Looking for some drive line help. (Pics) - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Utah Jeep Forum > Looking for some drive line help. (Pics)

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 07-03-2013, 03:31 PM   #31
sanctified
2013 JK Wrangler 

Thanks. I have a dana 30 up front and an AMC 20 in the rear with one piece axles. I may end up just ordering that set since I do need everything except maybe the pinion seal and it seems to be a decent deal for what it comes with. I'll have to check on the 1350 yoke. I'm guessing that is beefier than a 1310 and would hold up better to the abuse that I am sure its going to get.

Utah Jeep Crew #178
sanctified is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 09:32 PM   #32
sanctified
2013 JK Wrangler 

I started to work on my spring swap this today. I got the driver side off without any issues. I decided to paint the shackles so I pulled the pass side to do both at the same time. While I was waiting for them to dry I started to pull the rest of the pass side apart. BOMBSHELL: When I pulled the u bolts the perch fell off. I guess both welds broke and on the hub side the weld took a chunk of the axle tube with it. There was axle grease there so I am thinking it at least cracked through the tube and grease was passing through. Not real excited about this new development but it does seem to clarify why my crap was moving around so much. The "old" springs have tons of arch on them when the load is off.

What does this mean for the axle? Can it be mended? I have already dropped money into them by adding one piece axle shafts to them. Where should I go from here?
Utah Jeep Crew #178
Unread 07-04-2013, 09:51 PM   #33
team1k
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I think having someone weld it will be fine. At least from what I can tell in the pictures it doesn't look too bad.
"YJ's are for poor people" - Brian
team1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 10:24 PM   #34
sanctified
2013 JK Wrangler 

Thats good to read. For the last hour and a half I have been scouring KSL looking for replacement axles. The only thing solid I found was a set from a "stock 87 CJ7" with coil spring conversion plates welded on in Logan. I may call tomorrow on them anyway to see what the gears are (I have 2.73's now) but am happy that there is a possibility to mend what I have. Thanks for helping to ease my mind tonight.
Utah Jeep Crew #178
Unread 07-15-2013, 02:34 PM   #35
sanctified
2013 JK Wrangler 

So I am finally getting back on this thing after getting the major parts that I have ordered online. I am wondering about where the best place to pick up spring u bolts is? I tried to look up PN's on napas website but they didn't pull anything up with my vehicle info listed. Will any decent auto parts place have them in stock or do I need to go somewhere special? Looking for the best price recommendation as well in the Salt Lake area. I'm guessing I'll need to just take in one of the old springs to have them size compare it.

Thanks.
Utah Jeep Crew #178
Unread 07-15-2013, 03:16 PM   #36
Moab_cj5
2010 JK Wrangler 

Six states i think sells them, as does autozone etc. You just need to know what radius you need.
Moab_cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 03:31 PM   #37
team1k
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I too also use 6 states. They bend them on site so you can choose the thickness, diameter, and length of the bolts. This is at the Orem store but I assume slc is the same
"YJ's are for poor people" - Brian
team1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 04:01 PM   #38
sanctified
2013 JK Wrangler 

Sounds good. The Six States is pretty close so I'll zip by them on wednesday when I drive in to work. Hopefully I'll have some progress on getting the hole in the axle welded up and new perches burned in this weekend. I need to get this thing back on the road. I just ordered new tail lights since when I was taking the diamond plate off I broke the driver side. I also managed to remember that I had broken the speedo cable and got one of those as well.
Utah Jeep Crew #178
Unread 07-17-2013, 02:33 PM   #39
pagnani
1983 CJ7 

I just converted my CJ springs to 4" Lift YJ Springs. I have a bunch of left over parts, shackles etc. Make sure you use new u-bolts. Let me know what you need I might be able to save you a couple of bucks. Nick 801-602-785four
Unread 07-18-2013, 02:13 PM   #40
sanctified
2013 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the offer. I got my new u-bolts for the back end yesterday from Six States. I've got what I need for the backend but I haven't started to accumulate parts for the front end yet but I imagine I will start to do that shortly. I know I will new shackles, perches, and spring hangers. I'm reusing the rear end shackles which aren't stock and seem pretty beefy. Let me know if you have any of those things that will fit a 2.5" spring on the front end.
Utah Jeep Crew #178
Unread 07-20-2013, 03:03 PM   #41
sanctified
2013 JK Wrangler 

I finally made time for the Jeep today. I got the hole welded up from where the perch broke off and got the new ones burned on. Then I mounted the new stock YJ springs on the rear end and got the axle attached. My new speedo wire came in so I threw that on as well. After a run to Harbor Freight to pick up a riveter I ought to be able to get back on the road.

I hope I did the perches right. This is how I figured out the angle. I first leveled the axle based on the driver side perch. Then I put the new perch on the pass side with the angle finder to level that out. Tack welds then burned all the way in on the pass side before grinding off the drive perch. Repeat on that side. My welds are ugly but I think they are on there pretty decent. Anyway, my buddy from work that said he would help me weld it up wasn't available today and I wanted to get it done so I stumbled through it.

I still need to pick up a pinion yoke and a slip yoke for the driveline. I hope to do that Monday if Six States and Tattons have what I need.
Utah Jeep Crew #178

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.