Repair or replace? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Utah Jeep Forum > Repair or replace?

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 10-18-2014, 01:03 PM   #1
luv2offroad
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Repair or replace?

Given that I do no own a welder or know how to weld -- should I find someone to weld this to repair it or just replace the whole seat?

jeep-seat.jpg  

Utah Jeep Forum #149
1998 Black XJ
1995 Green XJ -- rolled n sold :D
luv2offroad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2014, 12:18 PM   #2
YJ475
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Is that the bottom of some sort of seat? If so, does it being broken affect the function of the Jeep?
YJ475 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2014, 12:33 PM   #3
luv2offroad
1998 XJ Cherokee 

That is the bottom of the driver's seat. The way it is now, it's like sitting in a rocking chair and if you lean too hard on the back then the metal tube along the front pulls through the open hole. Then the seat is always reclining.

I've read numerous posts and this seems to be a common problem. That metal holding the seat on to the slider frame is pretty thin. It seems that some people are able to weld new metal into that spot and it holds. While others have opted to just replace the seat altogether.

Utah Jeep Forum #149
1998 Black XJ
Unread 10-19-2014, 08:08 PM   #4
MBD09
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I guess it depends on the funds you want to spend to correct this issue.
If you plan on keeping/upgrading your current Jeep why not go for better seats? You can always buy 1 at a time as funds allow.
Junkyard seat possibly?
Otherwise you'll have to take it to a shop to get it welded given you do not weld yourself.
MBD09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2014, 10:19 AM   #5
luv2offroad
1998 XJ Cherokee 

The jeep is certainly not going anywhere. So I guess a new seat is in store.

Utah Jeep Forum #149
1998 Black XJ
Unread 10-20-2014, 05:45 PM   #6
MBD09
1998 TJ Wrangler 

let the hunt begin.... you thinking new or used seats? I would love to pick up a set of better seats for my Jeep someday.
Unread 10-20-2014, 08:56 PM   #7
luv2offroad
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I'm torn. If I get used how long will they last? If I buy new then I wasted money on a seat that could have been used on some other jeep part. Lol

Utah Jeep Forum #149
1998 Black XJ
Unread 10-21-2014, 09:11 AM   #8
amp713
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Check out the checker seats, my jeep had them when i got it and if they sell them in spice ill probably buy another set and sell the black ones! I really like them and they arent very expensive id imagine..... I cant tell you much about them sadly since i didnt buy them. but maybe go swing by a checker orielly and look into it.
Unread 10-21-2014, 05:37 PM   #9
MBD09
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'm torn. If I get used how long will they last?
Well if it was me i would not be getting replacement stock seats; this is a chance for an upgrade. Upgrades do not always have to be expensive. As Amp has mentioned, get some aftermarket of some kind. No need to spend $400 on a Corbeau seat. Always browse the classified ads for things like this... you never know what you will find.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.