TOMatt and Chris - Cutting WJ fenders - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Utah Jeep Forum > TOMatt and Chris - Cutting WJ fenders

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBlack Friday SALE! Up to 20% off at Diode Dynamics!

Unread 02-22-2011, 01:04 AM   #1
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

TOMatt and Chris - Cutting WJ fenders

This is pretty big for a PM, so I will just post it here. I will just PM both of you the address and tell you to take a peek at this thread. I will edit it if I think of anything else you should bring.

K-Saturday it is. I will be at the shop at 8:30 AM and ready to go. I looks like I will need to roll at 3:30 or 4:00 as we are meeting up with some friends.

You might want to read my thread on the iceland install to see how I cut my fenders and seamed them together:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...ll-wj-1072703/

There are two ways to do this,:
1-cut and separate the inner and outer panels, cut out the inner panel, fold the outer panel over piece by piece and weld the tabs down, then silicone the whole thing
2-Cut both the inner and outer panels out of the way, fill with body panel adhesive, and your done.

I like method 2 because the line is cleaner, you don't have to fold the tabs over by hand and weld them all down. If you don't want to do paint work, this method is also better.
You will see both methods in the thread I posted above.

My bro has some of his tools there (misc stuff, mig welder, die grinder, etc).

Here are some things you might want to bring:
Tape to lay down your cut lines
Eye protection
Spray paint or undercarriage coating to cover bare metal

Black Silicone (I will have a gun on Sat. I buy this stuff from home depot for just a few bucks)

Body Panel adhesive (I highly suggest this method. It gives a cleaner look IMO) The bad thing is that it is EXPENSIVE, like $40-$50 per tube. If you are careful, you could get away with using one tube for both sides. You would also need a dual applicator gun as I don't have one. Or you can do what I did: I mixed it in a plastic cup with a plastic knife, applied it with the knife, and smeared it with rubber gloves. It dries VERY fast, so it would take two people working on it at once to make sure that you get the job done before it hardens. 3M, SEM, and others make this product.

I will have a die grinder, a jig saw with metal blades, and an air saw. I am out of air saw blades though. If you want to cut with this thing, just bring some blades with you (harbor freight)

I wish I had metal shears...If you have one, bring it:

When you cut the rear fenders, it will expose a section and create hole that is about 1 inch wide and 4-5 inches long. Bring a small peice of sheet metal (I will see if I have anything) to silicone in place.

Door edge molding:

You will want enough to at least cover curved section seen in that pic. Since neither of you are running flares, You may just want to continue this all the way across the fender. It hides the cut edge imperfections. If you want to fold and weld the outer panel though, you won't be able to run this seal. It only works when the panels are separated and you can slip it over the outer edge.

Lastly, I would find some time this week to remove your rear interior panels. It will take about 30 minutes per side to remove them. You will want access to the interior if you are using body panel adhesive, and you will want access to the interior to put out any fires if you are using the welding method. It might be a good idea to remove them beforehand.

If I think of anything else, I will let you guys know. Cutting is the easy part, seaming it back together for strength is the time consuming part. Let me know what method you are thinking of using: 1-cut/fold/weld or 2-cut and glue.

*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
85IrocZ-28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2011, 01:30 AM   #2
801DubJay
2000 WJ 

Will, I got your message. You've been absolutely great! I would like to do method 2, as recommended in your Iceland flare thread. I'll see you Sat @ 0830, ready to rock!
Unread 02-22-2011, 06:46 AM   #3
clgielin
2003 WJ 

Will, thanks for putting this together. I will go with method 2 also. See you at 8:30 sharp!

2003 WJ 4.7L
Build Thread Here: 2003 WJ
Michigan Tech Jeepers #4
Utah JeepCrew #16
clgielin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2011, 10:31 AM   #4
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

Perfect! see you both on Saturday morning. Matt has my cell already, I will send another PM to you Chris with my cell.
*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
Unread 02-22-2011, 01:21 PM   #5
dkpulsford

WJ fender cutting party?? nice

88 MJ
01 TJ
dkpulsford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2011, 02:22 PM   #6
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

If you want to come hang out and watch/participate, let me know and I will PM you the address.

Unread 02-22-2011, 03:45 PM   #7
dkpulsford

i think ill be just a spectator for this round, since i dont need to trim just yet.

88 MJ
01 TJ
dkpulsford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2011, 04:22 PM   #8
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

PM sent with the address if you want to stop by.

Unread 02-23-2011, 09:23 PM   #9
clgielin
2003 WJ 

Will - do you know anywhere they stock the 3M8115 in the Ogden/Layton area? If not, I'll have to order it for Friday delivery.

2003 WJ 4.7L
Michigan Tech Jeepers #4
Utah JeepCrew #16
Unread 02-23-2011, 11:42 PM   #10
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

SEM, 3M, and others all make it.

I would check Napa, and autobody supply stores. I usually get it from superior auto in salt lake. I believe that KC Auto Paint also stocks it.

Google listed a these in Ogden: Auto Body Supply, Ogden Auto Paint and glass, and some others. I haven't ever used them, but they likely carry the same products.

Unread 02-24-2011, 09:57 AM   #11
90lsturbo
scratches add character..

1984 CJ7 

interesting i need to do some light trimming on mine for the 33's to not rub on the front and to add more clearance should i have to stuff the **** out of them
1984 cj7- new rig and no rust lol

#89 UJC
"Real men dont let their friends drive prius's"
90lsturbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2011, 04:21 PM   #12
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

Fronts are much easier.

Chris, were you able to find body panel adhesive anywhere?

Unread 02-24-2011, 05:33 PM   #13
801DubJay
2000 WJ 

He did! He text me earlier and said Napa should have it shipped to him this afternoon
Unread 02-24-2011, 08:01 PM   #14
clgielin
2003 WJ 

This stuff is made of gold.

2003 WJ 4.7L
Michigan Tech Jeepers #4
Utah JeepCrew #16
Unread 02-24-2011, 09:44 PM   #15
801DubJay
2000 WJ 

I think gold is cheaper!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.