Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Moab - with my 17 year old nephew in April

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  wheelinman03 
#1 ·
Hi Guys - I'm expecting to get my new Rubicon delivered in a couple weeks and am planning to take my nephew (17 years old) to Moab for his first time. I've never owned a Jeep before, and since my husband can't come with us, I'm a little nervouse about this trip. I've been to Moab before and have rented Jeeps a couple times :)confused:did "Chicken Corners" once). We'll be camping at Devil's Garden Camp ground.

Do you have any advise that could help me make this trip special for him? I'm his 46 yr old aunt, and although I enjoy camping and hiking and trail riding etc., I'm a little afraid that he might get bored or that if I take him on trails that are too difficult for me, that I could get us into real trouble.

I bought a book that contains excellent trail maps and advise about the Canyonlands, but would appreciate the advise that you experts could share.

I do plan to buy a basic first aid kit, and I'm thinking I should get a basic tool kit as well to carry in the Jeep (but I'm not sure what it should contain - and I wouldn't be able to fix it if it breaks anyways!).

Any and all advise will surely be appreciated!

See less See more
#2 ·
I have been to Moab a bunch of times. I try to go 2-4 times a year. Love the place.

If you're willing to wait till May, there will be a good sized group of us going then. We will probably split the group each day & go on various trails.

Please do not go alone on the trails. Things happen and things can turn ugly quick.

Lots of folks meet at City Market grocery store parking lot every mourning ~8:00AM. It's in the center of town across from McDonalds & slightly north on the east side of the street.

I have met literally 100's of people there, introduced myself, and tagged along with countless groups.

Or, sometimes I lead trails and others tag along with me.

The Charles Wells books are very nice to have. Pages tend to come loose from the backings - but other than that, they are very informative and well worth the $.

http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Backroads-4-Wheel-Drive-Trails/dp/0966497627

#3 ·
That is the exact book I bought! We bought several others by Wells also. I can't change our travel plans because this is my nephew's spring break from school, but I'm definately going to try to hook up with others in Utah. Anyone planning to be in the Cahyonlands/Arches during April 8 - 9, 2008 and want to hook up? Let me know!

#4 ·
Where in Colorado are you exactly? I live in Durango and might be willing to make a day trip out there work/school/money permitting. I've wheeled all kinds of stuff in Moab. It’s basically where I learned how to wheel. How much experience do you have? Moab is a blast in my opinion anywhere you go there is something special just because of the beauty. :D

#5 ·
I live in Westminster (Near Denver). I've been to Moad 3 or 4 times and rented a Jeep a couple times and an ATV once, but that is the extent of my experience. The Jeep I have ordered is a 2 dr Rubicon with auto transmission. This is going to be a pretty interesting experiance!

#6 ·
You should be fine just stick to the trails that you feel you can do. That book you have is agreat guide. I do feel some of the trails are over rated in the book. I have a 98 sport wrangler with a 5spd and stock axles. I've run Hells revenge, cliff hanger, Kane creek, Fins and things, steel bender, Elephant hill, porcuepine Rim. :cheers2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.