Re-gear or axle swap? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Utah Jeep Forum > Re-gear or axle swap?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 08-23-2013, 08:25 AM   #1
pagnani
1983 CJ7 

Re-gear or axle swap?

I have an 83 CJ with awesome(sarcasm) 2.73 gears. I am looking to re-gear to 4.10's and have received a quote from six states for $1500. Is that the right price? It does seem a bit high to me, but then again this is my first re-gear. Does anyone know another quality shop that could do the re-gear?

The other thought is, if I am going to spend $1500 would it be better to spend that on tougher axles? I have the 20 in the rear that gets mixed reviews, but I am having a hard time finding axles that will bolt up to the CJ.

Let me know your thoughts and any tips you have!!

Unread 08-23-2013, 09:26 AM   #2
Moab_cj5
2010 JK Wrangler 

I personally would look for axles if I am going to drop that much money. The 20 can be made to be very strong, but rear axles are cheap and easy to swap. The Front is the bigger challange.

Check out the classifieds for someone selling axles and try to get a set so the bolt pattern is the same. You can always cut off any mounts for other vehicles and weld perches on for springs for the rear. The front you want to find a D44 from a wagoneer, or from something with a leaf suspension and the diff on the right side (pass side drop for most CJ's). It can be as easy or as hard as you want to make it depending on what you find and what you want to do to the axles before putting them in the Jeep.
Moab_cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 09:02 PM   #3
Mr-Talon
1993 XJ Cherokee 

There is a place in Ogden I found that does re gear for under $200 an axle.
UJC Member #146
Mr-Talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 11:28 AM   #4
pagnani
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr-Talon View Post
There is a place in Ogden I found that does re gear for under $200 an axle.
Awesome!! Where is that? Quality parts and labor? I like that price, but want to make sure if I am going to drop that much money, its done right.
Unread 08-26-2013, 01:12 PM   #5
team1k
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I'm going to assume that's just labor. Usually the gears alone are a few hundred.
"YJ's are for poor people" - Brian
team1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 01:28 PM   #6
sanctified
2013 JK Wrangler 

Pagnani, you have to remember its not just the gears that you need for this project. Not sure where your at skill wise - I haven't any, but you need a carrier as well. If your going to have someone do the install you really ought to get a locker at the same time. The locker acts as the gear carrier. Its a "do it once" kind of thing. You can also get the parts yourself and have someone install them. I did that with my one piece axle shafts for the AMC 20. I got the G2's which were about mid pack as far as price goes and was able to get them cheaper than what 6 states would have charged for parts.

I don't remember what the carrier windows are but you will need new one for both the front and rear if your going to 4.10's.

Curious, what size tires are you planning on running?
Utah Jeep Crew #178
sanctified is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 04:24 PM   #7
pagnani
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanctified View Post
Pagnani, you have to remember its not just the gears that you need for this project. Not sure where your at skill wise - I haven't any, but you need a carrier as well. If your going to have someone do the install you really ought to get a locker at the same time. The locker acts as the gear carrier. Its a "do it once" kind of thing. You can also get the parts yourself and have someone install them. I did that with my one piece axle shafts for the AMC 20. I got the G2's which were about mid pack as far as price goes and was able to get them cheaper than what 6 states would have charged for parts.

I don't remember what the carrier windows are but you will need new one for both the front and rear if your going to 4.10's.

Curious, what size tires are you planning on running?
Great info. I just went up 4" and am running 33" muds. They ride great up to 55mph after that... Well there is no after that. I am maxed out unless I am going downhill or have a huge back wind. I have contemplated a locker. I am leaning more LS in the rear, and one day a selectable locker in the front. This is my DD and I hear that in our snow and ice, lockers make you go sideways?
Unread 08-26-2013, 04:39 PM   #8
Moab_cj5
2010 JK Wrangler 

1st, not all lockers require a new carrier, and usually just changing gears doesn't require a new carrier. 2nd, a full time rear locker will certainly affect your winter handling, especially in 2WD, but it is managable and predictable in 4WD from my experience.

If you select a locker that requires a new carrier(Eaton, Detroit, ARB are just a few), then yes, it makes more sense to do it at the same time as gears because they will have to do the same setup for a new carrier that they do for new gears. If you go with a lunch box locker (lock rite and the like) that just replace the spider gears, you can install that without changing the gear setup and it is easier to add that later.
Unread 08-26-2013, 05:23 PM   #9
team1k
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moab_cj5
1st, not all lockers require a new carrier, and usually just changing gears doesn't require a new carrier. 2nd, a full time rear locker will certainly affect your winter handling, especially in 2WD, but it is managable and predictable in 4WD from my experience.

If you select a locker that requires a new carrier(Eaton, Detroit, ARB are just a few), then yes, it makes more sense to do it at the same time as gears because they will have to do the same setup for a new carrier that they do for new gears. If you go with a lunch box locker (lock rite and the like) that just replace the spider gears, you can install that without changing the gear setup and it is easier to add that later.
I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure a jump from 2.73 to 4.10 is going to need a new carrier, even if he is using a lunchbox locker. That or a very thick ring gear...

I think that's why the previous poster was saying to do a locker at the same time since the carrier is needed anyway. I have a Detroit in the rear of mine and don't have issues in winter unless I try driving with one tire in the snow piled on the side of the road and the other on pavement. Then it will pull you in. I do have larger tires and a heavier rig though so that does make some difference
Unread 08-26-2013, 07:21 PM   #10
Mr-Talon
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Yes, $200 is labor. Then the price of gears, locker etc.....
I thought if one got THICK gears, they could use the same carrier.
UJC Member #146
Mr-Talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 08:33 PM   #11
team1k
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr-Talon View Post
Yes, $200 is labor. Then the price of gears, locker etc.....
I thought if one got THICK gears, they could use the same carrier.
The dana 30 has thick gears available. I cant find any for the AMC 20 in a brief search. So i guess to rephrase my previous statement, you most likely will need a new carrier for the rear axle.
Unread 08-27-2013, 10:34 AM   #12
Moab_cj5
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by team1k View Post
I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure a jump from 2.73 to 4.10 is going to need a new carrier, even if he is using a lunchbox locker. That or a very thick ring gear...

I think that's why the previous poster was saying to do a locker at the same time since the carrier is needed anyway. I have a Detroit in the rear of mine and don't have issues in winter unless I try driving with one tire in the snow piled on the side of the road and the other on pavement. Then it will pull you in. I do have larger tires and a heavier rig though so that does make some difference
You are likely right. I didn't consider the size difference in going from a 2.73 ring gear to a 4.10 ring gear. A carrier may be needed for that large of a difference.

When I regeared my jeeps it has always been a small difference (4.10 to 4.88 and 4.1 to 5.38).

I would research all the options, and if a new carrier is needed, I would certainly do a locker at the same time to save on having to do the setup twice.
Unread 08-27-2013, 04:34 PM   #13
pagnani
1983 CJ7 

I called a few shops and all of them agree that I would need a new carrier in the front and the rear. What are your thoughts on a limited slip rear end? With maybe an OX up front?
Unread 08-27-2013, 05:47 PM   #14
team1k
1992 YJ Wrangler 

My thoughts are if you plan on building the rig on bigger than 33" tires you may as well do the axle swap and not waste time regearing these axles.

If your set on keeping these axles or they will meet your needs, and on-street driveability is a concern then I would go with a selectable rear and automatic(lunchbox or Detroit) front or a selectable front too if you have the coin. For me I rarely use 4wd in daily driving, even on snow, so keeping the rig in 2wd and turning off the rear locker would make it handle like a regular vehicle on snow. If a little extra traction is needed then you can flip a switch and use the rear locker. If even more is needed then your probably in a slower moving situation where 4hi with a front locker won't be a big deal.

That's how I would do it since I'd rather have something that I know is on or off and not something that engages based on wheelspin

Keep in mind I live in the lehi, Orem, lindon area so our roads are plowed well and snowfall is minimal. In other areas it may be better to have a different setup.

Another thing to note is a locker that's not selectable will make steering in certain offroad situations difficult. I had no issues with 33s and a front locker but on 37s there were times turning was not even possible. I ended up needing a ram assist.

Hope all that helps you decide
Unread 08-28-2013, 07:00 AM   #15
pagnani
1983 CJ7 

What are your thoughts on this setup? Too deep for daily driver?

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218...ch=cj&ad_cid=2

Dana 44, and Model 20, FSJ Axles, Detroit Lockers and 4:88 gears Both have disk Brakes.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.