Need a lift kit. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Utah Jeep Forum > Need a lift kit.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 04-04-2013, 04:32 PM   #1
Jordan27
2008 JK Wrangler 

Need a lift kit.

I have a 2008 Jeep Wrangler unlimited JK 4 Door. I am wondering what I need to know to do a 2.5' lift on it. What is not included in the "kit" that I need? What is a good system to go with? What is a bad system? I want to do it right the first time and not screw up my rig. Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated I am new to Jeeping and dont know a whole lot.

Unread 04-04-2013, 05:13 PM   #2
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

don't buy rough country, customer service is non excistant.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/building-recovery-bumpers-pics-1184330/
The_Blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2013, 08:23 PM   #3
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

Ask Crawlerready. He's on JF and a member of UJC.

If you were only going up 2" I would say do a Budget Boost and shocks. But I don't think it's recommended at anything over 2".
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2013, 10:28 PM   #4
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

2.5" I would reccommend a kit that replaces the coils over spacers ( I am not a fan of spacers )

If it was my JK I would go with a 2.5" Old Man Emu lift They ride amazing and the springs flex well and hold their height for years !
Another one to look at would be Teraflex 2.5" they are located in Murray and probably have it in stock , Teraflex seems to be one of the favored JK suspension companys on the market
Unread 04-05-2013, 09:45 AM   #5
PowderPusher
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ View Post
2.5" I would reccommend a kit that replaces the coils over spacers ( I am not a fan of spacers )

If it was my JK I would go with a 2.5" Old Man Emu lift They ride amazing and the springs flex well and hold their height for years !
Another one to look at would be Teraflex 2.5" they are located in Murray and probably have it in stock , Teraflex seems to be one of the favored JK suspension companys on the market
like he said about teraflex. you could just take it down to their shop and tell them what you want and they will call you when its done. they have budget systems that will raise you 2.5" and not need anything crazy.
PowderPusher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2013, 02:54 PM   #6
Redtwo
2008 JK Wrangler 

I did a ton of research here on my kit before I got. My first suggestion is make sure you dig through the threads on the JK Technical forum. I didn't want to go more than 3 inches as I use it often enough to be considered a daily driver. I wasn't a fan of spacers either so get something that will replace the coils. Look at Teraflex and Rock Krawler for kits. Both companies have a lot of options in the 2.5" - 3" range and you can't go wrong with their quality. Sure you will pay a little more but like you said do it right the first time. I ended up getting the RK 2.5 Max Travel kit. The kit has everything you will need except for new shocks. I'm finally installing it tomorrow morning 6am! It should have been on last weekend but somehow chemo (my first round) and lifting heavy things doesn't go together.

Paul84043 on the forums is local and has the same kit. He put a thread together on his install. Check it out.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/r...stall-1371186/

I don't think you can go wrong with RK or Teraflex. Both amazing companies when it comes to kit for the JK.
Redtwo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2013, 03:44 PM   #7
Jordan27
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks everyone. @Redtwo what kind of cancer?
Unread 04-08-2013, 10:33 AM   #8
Redtwo
2008 JK Wrangler 

Testicular. I caught it early (stage 1) and just have one more round of chemo. Its been a fun start of the year, I found it first week in January and had surgery on the 8th, but by the end of the month I should be done with all my treatments. Just get to go to the doctor more often over the next few years. It was definitely a wake up call to make sure I'm not taking life for granted.

Here is my Jeep with the lift installed. Still need to trim my rear fenders but it may not get done in time for this weekends trip to moab.

Redtwo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2013, 10:47 AM   #9
Jordan27
2008 JK Wrangler 

That sucks! Hope everything goes well! Moab is great I've been twice so far this year.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.