??? Single Jeep Moab Question ??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Utah Jeep Forum > ??? Single Jeep Moab Question ???

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 01-24-2016, 09:38 AM   #1
smokie123
1983 CJ7 

??? Single Jeep Moab Question ???

Hi Guys,
I'm starting to plan a trip to Moab for Sept of 2017. Looking for guidance as to joining others when going out on the trials? I've been doing lots or reading and the one common piece of advice is to be in a group (not alone). So, with that said I'm coming out alone (with the wife) so will be hoping to join others. Suggestions on finding others?

Additionally, recommendations on minimum things I should make sure I have on my Jeep... Lockers, winch, armor ect...
I have a 1983 CJ7 with a 4 inch lift, solid rear axes, fuel injected, 33" tires, CB...

Thanks,
Rob (in Michigan)

smokie123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2016, 01:09 PM   #2
RockyMnt1
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Meet at the City Market (grocery store) parking lot between 0700-0800 and choose the group that you want to join.....

There are a wide range of trails available, so you should be good to go. I do recommend a personal locator beacon for emergencies. Cell phones/CBs won't be much help in most places around Moab due to the deep canyons and if you need help in a hurry, this is the way to get it.

1) Go here: www.funtreks.com
2) Get the book for Moab and choose which trails suit you.

This site also has good trail info: http://www.rr4w.com/
They are the local 4 wheeling club and they can also answer any questions that you might have. They also might have a trail ride when you will be in the area that you could join....
RockyMnt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2016, 08:39 PM   #3
smokie123
1983 CJ7 

[QUOTE=. I do recommend a personal locator beacon for emergencies. .[/QUOTE]

Like this?
http://jet.com/product/detail/1e30f...FVCAaQodeZIF2w
Unread 01-25-2016, 11:44 AM   #4
RockyMnt1
2006 LJ Wrangler 

This is the one that I have:
http://www.westmarine.com/buy/acr-el...FVQ2aQodkVYEGg

I wanted a small, reliable rescue device only. I didn't want to have the "I'm OK" function. Based on reviews, I elected to go with his model.

Notice:
1) It transmits on both aviation emergency frequencies (121.5/406). 121.5 is currently being phased out for the 406 frequency. As a pilot, I always have one of my radios tuned to 121.5 while in the mountains or over rough terain. When I did have an aviation emergency, I did not have an issue communicating with a FedEx aircraft on 121.5, so the system works. This function will help rescurers zero in on your position if there was an issue with the GPS coordinates provided.
2) It is a GPS and sends the GPS coordinates and a unique identifier to the GEOS International Emergency Response Coordination Center. The signal will get out of the deep canyons in Moab.
3) Notice how long the PLB batteries last when operating both the strobe and GPS.
4) There is a strobe light. There is a big difference between a strobe and leds in a rescue situation.

There are some places where it pays to be cheap. This isn't one of them. Do some research, read reviews, and form your own opinion.
Unread 01-25-2016, 04:25 PM   #5
smokie123
1983 CJ7 

Cj

Quote:
There are some places where it pays to be cheap. This isn't one of them.
I completely understand... I am a lieutenant on a professional fire department and know the importance of safety and being prepared. I will look into this further now that I've learned a little about them from you. I value your opinion as well and you've been most helpful.
I'm sold!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C7UiFe_hRk
Got any plans Sept. of 2017? That's when we are going to Moab...

Pic of my ride
silver-lake-closing-weekend-2015-jumping.jpg  
Unread 01-25-2016, 06:17 PM   #6
RockyMnt1
2006 LJ Wrangler 

You will have NO trouble finding fun Moab trails with your rig!!! Are you driving, towing, or trailering it out from Mich?

Sept 2017 is a possibility. I usually go to the Reno Air races because my daugther lives 2 miles from Stead airport, but she may be moving, so that would free up my Sept.

I was in Ontonogon, Mi in Aug. My first time in that area. Very pretty area and friendly folks. I moved out here from South Bend 37 years ago. Is that pic taken in the sand dune park near Benton Harbor?
Unread 01-26-2016, 04:15 PM   #7
smokie123
1983 CJ7 

Cj

No, that pic was taken at the Silver Lake Sand Dunes near Hart, MI. North of Muskegon and south of Ludington. Love it over there... Spent 23 days there last summer/fall. The problem is my Jeep is currently totally set up for sand dunes so need to so some upgrades to get it Moab ready. The good news is I have 584 days to do that. Not that I'm counting. (ha,ha...)

A video shot in 2010 before my engine rebuild and fuel injection.

I have a monster 5th wheel camper and usually flat tow my Jeep behind that when traveling here in Michigan. For the Moab trip I plan to purchase a truck bed type camper and either tow the Jeep out on a car hauling trailer or if I can talk my buddy into letting me borrow his goosseneck trailer put the truck bed camper and the Jeep on the gooseneck. We'll see....

Not my set up but you'll get the idea...
gooseneck-trailer-camper-jeep.jpg

Unread 01-28-2016, 08:17 AM   #8
smokie123
1983 CJ7 

Cj

[QUOTE=..[/QUOTE]
?
Unread 01-28-2016, 11:06 AM   #9
RockyMnt1
2006 LJ Wrangler 

What upgrades are you planning?

That gooseneck trail would be perfect. Just need to anchor that camper to the trailer...there can be really high winds out here at times....
Unread 01-28-2016, 02:04 PM   #10
smokie123
1983 CJ7 

Cj

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMnt1 View Post
What upgrades are you planning?

Well, for starters lockers front and back, re-tube my front drive shaft, upgrade steering to DOM and heim joints, rock slides on rocker panels and if I can fabricate a skid plate for under $200 then a skid plate for the rear differential. Still trying to figure out something for my oil pan. A couple more cross members on my roll cage.
A winch, possibly beef up my OEM spare tire holder and add a gas can. If I'm not broke by then new front seats, rock lights and a cold air intake are on my wish list... Wow, that list got long and expensive real quick... LOL

Did I miss anything you would recommend?
jeep-silver-lake-2015.jpg   jeep-silver-lake-2015-2.jpg  
Unread 01-29-2016, 06:15 PM   #11
RockyMnt1
2006 LJ Wrangler 

As long as I am spending your money.....For the oil pan.....I just got a Savvy engine skid ($297.00) shipped.

http://shop.savvyoffroad.com/Engine-...id-UAM-Eng.htm

Is that hitch on the rear tied in to the frame? Would it withstand a side pull?

By the way, thanks for your service!!

Make sure that your brakes are in good shape. Here is why:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8vozPlEGm8
Unread 01-30-2016, 07:36 PM   #12
smokie123
1983 CJ7 

Cj

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMnt1 View Post
As long as I am spending your money.....For the oil pan.....I just got a Savvy engine skid ($297.00) shipped.
Before I forget, yes my hitch goes to the frame. It's a OEM CJ7 hitch.

I liked the skid plate you showed but I didn't see one for the 1983 CJ7. It's always hard for me to find stuff for my Jeep so no surprise. As a matter of fact I'm probably going to have to manufacture my own for the rear differential.

Thank you for your kind words... I love my job!!!
Unread 02-01-2016, 10:49 PM   #13
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMnt1
Meet at the City Market (grocery store) parking lot between 0700-0800 and choose the group that you want to join..... There are a wide range of trails available, so you should be good to go. I do recommend a personal locator beacon for emergencies. Cell phones/CBs won't be much help in most places around Moab due to the deep canyons and if you need help in a hurry, this is the way to get it. 1) Go here: www.funtreks.com 2) Get the book for Moab and choose which trails suit you. This site also has good trail info: http://www.rr4w.com/ They are the local 4 wheeling club and they can also answer any questions that you might have. They also might have a trail ride when you will be in the area that you could join....

You nailed it right on the head.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.