Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Moab Tips for a First-Timer

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Polecat 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I'm headed to Moab for the first time with my TJ. I've been jeeping with friends down there before, so I know the trails a bit, but I've never actually been in the driver's seat.

A few questions:

1. What trails should I do at a beginner/intermediate level?
2. The rock down there is quite grippy - should I drive in 4 low, or 4 high? (I don't want to put unnecessary strain on my drivetrain if 4 low isn't necessary... ?)
3. Any other thoughts for a first-timer?

Thanks, guys! :)
-Rich

#2 ·
there's plenty of trails that you can run:
fins n things
metal masher
steel bender
copper ridge
secret spiral trail
top of the world

I'm not sure if you have lockers or not but in 4-low you'll be ok and if you take things slow and crawl up obstacles then being in 4-low won't pose a problem. Generally, take things slow, and take the time to pick the lines you want to run. Also make sure to take extra fluids, parts, food and water.

#4 ·
Thanks, guys!

Yeah, I'm mainly just worried about 4 low while turning - I'm experimented a bit on dry land (asphalt) in 4 low and can see why people don't recommend it - lots of drivetrain binding and unbinding that I imagine can lead to a premature break. So, I'm just worried it will be similar on the slickrock. Thoughts?

Also, Polecat, how long is that trail? I think it could be fun to bike as well, maybe? Or would it be too steep, and too long?

Any other thoughts are welcome - thanks guys! :)
-Rich

#6 ·
Also, Polecat, how long is that trail? I think it could be fun to bike as well, maybe? Or would it be too steep, and too long?
I was thinking the same thing. I think it would be an awesome trail to bike... down that is lol As far as steepness it would be fine on a mtn bike. Just stay on the inside away from the cliffs. If I was going to bike it I would start just off of Route 313 in Canyonlands and then have some one pick me up or leave a vehicle at the end of Potash RD. I don't know what the mileage is but it could be easily done in a day. Like Polecat said get Well's guide book... it has a great list of trails in there. Also I don't know how upgraded your rig is or how your driving skills are but don't let Well's fool you. A lot of the trails in his book that he has rated as hard requiring large tires lockers good articulation etc can be done with way less. A lot of the trails have there own unique challenges but most can be done.

#7 ·
Shafer trail would be blast to ride on a bicycle...down from Canyonlands NP that is. When I was going up I saw a few coming down. Same for Long Canyon which is before Shafer if you are heading up Potash Road.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.