Looking for something new in Moab - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Utah Jeep Forum > Looking for something new in Moab

Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 01-05-2014, 05:56 PM   #31
Alcancia
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Winter on the Rocks is in a few weeks. That will be my first time in the Sand Hollow area.

Utah Jeep Crew #162
Alcancia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2014, 09:25 PM   #32
rmaytee
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I just heard about that. Too bad its over my anniversary. My wife would definitely not classify that as an anniversary appropriate activity.
Unread 01-26-2014, 11:34 AM   #33
Polecat
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Top of the World is a great trail. Not difficult but an amazing view at the top. I too am looking for something other than Hells, Fins, and Spider. I did Kane Creek last summer with some other UJC'ers and it is a great trail. Sevenmile is nice as well.

I keep wanting to take a day trip up into the La Sals as well as the Dome Plateau area.

The next time i go I will do Sevenmile for sure. I've only done it once before and my wife has never been on it.We'll do Top of the World as well because of the view.
Unread 01-26-2014, 03:57 PM   #34
rmaytee
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Dome plateau is really cool depending on what you're after. I went on that trail a year ago with my dad who has never done any wheeling, so it was more of a site seeing/talking/bonding trail. Cool to see the caves and old cabins. 2 wheel drive the whole time. The next day we did hells though. An unforgettable trip really. Perfect trails for that particular trip.
Unread 01-26-2014, 07:57 PM   #35
EllisWyatt
2013 WK 

+1 for Top of the World. The views at the end really are amazing, some of the best in the Moab area.
EllisWyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2014, 09:05 PM   #36
Polecat
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I think it's wanting something scenic and relaxing with Dome Plateau.
Unread 01-28-2014, 12:52 PM   #37
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polecat View Post
...I keep wanting to take a day trip up into the La Sals as well as the Dome Plateau area....
I would love to run Dome Plateau one morning, (never done it) and then Top of the World in the afternoon. This is on my list for our next trip.
*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
85IrocZ-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2014, 05:30 PM   #38
team1k
1992 YJ Wrangler 

wouldn't you run top of the world first, then dome plateau? seems like the exit for top of the world is near the entrance to dome plateau, but the exit for dome plateau is quite a ways up the road from the top of the world entrance.
"YJ's are for poor people" - Brian
team1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2014, 01:30 PM   #39
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

When I ran TOTW 2 years ago, I thought the entrance and exit were in the same location.

I was just thinking TOTW in the afternoon for cool pics up top at Sunset, the view is amazing up there. But the same could be true for dome plateau as well.
*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
Unread 01-30-2014, 01:53 PM   #40
team1k
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85IrocZ-28
When I ran TOTW 2 years ago, I thought the entrance and exit were in the same location. I was just thinking TOTW in the afternoon for cool pics up top at Sunset, the view is amazing up there. But the same could be true for dome plateau as well.
It could be. I ran it from the rose garden hill side though so I didn't come in the usual way. Still though the entrance/exit seems closer to the entrance of dome plateau if I'm thinking correctly. Sunset is probably best on TOTW. There is a cool overlook on dome though that would be decent for sunrises since it faces east
"YJ's are for poor people" - Brian
team1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2014, 11:10 PM   #41
Polecat
2006 LJ Wrangler 

TOW is definitely on our list for our next trip and I think it would be a good trail for her to drive on. When we drove it we did it in the morning with a group of 4 Jeeps, had lunch in town then did Hells in the afternoon. The Wells book makes it sound like you could spend quite a bit of time out on Dome. Not sure if I would want to try doing that (for the first time) and TOW on the same day.

A cool place to eat is at the Red Cliffs Lodge. They have an open air pavilion with an all you can eat cookout. Makes for a nice stop with a great view right on the river.
Unread 02-05-2014, 11:53 AM   #42
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

We like Red Cliffs. We stayed there the two previous thanksgivings, and in town this last year. Great location and nice atmosphere.

Unread 04-23-2014, 10:32 PM   #43
rmaytee
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Okay, so we ventured to 7 mile rim, and it was a snoozer to almost the entire group. Looking over the rest of the trails that have been suggested. Based on the videos and description and ratings of trails, I'm thinking Flat Iron Mesa will be similar to 7 mile. Our favorites have been the Triple combination, Metal Masher and Hell's Revenge. I think the only thing that can stack up as far as consistant enjoyable obstacles is Cliffhanger and Behind the Rocks. We're not looking for romper-stomping, ramming speed, biggie country. But more technical crawling, that you aren't threatened to break something or feel under prepared because you don't have 37+ inch tires and dual spools.

We have a trip in June planned, and am interested in opinions of Cliffhanger and Behind the Rocks - based on the trails mentioned that we have really enjoyed. I understand Cliffhanger has lots of pucker, which is fine if needed to get to some fun obstacles, but I have officially written off Moab Rim after running it 3 times in the past year. I just don't feel comfortable with the constant off-camber nature of the trail right next to the cliff. The cliff itself isn't bad, but the non-stop feeling of being tipped off the edge. Hopefully the cliff-side ride of CH isn't as nerve-racking as Moab Rim. And what about Behind the Rocks? Any other ideas?

Sorry, we're kind of a bunch or princesses; trails can't be too boring, but not too nasty either.
Unread 04-24-2014, 10:28 AM   #44
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I've never run Behind the Rocks, but we hit Cliffhanger last year. If you don't like off-camber, falling-off-a-cliff feelings.... You probably won't love Cliffhanger. I felt like I was going to roll more on that trail than on any other trails combined. Normally I can get a little nervous or jazzed up on one or two obstacles on a trail, but on this trail I was uncomfortable and anxious for the entire 4 hours round trip. Fun obstacles occasionally though. haha!
Unread 04-24-2014, 05:28 PM   #45
rmaytee
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Ha! That's kind of what I was afraid of. That's why I wanted to hear some opinions. All I normally hear is that it has a lot of pucker factor due to the cliff. I can handle the cliff edge. Just not the constant feeling of being thrown off of it.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.