Street Legal HID's - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Utah Jeep Forum > Street Legal HID's

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 01-08-2013, 10:37 AM   #1
skyman87
2005 WK 

Street Legal HID's

Anyone know if 12000K HID's are street legal here? IF anyone has done the HID conversion, Have you had any problems with the state inspections or Cops pulling you over for them?

Unread 01-08-2013, 11:00 PM   #2
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

12k, Those are going to have one hell of a purple hue, I wouldn't be surprised if you get harassed for them. IMO 4000-6000 is about the best as far as light output after that the light output drops . Are you going to do a Projector retrofit or a PNP ?

Maybe our favorite State Inspector (90LsTurbo) or one of our LEO's will chime in .
Unread 01-10-2013, 09:08 AM   #3
skyman87
2005 WK 

I know they are going to have a very noticeable purple hue, Call me bizarre but i kind of like that. Yes They are going into projectors. I know that HID are meant to be projected, no reflected. I have after market spyder headlight casings with duel projector lenses that require HB4 bulbs, So I think the lights will look a lot nicer than those retarded honda civics driving all over west valley that have those lights reflected... But alas, my friends are starting to harass me for them..... However, I did talk to a cop friend of mine and he said they really don't pull you over for minor things like that, unless the cop is in a bad mood and wants to pull people over just for the heck of it... Good thing I don't live in Draper, Those cops are horrible.
Unread 01-10-2013, 09:25 AM   #4
j33p4life
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyman87 View Post
I know they are going to have a very noticeable purple hue, Call me bizarre but i kind of like that. Yes They are going into projectors. I know that HID are meant to be projected, no reflected. I have after market spyder headlight casings with duel projector lenses that require HB4 bulbs, So I think the lights will look a lot nicer than those retarded honda civics driving all over west valley that have those lights reflected... But alas, my friends are starting to harass me for them..... However, I did talk to a cop friend of mine and he said they really don't pull you over for minor things like that, unless the cop is in a bad mood and wants to pull people over just for the heck of it... Good thing I don't live in Draper, Those cops are horrible.
ya tell me about it... Cops here are bad for the most part, however I did get away with a bunch of stuff a while ago here in draper. No mudflaps, tires past fenders, no 3rd brake light, no mirror(doors off), and I don't have a muffler... Cop pulled me over and gave me nothing so I don't hate them as much anymore!
XRC Front bumper, XRC-8 Winch SRC rock rails
j33p4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 09:40 AM   #5
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

Please just make sure they're adjusted properly. Don't be one of THOSE guys.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 09:54 AM   #6
Tom95YJ

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godholio
Please just make sure they're adjusted properly. Don't be one of THOSE guys.
He's doing the properly with a retrofit so adjustment should not be an issue.

Sent from iPhoneusing JeepForum
Unread 01-10-2013, 10:13 AM   #7
otherwisebusy
2000 WJ 

Does anyone have pics of their projector install? I would like to get a set with HIDs. I have HIDs on my GP and I love the light output but I really want to put them through projectors. THe only projectors I have seen have those 3 LED looking lights at the top. I don't like that style.
2000 Grand Cherokee Limited Up Country springs, 2" BB, Bilstein 5100 shocks, front DS swap, Addco rear sway bar, JCR Stage3 sliders. UJC #141
My other money pit: 08 Grand Prix GXP, 327ci, SLP hi ratio rockers, magnaflow cat back, DT Headers, CAI, 13.779 @ 100.26
otherwisebusy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 10:19 AM   #8
Tom95YJ

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by otherwisebusy
Does anyone have pics of their projector install? I would like to get a set with HIDs. I have HIDs on my GP and I love the light output but I really want to put them through projectors. THe only projectors I have seen have those 3 LED looking lights at the top. I don't like that style.

Not mine I found off google images. Goto retrofit source . Com
Unread 01-11-2013, 09:35 AM   #9
skyman87
2005 WK 

I haven't seen any casings without the LED's. Mine have the 3 LED's on each side, they are all burnt out now. Really cheep if you ask me. The casings are about a year old. I think they looked lame anyway because they were very dim and blue. I was thinking they would be like the bright white Audi LED's. Oh well. The Halo's look bad *** tho!!! I am doing the install today, I will take a picture of the finished product. If it looks bad, I will just scrap the whole thing and forget about it.
Unread 01-11-2013, 10:24 AM   #10
otherwisebusy
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ View Post

I like those. No sill 3 x LED accent. Clean and simple. How is the light output? Do you have any pics with the lights on?
2000 Grand Cherokee Limited Up Country springs, 2" BB, Bilstein 5100 shocks, front DS swap, Addco rear sway bar, JCR Stage3 sliders. UJC #141
My other money pit: 08 Grand Prix GXP, 327ci, SLP hi ratio rockers, magnaflow cat back, DT Headers, CAI, 13.779 @ 100.26
Unread 01-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #11
otherwisebusy
2000 WJ 

Quote:

Wait, Did you buy the whole housing or put the projectors in yourself? I was looking for a simple swap out solution. I went to that site and only found the projector lamps.
Unread 01-11-2013, 10:42 AM   #12
Tom95YJ

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by otherwisebusy View Post
I like those. No sill 3 x LED accent. Clean and simple. How is the light output? Do you have any pics with the lights on?
Quote:
Originally Posted by otherwisebusy View Post
Wait, Did you buy the whole housing or put the projectors in yourself? I was looking for a simple swap out solution. I went to that site and only found the projector lamps.

I think you misread !

It is called a Retrofit for a reason, You have to take apart your current housing do a little cutting on the inside to fit the projector then you put it back together, If you go into the gallery on retrofitsource.com click on Jeep and scroll threw it shows you how to do it on a WK buy it's the same principal with other vehicles also
Unread 01-11-2013, 11:25 AM   #13
otherwisebusy
2000 WJ 

Quote:
I think you misread !

It is called a Retrofit for a reason, You have to take apart your current housing do a little cutting on the inside to fit the projector then you put it back together, If you go into the gallery on retrofitsource.com click on Jeep and scroll threw it shows you how to do it on a WK buy it's the same principal with other vehicles also
Yah, I'm not that good with making stuff. Im the sort that buys snp-fit models b/c I suck at glue together models. I can do bolt on stuff only. Growing up, I made my pinewood derby cars in the shape of an eraser b/c it was all I could handle. I won all my races b/c it was so aerodynamic though.
Unread 01-11-2013, 10:51 PM   #14
311LJ
311Popo

2004 LJ Wrangler 

You will be fine legally as long as your do proper housings like stated above. They don't care so much about color as proper light output and alignment.
07 WK Overland, Hemi, Chrome bug deflector
[SOLD] Jimmer 01 WJ *2009 GCOTY* WJ Build Thread
*UTAH JEEPCREW #01*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffjeeper View Post
I ♡ John
311LJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.