One Car too Far - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Utah Jeep Forum > One Car too Far

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 08-27-2012, 04:34 PM   #1
YJYNOTJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

One Car too Far

Anybody checked out One Car too Far on Discover yet? Basic premis is drop a 92 near stock wrangler, a driver/jeep expert and a surval expert in the middle of somewhere and see if they can get out.

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/on...ll-episode.htm

Concept seemed really cool, although the jeep expert seems to not really be that great. Also typical manufactured drama reality tv. Sometimes it takes a while for shows to find a good grove, I have hopes this will eventually get more watchable.

YJYNOTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2012, 05:05 PM   #2
clgielin
2003 WJ 

I have it on my DVR. Might watch it tonight.

Edit - Wu isn't quite the expert driver that they talked him up to be. It would have been an easy trip for the dub.

2003 WJ 4.7L
Build Thread Here: 2003 WJ
Michigan Tech Jeepers #4
Utah JeepCrew #16
clgielin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2012, 12:16 AM   #3
team1k
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Looks interesting. May have to watch it. The pictures on the page though definitely are a tj. Not a 92 yj
"YJ's are for poor people" - Brian
team1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2012, 08:48 AM   #4
YJYNOTJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

oh sorry typo, 2002 not 92. They quote it's a "10 year old" vehicle.
Unread 08-28-2012, 09:45 AM   #5
youngjeepr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I watched 1 episode and it seemed all staged and the driver was far from expert IMO.

Utah Jeep Crew

Build Thread
youngjeepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2012, 12:14 PM   #6
90lsturbo
scratches add character..

1984 CJ7 

This show is pretty gay imo expert my *** lol where do they find these idiots
1984 cj7- new rig and no rust lol

#89 UJC
"Real men dont let their friends drive prius's"
90lsturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2012, 10:08 PM   #7
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I watched it today I thought it was pretty funny watching the lack of skill that the expert had. He may have been an expert on a landrover dealers test course Or an expert at mall crawling at Starbucks .

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 08-30-2012, 10:55 PM   #8
team1k
1992 YJ Wrangler 

well i just watched the first two episodes that are available on the website. First off i would absolutely love doing the stuff these guys are doing. What an awesome experience.

Secondly i think you guys are being to hard on them. The driver is labled as a gear head, not an offroader or jeeper and i dont recall them calling him an expert(could have missed it). This is very apparent when he didnt use the hi lift as a trail fix for the broken axle shaft, however, he did come up with another poplular solution so props to him on that.

The survival guy does seem to know what hes doing and at times has better ideas about offroading then the driver. He also caught bigger fish with a speaker wire and a worm then i have with real equipment.

Overall i think its a pretty good show and will continue to watch it for sure. It has a jeep in it and its about offroading and survival, cant say there are many other(if any) shows out there like it. Im sure parts of it are staged to keep things interesting but just because he drives into a bog intentionally doesnt mean it wasnt interesting watching them get out of it. Also if both these guys were experts and made everything they did a cake walk then the show would blow because of how boring it would be.

If your looking for expert knowledge and tips how to survive and proper 4x4 etiquette(like wearing seatbelts) then no this is not the show to watch. If you want to watch two guys bash through some awesome terrain in a jeep then this is the show for you.
Unread 09-02-2012, 09:17 AM   #9
Dogbones
2006 TJ Wrangler 

i jsut hate the fact they call it a "Car" and you can tell they would jump for joy if you said land rover to them. I think they should've put them in a land rover they seem more like land rover peo ple to me
Dogbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2012, 12:27 PM   #10
GeepTJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

It sucks they call a Jeep a car! I guess calling it a car is basically an international thing. It's a fun little show to watch though. The expert Bill Wu is a Hummer guy, so this explains a lot of the messes they get into or almost get into. His driving style is pure Hummer owner. A Motor Trend article about him will crack you up. A Hummer guy in a Jeep does make things interesting though. The British Special forces guy is ok, typical survivalist stuff. Was funny when Wu used the battery to start a fire. I just hope people don't think Wu is the perfect example of how to drive off road in any vehicle, especially a Jeep! Would definitely rather see a Jeep guy behind the wheel.
GeepTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2012, 01:02 PM   #11
team1k
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I believe they are calling it One Car Too Far because its not just about jeeps and is catchy. Currently they are polling to find out what type of vehicle people want to see on the show next season and ideas where people would like to see it dropped.
Unread 09-06-2012, 08:19 PM   #12
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

Jeep doesn't rhyme with "far." Discovery and History are all about catchy/flashy entertainment now, not the subjects that they're named for. I never thought I'd long for the unending string of WWII shows on The Hitler Channel I mean The History Channel.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2012, 12:30 PM   #13
YJYNOTJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

3 episodes into it now. I'm pretty sure they are breaking things on purpose to try and add interest to the show. A broken axel from driving down hill on ice? And then next episode spark plug cable shorts and the throttle cable breaks?

Despite it's stupid parts I'll probably keep watching cause the scenery is awesome and who doesn't like watching a Jeep drive down the middle of a river?
Unread 09-07-2012, 01:34 PM   #14
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by team1k View Post
First off i would absolutely love doing the stuff these guys are doing. What an awesome experience.

If you want to watch two guys bash through some awesome terrain in a jeep then this is the show for you.
I agree 100%. What I wouldn't give for some TV channel to pay me to go do that stuff!!
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2012, 02:23 PM   #15
RedZJ
1996 ZJ 

I enjoy the show. They never did call him an expert. But they are both pretty damn knowledgeable.
RedZJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.