ

Cause he will then be dumping money into the 6.0 just to keep it on the road. Notice the egr stopped the mighty power stroke? Now imagine that happening every 6 - 14 months? Its a very common issue.
I'm sure some aftermarket company has a fix for it. Id rather change an egr valve yearly than do a cummins swap.

Swapping an 8.8 over isn't fun, and I'm betting a Cummins swap would even be more of a pain... If I wanted a cummins motor, I'd just buy a Dodge.

A lot less hassle IMHO.

Quote:
Unread 01-14-2012, 08:38 AM   #22
mgramann
1998 XJ Cherokee 

VW TDI's are known for EGR issues as well. With the ULSD standards kicking in, and a not smokey tune, I suspect there will be fewer instances of clogged egrs.
mgramann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2012, 10:12 AM   #23
Jdjeeper
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgramann View Post
VW TDI's are known for EGR issues as well. With the ULSD standards kicking in, and a not smokey tune, I suspect there will be fewer instances of clogged egrs.
same with john deere, they now have egrs in just about every engine they put out now and it is a rare occurance that one will go down, usually is the exhaust temp sensor, but i rarely have to clean let alone replace an egr and it looks the exact same as the one boreal pulled out of his engine.
UJC #109
Jdjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2012, 10:27 AM   #24
Boreal
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

No emissions in my county, so $135 for a delete kit and 4 -6 hours of labor and my EGR issues will be no more

Of course that's only the tip of the iceberg I will probably replace the oil cooler while I'm in there, then flush and change out the crap Ford Gold coolant that is the root of most of the problems. Does it suck that I have to go through and do all this maintenance because of Ford's poor design? You betcha. But once those issues are resolved it should be a very stout truck for a very long time.
Unread 01-14-2012, 11:28 AM   #25
Tuffjeeper
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Boreal, what did you end up doing with your 8.8?

Quote:
Unread 01-14-2012, 11:29 AM   #26
Boreal
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Still on the fence with that one. Your experience scared me

Sometimes I think I should just do a S35 and call it good. I really don't plan on going any bigger that 35's. But how many times have we heard that before....
Unread 01-21-2012, 08:23 PM   #27
Boreal
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Copied from another forum. I'm lazy. Sue me.

Quote:
Some of the items that I ordered came the other day, so I got to mess around with the truck a little today I ordered the coolant filter from Sinister and was ready to toss that on, but I read through some of the earlier posts in this thread and decided I better do a little testing to check the status of the head gaskets. I figured if they were bad, that was going to make the Fummins build that more tempting, and make the Sinister filter unnecessary. So tracked down what I needed...

Hooked it up in about 2 minutes.

If you'll look closely at the degas bottle, it's running low and it seems to contain the craptastic coolant.

This brings me to my first question... should I top off with just run of the mill green coolant 50/50 mix until I do a flush?

Now, I kind of mis-read some of the other threads on the coolant pressure test. I thought the truck needed to be up to operating temperature before giving it the onion, so I cruised for ~15 minutes @ 65mph and it basically camped at 6psi.

After I was sure it was good and warm, I found the steepest grade I could and went from a dead stop to full throttle. It peaked at ~11psi, but dropped just a hair before I could get my phone out to take a pic.

I didn't have easy access to a trailer to really work it, but I thought between the highway cruising and WOT I would at least get an idea of head gasket health. I'm HOPING the pressures indicate HGs are ok? Perhaps the slow increase in pressure is suggesting the oil/EGR coolers might be on their way out?

Anyway, I decided to go ahead with the Sinister install.

It went quick and easy. Buttoned everything up then took one last poser shot with my truck parked next to his younger brother ('09 F450) that I get to drive too

Going through this process brought up a couple of questions:

1) As mentioned above, not sure what kind of coolant I have, but pretty sure it's not the good stuff. And it's low. Can I top off with 50/50 of regular green stuff until I do a flush?

2) When should I flush? I'd like to do it within the next month or so, but many people have said you should run your coolant filter for 5 - 7k miles before flushing. As little as I drive this thing, it could literally be 2 YEARS before I travel that distance. Is there really any reason to wait?

3) I'm assuming slow coolant pressure climb to 11psi WOT means my system is either A-OK, or the EGR is on the way out. Is that a fair assumption to make? I realize that what I really need to firm up the diagnosis is a way to monitor ECT/EOT. Edge CTS is on its way, but not here yet, so all I can do is speculate based on pressure. I guess I'm just wondering if you guys would agree with the speculation.

Thanks for the input.

P.S. - Other work done this week done at the dealership include: Rear brakes, driver headlight trim, new tires up front but no balancing (tires too big for their machine ), engine bay chemical wash, and safety inspection. I had them check the front end to see what was causing the nasty cupping on the old tires. They said everything looked fine, so they are assuming the previous owner either didn't maintain correct pressure, or he didn't go to the "trouble" of balancing those tires either. Front end is good to go
Unread 01-22-2012, 10:11 AM   #28
00harpdawg

Honestly the only reason people have head gasket issues is when your egr cooler blows it puts antifreeze into your cylinders which blow the head gasket I have a ford 6.0 and I honestly love it. I did the egr delete and it was the best thing I've done to it. More power and cooler exhaust and coolest temps. When you do the egr delete make sure you do the oil cooler at the same time. Best thing to do is buy the kit with the delete, all your gaskets, oil cooler, and the new up pipe cheapest I found is about 500 for everything. Get the kit that also leaves the egr valve in the hole and you won't have a check engine light on all the time and it will still pass emissions lol. As for the coolent do not mix the green with it. It will start to gel up and clog up the engine and water pump. If you have any other questions let me know I've been working on them for awhile now and they are a great motor with the right mods
00harpdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2012, 11:17 AM   #29
cbandit
1997 TJ Wrangler 

A 8.8 swap like justins wouldn't be bad had he not tried to skip adjustable upper control arms and such. . . That being said I would never dump money on a d35. A d44 would be a easy swap and very little strength loss, do the super 44 and you gain strength.
On the 6.0 ive heard of everyone I know that has one having expensive issue s over 2 grand. I'm a ford guy but won't buy a 6.0. The new motor in fords was designed by cummins so it should be sweet. I would also swap the motor for the cummins or a 7.3(loss in power though) at least a seat of pants loss.
Id keep the truck and fix it up, a king ranch would make seating go down to 4 as they have 4 captains chairs instead of benches. I like the king ranch but it defeats the purpose for the new rig correct? Just my 2 cents, nice pickup for the price (specially with some elbow grease and tlc).
cbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2012, 11:53 AM   #30
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

An oddball question for you Andy. What are you going to be doing with the boxes if you swap out to a bed?
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.