Moab in Late July - Trip & Rental Jeep Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Utah Jeep Forum > Moab in Late July - Trip & Rental Jeep Questions

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-14-2013, 07:01 PM   #1
StrokedWJ
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

Moab in Late July - Trip & Rental Jeep Questions

I'm headed to Denver this summer (July 19th) for some business meetings and like almost every East Coast Jeeper would love to do some wheeling in Moab. So I'm planing to rent a car from Denver, make the drive down to Moab, rent a jeep and wheel for a day. I found 3 main places online, Farabee's, Cliffhanger, and Canyonlands. It looks like Cliffhanger is the only one to rent Rubicons. I'm looking at their Rubicon with 35's.

I've heard it will be hot as heck, but that won't bother me for a day as this will most likely be the only time in my life I'll have the chance to wheel Moab. I wouldn't think I'd have any trouble finding a group to tag along with on a Friday (would I?). Any recommendations for trails or things to make the trip better? I'm hoping for good scenery and fun/moderate/slightly difficult trails but wouldn't want to damage a rental jeep!

Click this -->Think you can beat me?
StrokedWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2013, 07:26 PM   #2
team1k
1992 YJ Wrangler 

One of the local members here, John(311LJ), has a friend at cliffhanger and highly recommends them. I believe they also let you go on some of the harder trails that other rental places put restrictions on.

Hells revenge is a classic and you can also hit fins and things as well since they are right next to each other. I would do Fins first since its easier and will get you a feel for driving on slick rock.

Personally if i could do only one trail it would be the poison spider, golden spike, gold bar rim trail. Trouble is golden spike is restricted by cliffhanger(which i cant understand) so hells and fins are probably the next best option. Ive been there in July and yeah it was warmer but didnt bother me. Take lots of water because i did drink a ton more during the day without realizing it. Finding a group shouldnt be too hard if you wait at the trailhead a little bit or even just start in and see if you catch anyone or they catch up to you. Cant say ive ever been on that trail when there hasnt been at least a couple other people.

Edit: looking online real quick it seems canyonlands jeep is way restrictive however farabees doesnt seem to indicate any restriction so long as you have insurance that covers rentals(and not gieco). you may want to give farabees a call if your interested in the golden spike trail and see if its ok to take one of their rentals there. i would recommend you have at least one other person run that trail with you though.
"YJ's are for poor people" - Brian
team1k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2013, 07:27 PM   #3
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Fins and Things, Hell's Revenge and Top of The World were all fun and easily done in my Rubicon with 32's. There are guided trips too. The rental Jeeps most likely have a/c.

I'm the Yellow Jeep in front of the camera Jeep.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2013, 10:14 PM   #4
MoabWJ
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by team1k View Post
One of the local members here, John(311LJ), has a friend at cliffhanger and highly recommends them. I believe they also let you go on some of the harder trails that other rental places put restrictions on.

Hells revenge is a classic and you can also hit fins and things as well since they are right next to each other. I would do Fins first since its easier and will get you a feel for driving on slick rock.

Personally if i could do only one trail it would be the poison spider, golden spike, gold bar rim trail. Trouble is golden spike is restricted by cliffhanger(which i cant understand) so hells and fins are probably the next best option. Ive been there in July and yeah it was warmer but didnt bother me. Take lots of water because i did drink a ton more during the day without realizing it. Finding a group shouldnt be too hard if you wait at the trailhead a little bit or even just start in and see if you catch anyone or they catch up to you. Cant say ive ever been on that trail when there hasnt been at least a couple other people.

Edit: looking online real quick it seems canyonlands jeep is way restrictive however farabees doesnt seem to indicate any restriction so long as you have insurance that covers rentals(and not gieco). you may want to give farabees a call if your interested in the golden spike trail and see if its ok to take one of their rentals there. i would recommend you have at least one other person run that trail with you though.
Be aware that almost all of the rental places put huge restrictions on what trails their rigs are allowed on. Any violation puts any damage costs directly to you. Cliffhanger is the most liberal of the rental shops in town. Farabees used to be, however, they've had some severely damage rigs, and have started restricting their rentals. Read the fine print.
Unread 03-15-2013, 01:32 AM   #5
BLACK04WJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I'd say hit hells revenge/fins n things/poison spider. although I haven't done golden spike.. I like the others because they are not all day long trips. golden spike is like 8 hrs min (so I've heard).
also, I see you normally drive a WJ correct? when your trip gets closer, if I can I will bring my WJ down and could show you some trails. I'm not a hard core wheeler but I do enjoy wheelin in Moab
BLACK04WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2013, 03:05 AM   #6
team1k
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK04WJ
I'd say hit hells revenge/fins n things/poison spider. although I haven't done golden spike.. I like the others because they are not all day long trips. golden spike is like 8 hrs min (so I've heard).
also, I see you normally drive a WJ correct? when your trip gets closer, if I can I will bring my WJ down and could show you some trails. I'm not a hard core wheeler but I do enjoy wheelin in Moab
Golden spike is that long simply because its 3 trails combined into 1. Same as if you run fins, hells, and poison time wise. Actually that may take even longer than the spike trail.

Really it just comes down to what your rental company is going to allow
Unread 03-15-2013, 03:10 AM   #7
team1k
1992 YJ Wrangler 

As a side note I'm probably running the spike trail during EJS and can give you an update on how it is if you want
Unread 03-15-2013, 03:26 AM   #8
BLACK04WJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by team1k

Golden spike is that long simply because its 3 trails combined into 1. Same as if you run fins, hells, and poison time wise. Actually that may take even longer than the spike trail.

Really it just comes down to what your rental company is going to allow
that's true. but I figure for someone who will only be in town one day, they don't want to be on that long of a trail. if he did the hells/fins/poison (or another combo) he could see how spread out everything is and have a change to stop in town as well between trails. just my thoughts. I still need to run golden spike..
Unread 03-15-2013, 09:45 AM   #9
StrokedWJ
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

Awesome. Thanks for the replies guys. Watching some youtube vids of the different trails now. Black04WJ (Corbin?) I'd love to meet up with at least one other fellow WJ wheeler! I wish mine could make the trip out with me!

Unread 03-15-2013, 09:59 AM   #10
BLACK04WJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrokedWJ
Awesome. Thanks for the replies guys. Watching some youtube vids of the different trails now. Black04WJ (Corbin?) I'd love to meet up with at least one other fellow WJ wheeler! I wish mine could make the trip out with me!
well I'm only 2 hours out of Moab so if I can get work off, I'll come down for the day
and yes, I'm Corbin.
Unread 04-15-2013, 08:29 PM   #11
StrokedWJ
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

I've booked the flight, hotel and rental car! Just trying to decide on the jeep now. I was looking at getting a 4" lifted Rubi with 35's, but after re-reading Jeff's post I think the "Modified Rubicon" will suffice and keep $50 in my pocket.

Unread 04-15-2013, 11:16 PM   #12
sanctified
2013 JK Wrangler 

I think someone posted this earlier but just make sure that the rental place will allow you to ride the trails you want before leaving a deposit. We were down in Moab a couple years ago and rented 2 JKU's for the day hoping to do some good trails. After we paid and were on the way out the door the guy asked what trails we planned to hit. We said we hadn't decided yet but were thinking about Poison Spider or going to see the Confluence (Elephant's Back or something like that.) We had done these trails years ago in a stock wagoneer without too much issue and didn't think they would be a problem in a lifted Rubicon. The guy was very quick to tell us that if we took the rentals out there we were up **** creek and would be buying the damaged rigs. Anyway, we weren't real happy about what we thought was a bait and switch after we paid for them. Apparently though the trails we wanted to go on have gotten quite a bit harder over the years. Point being though is to make sure the rental place will allow you to get off the asphalt. (We went two places, one was a dirt road that ended at a cave thing that was open on both sides, and also fins and things. We had a good time when everything was said and done but wish we would have shopped the rental place a little better.)
Utah Jeep Crew #178
sanctified is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2013, 05:53 PM   #13
StrokedWJ
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

^10-4. I'm looking at Cliffhangers website and they have a list of "approved" trails as well as "prohibited". Thanks

Unread 07-11-2013, 12:24 AM   #14
StrokedWJ
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

One WEEK! I've got everything lined up. Corbin, will you or any other JF'ers be around? I'll be arriving mid afternoon Thursday (18th) and hopefully picking the jeep up then. Planning to get an early start and wheel all day Friday (19th).

Unread 07-11-2013, 09:19 AM   #15
BLACK04WJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Doesn't look like ill be able to make it down. I have some Army training this weekend, so I won't be able to get away from my other job next weekend.
If I hear of anyone going down, I will let you know.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.