Taking parents west to Moab and Ouray...suggestions needed - JeepForum.com

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 12-18-2013, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Uncle0
Registered User
2014 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Savannah
Posts: 6
Taking parents west to Moab and Ouray...suggestions needed

for the past few years my brother and i have been taking the parents on trips from Hong Kong, Ireland, and trips around the Southeastern part of the US. This year we want to take them out west to Moab, UT and Ouray, CO. My father has always wanted to take a road trip like this and now that he is 67 i think its past due. Most trips that we have taken have been by plane so he has never felt part of the adventure. only so much you can see 30K in the air.

with all of that said, i would like some input and suggestions on what to see and trails to take. we are planning to start out from Tuscumbia, AL March 14th and return March 22nd or 23rd. i know long drive in such a short time. only week everyone is free from work. we will be traveling in a 2012 JKU Sahara and 2014 JKU Rubicon X. both are stock so no major rock crawling. the plan is to have family time along with seeing nature and all the wonders that both of these locations offer. want to drive some jeep trails. thats why we have them. thanks in advance.

rough schedule: (will change several times)
Mar 14th: start journey from Alabama in the early AM. looking to make it to around Topeka, KS.
Mar 15th: hit the road again. goal is Denver, CO. (parents like to stop and look A LOT)
Mar 16th: arrive in Moab,UT. hitting the sights and trails
Mar 17th: hitting the sights and trails
Mar 18th: hitting the sights and trails
Mar 19th: hitting the sights and trails
Mar 20th: leave Moab,UT or Ouray, CO and drive to somewhere around Amarillo,TX
Mar 21st: on the road to Little Rock,AK
Mar 22nd: head east and back in sweet home Alabama
Mar 23rd: just in case we want an extra day

Ouray will need to fit in the sights and trail days. my understanding that Ouray is not far from Moab. things that we can do will depend on weather.


2014 Wrangler Unlimited || Rubicon X || The Viking Project || just starting
Uncle0 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 12-18-2013, 01:39 PM
MyJKU14
Registered User
2014 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Denver
Posts: 404
Sounds like fun! Ouray is about 3 hours south/east of Moab and Ouray is about 5 1/2 hours from Denver. Enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~
'14 JKU
'05 LJ Rubicon (husband's)

Colorado Jeep Club #281

Past Jeeps: '02 WJ Overland, '02 WJ Limited, '08 KK Sport
MyJKU14 is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 12-19-2013, 07:00 AM
SnoBear
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Where ever we're parked
Posts: 28
Don't think you'll find any "Trails" open in Ouray that time of year. Snow and all that. If you are unfamiliar with Moab, I recommend the Charles Wells book at Funtreks.com to get you started. I would order that now so you can read and drool to prepare for the trip ...
SnoBear is offline  
post #4 of 11 Old 12-19-2013, 11:23 AM
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 2,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoBear View Post
Don't think you'll find any "Trails" open in Ouray that time of year. Snow and all that.
Yes, in March most of the trails in CO are still very much snowed in. Many do not open completely until June/July depending on the snow that falls that winter.
COLOUXJ is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 12-19-2013, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Uncle0
Registered User
2014 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Savannah
Posts: 6
i figured but at least can drive the main roads and see all the landscapes. just means ill have more time in Moab. thanks for the input

2014 Wrangler Unlimited || Rubicon X || The Viking Project || just starting
Uncle0 is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 12-20-2013, 01:03 PM
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur
 
Tom95YJ's Avatar
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 9,427
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle0
i figured but at least can drive the main roads and see all the landscapes. just means ill have more time in Moab. thanks for the input
I also agree get the Charles wells book.
Tower arch trail, eye of whale trail are nice easy trails. Run eye I whale and head towards tower arch. Hells revenge and fins and things are also good trails

'89 YJ The Smurf Build Thread
'99 XJ Black Betty Build Thread
Tom95YJ is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 01-09-2014, 02:13 PM
polygamists
Registered User
1984 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Utah
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle0 View Post
for the past few years my brother and i have been taking the parents on trips from Hong Kong, Ireland, and trips around the Southeastern part of the US. This year we want to take them out west to Moab, UT and Ouray, CO. My father has always wanted to take a road trip like this and now that he is 67 i think its past due. Most trips that we have taken have been by plane so he has never felt part of the adventure. only so much you can see 30K in the air.

with all of that said, i would like some input and suggestions on what to see and trails to take. we are planning to start out from Tuscumbia, AL March 14th and return March 22nd or 23rd. i know long drive in such a short time. only week everyone is free from work. we will be traveling in a 2012 JKU Sahara and 2014 JKU Rubicon X. both are stock so no major rock crawling. the plan is to have family time along with seeing nature and all the wonders that both of these locations offer. want to drive some jeep trails. thats why we have them. thanks in advance.
Don't know much about Ouray.

Moab is another story.

Recommend buying "the book" as people have said before.

If you are more into sightseeing Onion Creek Trail is one of our favorites to take "out of staters" You go up the canyon, drive through the creek bed (in march it should be full), and end up in pine trees (maybe even some snow)

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=127

Hells' revenge, is defiantly a fun one with bypass points on all the bad obstacles. the large climbs on the slick-rock can be quite white knuckling. Hopefully you can watch someone do Hells gate, that's always a fun one.

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=26

Our very first one that got us completely hooked was Metal masher
Its kinda hard to hit the entrance but it is a fun moderate trail with a obstacle called mirror gulch that is fun for any driver, and it brings you to an overlook that offers quite the view

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=90

Dead horse point is a good sightseeing trip. There is a trail nearby that is quite fun and moderate. it brings you down the canyon and you drive underneath a big bolder. I cant think of the name of this trail. I will have to dig out my book and find it.

also be sure to head up the canyon and visit Moab Castle Creek Winery
AMAZING food, and the drive is fantastic.

Hope you have fun!

2004 Grand Cherokee Limited
1984 Cj7
1983 Scrambler
polygamists is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 01-09-2014, 04:43 PM
Boreal
Web Wheeler
 
Boreal's Avatar
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Central
Posts: 3,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by polygamists View Post
Dead horse point is a good sightseeing trip. There is a trail nearby that is quite fun and moderate. it brings you down the canyon and you drive underneath a big bolder. I cant think of the name of this trail. I will have to dig out my book and find it.
A nice loop that you can do in a stock Jeep is Gemini Bridges > Dead Horse Point > Long Canyon (trail w/boulder). That brings you right back to Moab. Depending on how much you stop along the way, it's pretty easy to do that trip in a long morning, return to town for lunch, then still have the afternoon to do a trail nearby (Fins or Hells).

Have a good trip!
Boreal is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 01-09-2014, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Uncle0
Registered User
2014 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Savannah
Posts: 6
Great info. Got the book for a gift this holiday. Will make these as must do.

2014 Wrangler Unlimited || Rubicon X || The Viking Project || just starting
Uncle0 is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 02-08-2014, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Uncle0
Registered User
2014 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Savannah
Posts: 6
Getting ready for the trip that is approaching. Working on my checklist. Vacation rental: check. Guidebook: check. Budget set aside: check. Now I have a few questions.

1) any mod suggestions for my stock Rubicon X before heading there? Lift is scheduled later so that one is out.
2) packing must?
3) recovery must?

Thanks again for all the help. Parents are looking forward to the trip almost as much as I am.

2014 Wrangler Unlimited || Rubicon X || The Viking Project || just starting
Uncle0 is offline  
post #11 of 11 Old 02-09-2014, 11:51 AM
team1k
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lehi
Posts: 2,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle0 View Post
Getting ready for the trip that is approaching. Working on my checklist. Vacation rental: check. Guidebook: check. Budget set aside: check. Now I have a few questions.

1) any mod suggestions for my stock Rubicon X before heading there? Lift is scheduled later so that one is out.
2) packing must?
3) recovery must?

Thanks again for all the help. Parents are looking forward to the trip almost as much as I am.
Did you settle on what trails you are wanting to do? I believe your rubicon comes with sliders which is my main suggestion if you arent doing lift/tires. Pack tons of water as you will need it out on the trail. Spare ujoints are always a good idea and axle shafts if you have them. For recovery it would be good to have a snatch strap and make sure your vehicle has front and rear recovery points.

It was a Jeep thing, but all that stuff broke
92 Jeep YJ Wrangler
UJC
"YJ's are for poor people" - Brian
team1k is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome