MOAB this weekend - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Utah Jeep Forum > MOAB this weekend

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 07-06-2008, 09:05 PM   #1
slvrathlon
1999 XJ Cherokee 

MOAB this weekend

Hey all. In Salt Lake City for 2 weeks on business, in from Raleigh, NC... I was planning on heading to MOAB this coming weekend to take in the sites along with renting a Jeep for a trail ride...
But it just so happens that Enterprise gave me a XTerra so, hell maybe the Jeep rental is out.

If anyone is out that way this coming weekend, would love to meet up with the fellow Jeepers, drink a beer, and see the beautiful country!

Any suggestions on easy to moderate trails? Would love to NOT go alone as we all know, something is always possible...

Thanks all!

slvrathlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2008, 09:20 PM   #2
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Go to City Market each morning ~7:30-8:00AM. There's almost always a few groups/clubs/folks looking to plan a run for the day.

I have met several offroad folks who joined up with me or the group I happen to be in and ran with us for the day.

City Market is the grocery store in the heart of town. It has a large parking lot & you'll probably see groups forming as early as ~7:00 up till ~8:30-9:00. However, the earlier the better.

Have fun.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2008, 09:23 PM   #3
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Also, I HIGHLY recommend that you buy the Wells Moab book while there. It contains many (but not all) of the popular trails and groups them by way of difficulty.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2008, 03:23 PM   #4
Polecat
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I saw a stock late model XTerra on Fins n Things. It's behind the TJ coming down the rock. When I first saw this obstacle I said I wouldn't want to climb it on foot much less in my Jeep. The guy in the Red TJ gave me some tips and pointers and basically told me a stock Jeep would have no problem on this.

Then I figured I wasn't going to be upstaged by a stock XTerra.

Unread 07-07-2008, 05:42 PM   #5
slvrathlon
1999 XJ Cherokee 

NICE! Well I was fully planning on renting a Jeep, but now with the XTerra I think I'll test that out vs the Jeep. We'll see... but I can always rock mine back in NC.

Thanks all for the above suggestions / advice. I will for sure check out the Wells MOAB book and thanks for the 3 -4 rating vs. moderate.

In terms of the 3 rating. Are these trails too much for a factory XTerra? I guess from the above post, Fins n Things looks fun, but this is a rental. No need to be stuck with the cost of that!

Unread 07-07-2008, 06:00 PM   #6
SurfnSnow
2010 JK Wrangler 

Fins n Things isn't that bad, I probably used my lockers more than I needed to on that trail when I wen (but it was my first time). It's a good short trail
SurfnSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2008, 12:34 PM   #7
slvrathlon
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Right on... I also just looked into renting a MTN bike and damn, $40 for the day is a damn good price for the bikes they're offering.

So looking forward to this weekend. Any suggestions on a cozy place to stay?
Unread 07-08-2008, 03:44 PM   #8
Polecat
2006 LJ Wrangler 

A good scenic but mild trail is Shafer Trail. Head out of Moab towards Arches and turn on Potash Road, it's past the river but before Arches. The first part is pretty much packed dirt road but there are a few rocky spots but nothing a stock 4x4 can't handle. Just past the Potash there is a cool balanced rock, opposite the rock is a neat little cave up in the rocks.

The drive up into Canyonlands National Park is pretty sweet and the switchbacks make for some fun driving.

You could return by the Long Canyon trail. The neat part on that is a natural tunnel of sorts formed by a huge boulder. On the way up past the boulder it is a little narrow and sandy but again nothing difficult. I figure it would take about 4-6 hours to make that loop depending on how fast you go and how much you stop to take pictures.

Oh...and if you like Mexican food check out La Hacienda.
Unread 07-08-2008, 03:55 PM   #9
slvrathlon
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Great, great suggestions! Thank you very much for the trail explanation Polecat. That is what I was REALLY looking for.

But unfortunately it's looking like I'm on my own, unless I meet up with a few folks this weekend.

From the above comment from Polecat, this sounds like I could take this alone (Alone as in the only rig).

Thanks again guys!
Unread 07-08-2008, 03:56 PM   #10
slvrathlon
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polecat View Post
A good scenic but mild trail is Shafer Trail. Head out of Moab towards Arches and turn on Potash Road, it's past the river but before Arches. The first part is pretty much packed dirt road but there are a few rocky spots but nothing a stock 4x4 can't handle. Just past the Potash there is a cool balanced rock, opposite the rock is a neat little cave up in the rocks.

The drive up into Canyonlands National Park is pretty sweet and the switchbacks make for some fun driving.

You could return by the Long Canyon trail. The neat part on that is a natural tunnel of sorts formed by a huge boulder. On the way up past the boulder it is a little narrow and sandy but again nothing difficult. I figure it would take about 4-6 hours to make that loop depending on how fast you go and how much you stop to take pictures.

Oh...and if you like Mexican food check out La Hacienda.
So is all of the above 4-6hrs or is that the Canyonlands returning by the long Canyon trail?
Unread 07-08-2008, 07:50 PM   #11
Polecat
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I did Shafer, Fins n Things and Long Canyon in a single vehicle.

Here's a pic showing Shafer and Long Canyon:

I did both on separate days and returned to Moab via 313 to 191.

Shafer is listed as being 17 miles. I was traveling with family and we took our time and stopped for pictures when we wanted to. We also stopped to eat lunch for about 45 minutes. I figure to make the loop you are looking at 4 hours min and 6 hours max.

Here's the trail report that the map came from.

http://4x4trailhunters.com/trail.php?id=33

While Shafer and Long Canyon aren't slickrock or challenging trails they were a ton of fun to drive and the scenery was amazing. The hard trails are fun but this is a nice relaxing drive in the country.

Drop me a PM if you have any other questions.
Unread 07-09-2008, 10:15 AM   #12
slvrathlon
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thank you very much. Well my buddy from Minneapolis is flying in to get in on the weekend... should be a stellar weekend.

I think we'll hit that and maybe more.

Thank ya!
Unread 07-09-2008, 02:43 PM   #13
Polecat
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I hope you have a blast man. Wheel safe.

I was there just about a month ago and I can't wait to go back.
Unread 07-11-2008, 01:47 PM   #14
slvrathlon
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Right on! Thanks again for your assistance! I'm heading to the airport in an hr to pick up my buddy and we're off! Picked up a 4gig media card for the digi camera.

Thanks again and for those that might be there this weekend. Hit me up. I'll be checking the forum when I get in tonight. PM me and I'll drop ya my cell.
Unread 07-11-2008, 03:28 PM   #15
Polecat
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Wheel safe and post pics when you can.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.