Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

In need of Moab advice

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Cliff333 
#1 ·
I'll try to keep this short and sweet. My wife and I are in desperate need of a vacation and its rare that we get out of town let alone out of state (oregon coast for anyone that might wonder). We are thinking of taking a week long trip to Moab for some sight seeing and a bit of wheelin and back roads driving. We have had our jeep for almost a year now and it isn't set up for extreme wheeling or rock climbing its just mildly lifted, good tires, limited slip front and rear, sway bar dis, winch and a semi capable driver. I've drivin in almost every form of terrain there is mud, snow, ice, sand, clay and slightly rocky but Im a bit concerned Moab is a bit to rock crawler for me and my jeep. Am I wrong? I hope I am. From the pics I've seen the views and country side are gourgious! So can anyone help are there still some fun trails in Moab that won't scare the hell out of my wife and ruin my jeep.

#2 · (Edited)
I have been to Moab a few times. There are all types of trails, from gravel roads, to mild enough for 100% stock rigs, to hardcore. Buy a Moab trail guide book written by Charles A Wells, he rates all the trails for difficulty and gives general trail directions and some GPS way-points. It is very important that you not travel any trails alone, just in case something happens or you make a wrong turn.

People often gather in the morning at the big grocery store in town to find others willing to travel a certain trail. You can probably find a trail group to travel with there. I have always been with a group of experienced Moab Jeepers so I don't have any more details about the grocery store deal.

#3 ·
Thanx for all the advice. I think we definetly need to go there. I'll see if I can order the book 2 morrow. An idea how well cell service is out there (sprint/nextel), if any we kinda wanna keep in touch with our kids since this will be the longest we've ever been away from them.

#4 ·
In town fine, out in the countryside, good luck. Sometimes on the hilltops you can get a signal. All the more reason not to trail ride alone.

#5 ·
In town fine, out in the countryside, good luck. Sometimes on the hilltops you can get a signal. All the more reason not to trail ride alone.
Yep That's about it. Also if you have a clear view of the La Sal Mountains you usually get it since there is a tower up there.
People often gather in the morning at the big grocery store in town to find others willing to travel a certain trail. You can probably find a trail group to travel with there. I have always been with a group of experienced Moab Jeepers so I don't have any more details about the grocery store deal.
Yeah groups do get together in City Market Parking lot. There isn't always people there but its worth a shot.
I've drivin in almost every form of terrain there is mud, snow, ice, sand, clay and slightly rocky but Im a bit concerned Moab is a bit to rock crawler for me and my jeep. Am I wrong? I hope I am.
You are totally wrong. A lot of people have the conception that Moab is for heavily modified rigs only and that's just not true. You can have a ton of fun and hit a bunch of trails with a slightly modified rig. Not to mention see some scenery that will blow your mind.

We have had our jeep for almost a year now and it isn't set up for extreme wheeling or rock climbing its just mildly lifted, good tires, limited slip front and rear, sway bar dis, winch and a semi capable driver.
You rig sounds quite a bit like mine. CJ7-Tim is right... get the Charles A Wells guidebook. Once you have it read through the trails. To give you an idea my Cherokee has a 2.5in lift, discos, open diffs, 31in decent tires and a winch "although I have never used it on any of these trails" and here is a list of trails I have done.

Tusher Tunnel - Very easy
Hidden Canyon
Spring Canyon Point
Mineral Point
Gemini Bridges
Picture Frame Arch / Kane Creek Overlook
Onion Creek - Very Easy and Very scenic
Dolores River Overlook
Polar Mesa
White Wash Sand Dunes
Tower Arch
Hidden Canyon Overlook
Bartlett Overlook
Rainbow Terrace
Secret Spire / Dellenbaugh Tunnel
Hey Joe Canyon - Don't attempt if you like your paint job!
Long Canyon
Bull Canyon
Hurrah Pass / Chicken Corners - Very cool Views
Dome Plateau
La Sal Pass - good one if you like the Mountains
Shafer Trail - Very easy but the road will blow your mind
Lathrop Canyon
Canyon Rim Overlooks - very easy but has some of the best views of Canyonlands.
Klondike Bluffs
Seven Mile Rim
Fins and Things
Hells Revenge - Minus Hells Gate and Escalator
Poison Spider Mesa
Strike Ravine - with quite a bit of rocking
Cliff Hanger - with quite a bit of rocking on ledges
Steel Bender - with quite a bit of rocking on "The Fall"
Elephant Hill
Porcupine Rim
Top Of The World

#6 ·
My wife and I are in desperate need of a vacation and its rare that we get out of town let alone out of state (oregon coast for anyone that might wonder).
Yes, the Oregon coast is a really suky place to live! :laugh:

Give me your addy and leave a key under the door matt, my wife and I need a vacation, too. :D

I've only been there once, but totally agree with the above. You'll have a great time. Lots of trails as shown above... you can wheel your rear end off and barely scratch the surface in a week. :thumbsup:
Have fun!!!

#7 ·
Sorry nI havent checked back on this thread in awhile Thanks for all the great advice especially on all the trails you have done Cliff333. LOL oh and RockWoRM I dont think my barely over 900 sq foot house would be much of a vacation but yes Oregon is awsome and beautiful, great things to do but just need a change of scenery.

#8 ·
Sure Roye77! If you do decide to head down here and would like someone to wheel with shoot me a PM. I am working a bunch lately but would love to get out and wheel and its always better with someone else. :cheers2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.