need some pinion seal help guys. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Utah Jeep Forum > need some pinion seal help guys.

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 10-21-2012, 10:29 AM   #1
PowderPusher
1999 TJ Wrangler 

need some pinion seal help guys.

ok so my pinion seal on my d44 is leaking pretty bad now and i plan on replacing it tomorrow. i have to change the fluid out of the diff anyway so i was going to do it at the same time. my question is. since i have such a big lift on my tj and i cant properly fill my dif without having the axel jacked up to level, can i fill it up to the fill hole and then add more through the pinion area of the dif to kinda top it off? and i want to take my dif cover off to see whats inside. what is best to use to re-seal the diff cover?

PowderPusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2012, 10:52 AM   #2
cbandit
1997 TJ Wrangler 

A lube locker gasket ($23 iirc) is always nice, that way you don't have to clean off rtv when you open up the diff. However rtv silicone works to seal the diff and is cheap.
cbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2012, 11:39 AM   #3
PowderPusher
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbandit View Post
A lube locker gasket ($23 iirc) is always nice, that way you don't have to clean off rtv when you open up the diff. However rtv silicone works to seal the diff and is cheap.
cheap is what im going for and i would rather clean the old stuff off and start with a clean mating surface.

can i top the dif off through this opening? since my dif points down way too much.
Unread 10-21-2012, 11:49 AM   #4
cbandit
1997 TJ Wrangler 

You'd use the lube locker in place of rtv, both need a clean mounting surface. You can fill from the fill plug, if overfilled it will spit the excess up the breather line. Even if jacked up your pinion angle will stay relatively the same. So if you really wanted to use the curb to raise your suspension up (since you don't have a jack) you could but it wouldn't make much difference.
cbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2012, 11:52 AM   #5
PowderPusher
1999 TJ Wrangler 

ok. i might take it to my buddies place and see if he will let me use his lift to raise the front end up to level.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.