Looking for something new in Moab - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Utah Jeep Forum > Looking for something new in Moab

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipArtec Flash Sale - 15% off and Free Shipping over $300

Unread 12-24-2013, 10:30 PM   #1
rmaytee
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Looking for something new in Moab

I'm looking for some direction for my next spring trip to moab. We've been running Hell's Revenge, Fins N Things, Moab Rim, Metal Masher, Poison Spider, Gold Bar, Golden Spike for the past couple years. I love the trails, but we've done all of them several times, but we're looking for something new.

My cherokee has 33" muds with a rear locker and plenty of flex. Most the rigs I roll with are at similar capabilities.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Unread 12-25-2013, 04:21 PM   #2
Deltagolf
2013 JK Wrangler 

Have you tried Flat Iron Mesa?
Deltagolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2013, 05:22 PM   #3
rmaytee
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I never have. What can you tell me about it?
Unread 12-26-2013, 06:21 PM   #4
clgielin
2003 WJ 

If you're comfortable on the Rim, give Cliffhanger a try. There is a great overlook of the potash plant at the end.

2003 WJ 4.7L
Build Thread Here: 2003 WJ
Michigan Tech Jeepers #4
Utah JeepCrew #16
clgielin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2013, 06:24 PM   #5
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clgielin View Post
If you're comfortable on the Rim, give Cliffhanger a try. There is a great overlook of the potash plant at the end.
I loved Cliff Hanger....great views, and a pretty good pucker factor if you're afraid of heights.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2013, 09:30 PM   #6
rmaytee
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I get pretty sketchy along cliff edges, but if there's good fun obstacles along the way, I'm game. But if its strictly about scaring the crap out of yourself, I'd probably skip it. I have looked at several videos of the trail, and they all seem to show the same obstacle.
Unread 12-26-2013, 09:49 PM   #7
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

I recommend Seven Mile Rim.
*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
85IrocZ-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2013, 09:53 PM   #8
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmaytee View Post
I get pretty sketchy along cliff edges, but if there's good fun obstacles along the way, I'm game. But if its strictly about scaring the crap out of yourself, I'd probably skip it. I have looked at several videos of the trail, and they all seem to show the same obstacle.
They all show the "rock pile" along the edge, that you have to climb on the way back...it's not the only obstacle, but it has the biggest pucker factor.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs

Unread 12-26-2013, 11:51 PM   #9
Deltagolf
2013 JK Wrangler 

I love seven mile as well. Flat Iron has a few great obstacles mixed in with some great views. It's north of Moab about 12 miles which gives a little different terrain to experience.
Deltagolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2013, 09:07 AM   #10
rmaytee
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Just watched a few youtubes of seven mile. That look promising. I think I'd be game for all three of the suggested trails (flat iron mesa, cliffhanger, seven mile rim)

Any estimates of time involved with each?
Unread 12-28-2013, 07:24 PM   #11
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Two of us did Cliff Hanger in a couple of hours....but we were the only Jeeps on the trail.

Unread 12-28-2013, 10:44 PM   #12
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Cliffhanger definitely makes you pay attention. And seven mile rim is a personal favorite. You could also try Kane creek. Beautiful scenery and a nice mix of easy and challenging sections.
Unread 12-28-2013, 11:09 PM   #13
Modstock
1999 XJ Cherokee 

What about (Behind the Rocks) . One day I'll tip-toe BTR .
Modstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2013, 05:32 AM   #14
Alcancia
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmaytee View Post
I felt that Moab Rim was worse than Cliffhanger in regard to just being on the edge for the sake of being on the edge. I did run Moab Rim with the wife though, opposed to running Cliffhanger solo. That always has a way of changing the perception.

Kane Creek Canyon is one of our favorites, lots of water crossings. Definitely a unique trail for Moab if you're looking for something completely different. After a long dirt road at the beginning you're rewarded with 15-20 water crossings as you pass through the bottom of the canyon floor. Then there are a couple of fairly technical hills at the end to climb up out of the canyon. It does see some flooding during rain season though. Trees, dirt, rocks and other debris pile up in the canyon and it was impassable the last time we tried it.

Area BFE has something for everyone and is quickly becoming our go-to spot. Minor Threat definitely pushes the limits of my XJ on 33's. Green Day is way fun with some very technical wedges for the daring and easy bypasses for the more conservative. End of the day though, it's just a big playground and everybody can find something for them.

I wasn't too impressed with Flat Iron Mesa. Seemed more "long bumpy dirt road" than it did "rock crawling trail." In fairness though, Metal Masher felt like that too and then I learned about all the side obstacles. Not to say that either of these don't have some cool features, they're just spread way far out. Obstacle dense trails like Poison Spider and Hell's Revenge have ruined me I guess.
Utah Jeep Crew #162
Alcancia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2013, 06:51 PM   #15
rmaytee
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I've never considered BFE. I just always assumed that was buggy country. Interesting to hear a similar set-up is enjoying it so much. Maybe Green Day would be a good option.

I felt like Metal Masher was exactly opposite. I thought it had one cool thing after another. I have LOVED Hells Revenge, but after doing it so many times, it seems like I only look forward to 3-4 obstacles on that trail. Maybe I just need to give HR a break?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.