Learn from my FAIL - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Utah Jeep Forum > Learn from my FAIL

Save 17.76% for the 4th of july with ruffstuff specialtiesIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSave on AEM Intakes from XT!

Unread 06-19-2015, 08:54 PM   #1
otherwisebusy
2000 WJ 

Learn from my FAIL

As I drove home from my failed attempt to cross over the mountain from the valley to Ophir, I pondered why there was not a thread that would simply serve as a warning to others; Learn from my FAIL. SO I shall relate my story of woe.

I got off work early and had a thought of going to Ophir, taking the long way (like everyone else) past 5 Mile Pass. After passing Eagle Mountain I wondered if the newly updated Nav in my 14 GC would have a more "adventurous" way to get there over the mountain. Sure enough there was a "short" way that took me up Lewiston Rd to Manning Canyon Rd and up and over to Ophir Canyon road. After all I wanted to do some off highway travel.

I'll try to be brief. The drive up is quite lovely and peaceful. Towards the top there is a T in the road. So the GPS was a bit confused at this point. If you go right you come to a dead end in the form of a gate and a big sign warning you of hazards from a mine. (apparently people go to get busy here, as evidenced by the good amount of used condoms on the ground *EEW!) So figuring it MUST be the other way, and it WAS on the screen, I went back and took the left turn. I came across a hill in the road made to keep all but high clearance vehicles out (or at least a bit higher than a WK2 with quadralift at max height. Good thing for sliders). I keep going down the one lane "road" and come to another mound just like the last. There was a third even farther down. The scrub is growing closer to the road and I am scratching my paint now but there is no where to turn around on the, well lets face it, its more of a big goat path now. I keep going and the road just ends. No warning, unless by now you are smarter than I and realize that those mounds may be to keep people out.

Major pucker factor as I back down the goat path and over one of the mounds, making sure I scratch up the tailgate too, to a point where I can do a 15 point turn, and head making sure the other side gets scratched up just like the other side.

So learn from my fail and:
-Don't go up Manning Canyon road past the mounds
-Realize that sometimes you should just turn back
-I'm sure there is more to learn but I cant see thru the tears I have from having thought about the work that needs to be done to repair the scratches in the paint. Maybe it will buff out. There goes what's left of my bonus.

I may be exaggerating a little about the goat path.

Let the virtual slaps upside the head begin and feel free to start sharing your own FAILS and help a brother out.

2014 GC Limited, Off road adventure II, quadra drive, quadralift, luxury, NAV, Mopar Sliders UJC#141
otherwisebusy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2015, 08:43 AM   #2
team1k
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah it used to be you could drive through that gate to mercer and then to Ophir. As for the other road, I've driven it to the bend in the road before where all the loose shale is, but never have gone further. Now I know where it goes, thanks
"YJ's are for poor people" - Brian
team1k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.