Moab regulars> Trails in the rain? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Utah Jeep Forum > Moab regulars> Trails in the rain?

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-05-2013, 03:05 PM   #1
BimotaBruce
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Moab regulars> Trails in the rain?

Hi Utah Jeepers!

My vacation schedule lands me in Moab on April 8-11th....just when a rainstorm is hitting and clearing.

I'm looking for any advice on what trails to either take or avoid in weather like this. You can see my profile for how my Jeep is equipped.

My wife & I will be by ourselves, so we'd planned on taking it easy with trails anyway.....stuff rated 4-5-6 on the RR4Wheeler's scale (normally we'd be on 6-7-8 rated trails).

With the potential of slick slick rock, plus mud...I'd appreciate any advice from the locals.

Thanks for any help!

MetalCloak Overlines, 4" Currie springs & CA's, 1" BL, Rancho 9000's, 35" MTR's, D44's w/ARB's & 4.27's, RCV & Superior Axles, 241 TC, UCF TummyTuck, GenRight mini-boatside sliders DirtWorx bumpers, OR Fab sportcage, Viair OBA, Savvy GTS
BimotaBruce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2013, 06:54 AM   #2
BimotaBruce
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Bump.....45 views....no advice?
MetalCloak Overlines, 4" Currie springs & CA's, 1" BL, Rancho 9000's, 35" MTR's, D44's w/ARB's & 4.27's, RCV & Superior Axles, 241 TC, UCF TummyTuck, GenRight mini-boatside sliders DirtWorx bumpers, OR Fab sportcage, Viair OBA, Savvy GTS
Unread 04-06-2013, 08:20 AM   #3
BLACK04WJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

well I will try my best to give some advice since no one else wants to chime in. looks like you are catching the tail end of the storm.. but you may miss most of it all together. last time I was in moab (a few weeks ago) the weather said rain all day, but it sprinkled for maybe 10 minutes and was a nice warm day the rest of the time. some of these trails are several miles from moab so the moab weather forcast isnt always the same weather as the trails.
Im guessing this is your first time to moab seeing as how you are asking for advice?
some of my favorite trails to run are: Hells revenge, Poision Spider Mesa and Moab Rim. all 3 of these trails will be pretty easy for your LJ. They are all really close to town and very easy to find. Although if it is raining, I would not suggest the rim or hells.. you could do them just fine, it would just be pretty scary on the slick rock for your first time. Poison spider could be done in the rain, ive done it before.
How many trails are you wanting to run? 1 a day?
BLACK04WJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2013, 10:26 AM   #4
BimotaBruce
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks for that Corbin!

Yeah, 1st time to Moab. Talked to peeps, read books, read Forums....thought I was ready to rock n roll.

Buuuuut....all that's thrown out if it might rain or snow. I'm looking for local knowledge about any trails to avoid due to things like mud bogs, swollen rivers, or vertical surfaces that are fun in the dry, but impossible when wet....that kind of thing.

Adding to my anxiety is that we're alone....would rather have a buddy, even in good circumstances ...that's why I'm thinkin stuff like Fins/Things and Behind the Rocks Tip Toe might be prudent....IF those even are prudent in the rain.

Thanks again for any advice!
Unread 04-06-2013, 10:55 AM   #5
BLACK04WJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Fins and things would be possible but pretty slick in a few spots if it is wet at all. I havent done behind the rocks yet so I couldnt say anything about that one.
I would for sure make sure you hit Hells Revenge while you are here.. its just an all around good trail. My guess is there wont be a ton of rain but I could be wrong. There isnt many places for mud on a lot of these trails, just have to worry about wet rock lol.
another one to consider would be Metal Masher. its a good one and you would have no problem doing it.
BLACK04WJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2013, 03:53 PM   #6
SLEVEN
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Second that on metal masher, if its raining it will keep the dust down wich is a big pluss in my book. Shouldnt have any problems in the rain, any difficult obsticle is easily bypassed, no rivers that need to be crossed, and there are not any obsticles near long drops ( cliffs and such ). There are obsticles for you to play on if you get bored overall fun trail. Also agree on hells revenge, have done it in the rain with no problems but would probably not recomend if its raining and you have not run it before. I would stay away from steel bender and others that cross rivers if its raining, I have seen streams become impassible in a very short time when rain is near in areas such as this.
SLEVEN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2013, 02:49 AM   #7
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Kane creek and rose garden hill are two others that cross streams several times. Depending on how heavy the rain is I'd stay away from those. Two trails that aren't as intense as metal masher or hells would be tower arch or 7 mile rim. Tower arch has a fantastic, short hike at the end and a smooth trail with a couple fun obstacles. 7 mile is long with many fun obstacles. Just plan on 5-6 hrs for it. I love both if those trails though.
Unread 04-07-2013, 04:13 PM   #8
BimotaBruce
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Thank you SO much you guys!! Just arrived here.....looking forward to a great time!

Unread 04-07-2013, 04:21 PM   #9
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

The first time I was there it was raining as we started up Hells Revenge.....I was a bit, um....puckered.

Turns out the "slick rock" wasn't slick at all....not even in the rain.

Top of The World is great...the view at the top is awesome.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2013, 08:42 AM   #10
YJYNOTJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I was there during a huge rain storm. Decided to skip Hell's because of it and did Bull Canyon. Turned out to be really cool watching all the water falls, on of my favorite memories of Moab now. Also turned what would be a rather easy trail into more of a challenge. Was only a little bit scary as flash flooding and washouts were possible.
YJYNOTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2013, 01:19 PM   #11
rmaytee
1999 XJ Cherokee 

What time are you leaving town on the 11th? Our group will just be rolling in on the 11th at around 11 or 12. Planning on doing a trail that afternoon. If you're looking for someone, we'll be on fins or hells that afternoon.

I've done fins, fairly wet, and I was fine. That was even before I had a locker. I've done Hell's damp. A little slick is no big deal, it usually soaks into the rock fairly fast.

Have fun!
Unread 04-09-2013, 10:54 AM   #12
BimotaBruce
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Maytee!...thanks for the great offer!

We did Fins yesterday (just before a deluge)....would like to join you and your wrecking crew on Thursday if you're doing Hell's.

I'll PM you my contact info. Thanks again!
Unread 04-14-2013, 08:40 PM   #13
BimotaBruce
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Just got back home, and wanted to thank all who responded and helped.

We had a great time in Moab, to no one's surprise. Maytee & I never did get together, but it was very nice of him to offer to help us out.

As we never had another Jeep with us in case we turtle'd, we stayed mellow on the trail selection. Indeed, we pretty much had every trail we did to ourselves!....saw a total of 2 other rigs and a handful of side by sides in 5 days. !!! Got to do Fins, Metal Masher (thanks for that suggestion BLACK04WJ), Top of the World, and the 24 Hrs of Moab trail (that last one in the pouring rain).

Also did lots of tourist trails like Long Valley Road, Shaffer Road, and Salt Road in Arches Nat Park.

Next time out I hope a couple friends can come too, so that we can run some double diamond stuff without too much trepidation. That was a bit disappointing, but the area is to beautiful that I'm over it.

We'll be back!....thanks again everyone.
Unread 04-14-2013, 08:51 PM   #14
rmaytee
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Glad you hit MM. We did that for our first time Friday. I was pleasantly surprised with that one. Sorry we couldn't hook up. Sounds like you saw some great parts of the area though.
Unread 04-15-2013, 03:10 PM   #15
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimotaBruce View Post
Just got back home, and wanted to thank all who responded and helped.

We had a great time in Moab, to no one's surprise. Maytee & I never did get together, but it was very nice of him to offer to help us out.

As we never had another Jeep with us in case we turtle'd, we stayed mellow on the trail selection. Indeed, we pretty much had every trail we did to ourselves!....saw a total of 2 other rigs and a handful of side by sides in 5 days. !!! Got to do Fins, Metal Masher (thanks for that suggestion BLACK04WJ), Top of the World, and the 24 Hrs of Moab trail (that last one in the pouring rain).

Also did lots of tourist trails like Long Valley Road, Shaffer Road, and Salt Road in Arches Nat Park.

Next time out I hope a couple friends can come too, so that we can run some double diamond stuff without too much trepidation. That was a bit disappointing, but the area is to beautiful that I'm over it.

We'll be back!....thanks again everyone.
I've never heard of the 24 Hrs of Moab trail. Information? Pix?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.